First Generation Agile Pendulum

Vandante

Reaction score
So this is a thing.
Agile Pendulum Gen 1 72527 Flat Black - RondoMusic.com
pendgen172527flatbk1.jpg

pendgen172527flatbk5.jpg

The pickup positioning seems to be a bit wonky and considering the Agile's current selection of multiscales, I feel that this is a step backwards. However it's fairly cheap at 400USD, so it's got that going for it, and pickup placement aside, it seems to be a good platform to economically introduce someone to fanned frets. What are SSO's thoughts toward this?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Talk about blast from the past, did Kurt find that under some boxes or something? :lol:

If you search there were tons of threads on these when they first came out, but some quick "tl;dr" everyone complained about the pickup position except the couple (like literally two people) who actually bought one. Everyone pretty much speculated it would sound awful, but in practice the guys with them didn't seem to terribly mind.

Vandante

Reaction score
It was brought back by popular demand, so somebody must have wanted it! Maybe it's Kurt's response to Ibanez' FF prototypes? It seems like something interesting to buy, but my only hang up about it is that it'll sound like a middle pickup. Honestly, this screams "failed prototype." Considering the price, this might actually be fairly cost effective to route and install new pickups in. Although if that route were to be taken, it may just be better to buy one of the other Agile models.

seven_stringer

Reaction score
If you have enough woodworking skills to make a body you could buy this and use the neck and hardware on the body design of your choice. Another option is to make your own pickguard and do a fender style swimming pool route for whatever pickups you can fit between the end of the fretboard and the bridge. I'm not a big fan of filling a pickup route so I would build a body from scratch as my first choice. My second choice would be to route off the top of the guitar body and add a Maple, Ash or some other bookmatched or solid wood top. Lastly, I would do the pickguard and Fender style route. Of course it all depends on the quality of the neck and hardware otherwise it's not worth the time and money. Eventually someone will offer a neck like the Carvin NT6 or NT7 but with fan frets which will make it even easier to build a multiscale.

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
Many guitars have the bridge pickup angled so that the pickup is farther away from the bass-side saddles than the treble-side saddles.

That does look a bit extreme, though.

Vandante

Reaction score
Another option is to make your own pickguard and do a fender style swimming pool route for whatever pickups you can fit between the end of the fretboard and the bridge.

Does anyone sell pickguard blanks? I would assume that most premade ones wouldn't work because of the staggered bridge. Maybe someone custom makes them to order?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Does anyone sell pickguard blanks? I would assume that most premade ones wouldn't work because of the staggered bridge. Maybe someone custom makes them to order?

You're going to have a hell of a time trying to put a pickguard on that carved top.

beneharris

Reaction score
Talk about blast from the past, did Kurt find that under some boxes or something? :lol:

If you search there were tons of threads on these when they first came out, but some quick "tl;dr" everyone complained about the pickup position except the couple (like literally two people) who actually bought one. Everyone pretty much speculated it would sound awful, but in practice the guys with them didn't seem to terribly mind.

I've never quite understood the animosity towards a non-angled pickup in a situation like this. How long have there been guitars with angled pickups and straight frets? Nobody really seemed to mind those. That's sort of the same, isn't it?

seven_stringer

Reaction score
Even though the body is carved it appears to have a flat section large enough for a non traditional pickguard. Places that sell luthier supplies usually carry blank pickguard stock. You can also use wood, metal, plastic etc.

Vandante

Reaction score
I've never quite understood the animosity towards a non-angled pickup in a situation like this. How long have there been guitars with angled pickups and straight frets? Nobody really seemed to mind those. That's sort of the same, isn't it?

From what I understand, it's more of a practical, rather than aesthetic, issue. The pickup seem to be okay for the higher strings but on the lower strings, it'll sound more like a center pickup instead of a bridge pickup. Can anyone confirm/refute?

Vandante

Reaction score
I'll go ahead and say I love it. I don't know how it'd sound but it's aesthetically pleasing to me except for the pickup placement. I seriously dig everything else about it though.

Agreed. And at 100 or 200 cheaper than the other FF options, I feel that it's the perfect introduction to multi scales aside from the pickup. Now that I'm thinking about it, would it be a good idea to route out the pickup lane and just replace the pickup?

Vandante

Reaction score
Wait a tick...I should be able to poach the hardware from this and put it on a body blank of my choice, right (provided I properly shave the neck joint/pocket and get the scale measurements right)? If so, then hello 7 string fanned fret xiphos.

DudeManBrother

Hey...how did everybody get in my room?
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure it's a neck thru like the other pendulums right? Don't see how you'll be re using the neck if that's the case.

Latest posts

')