First go at mixing, need another set of ears to help me improve.

• Thread starter awjb68
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

awjb68

Reaction score
Hi,
I have just finished recording a tune with an old school death metal vibe.

This is my first go at mixing and would like someone else to check it out and give some advice on where to improve.

Here is a link to the tune:
https://soundcloud.com/intoruin/citadel-of-lies

Any help appreciated
Cheers.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ChrispyFinch

Reaction score
Thats your first go at mixing?! pretty solid i'd say, but im not the guy to take advice from.
My only criticism as a listener is to maybe modify the reverb on the vocals, some sections it seems to poke out quite a bit, and it seems like its only the 2nd vocal track that's a higher register doing it.
Killer!

thebeesknees22

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
nice one dude! This is all just opinion, but maybe the kick/snare can come up juuust a hair. maybe a tiny bit more compression on the snare/kick too. (but i'm one that really like's popping/smackin' drums)

those are really minor/nit picky notes.

awjb68

Reaction score
Many thanks for the replies and encouragement.
Yes, I received the vocals as is from the vocalist and he is aware of that prob after listening to the mix in his car stereo. When it comes time to do a final mix the vocals will be raw so that we can more tastefully play with effects in context.
Regarding the drums, I will try adding a bit more snare and kick like you suggested and see how it sounds. Maybe its a case of cleaning up some frequencies that might be cluttering up the area?
Thanks again.

thebeesknees22

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
the drum thing is probably more/less a matter of taste. I just like big drums as I feel like they add a lot of energy to a track. (and i was flipping back and forth between your mix and some other things like pantera/metallica. And it sounded like the drums were a tad higher in those mixes. Like those snares just really get smacked.

Like I said thought I'm just being nitpicky. Your mix sounds good overall. I agree on chrispyfinch's note on the vocal too.

awjb68

Reaction score
thanks for the reply. I don't mind the nitpickiness at all and appreciate you having a look and offering suggestions. Anything that helps me lift my game haha.
I will play around with the drums after I finish work for the day.

awjb68

Reaction score

John

New album out now: https://goo.gl/PdPVYh
Reaction score
Pretty good for a first go at mixing (no doubt, better than my first mixes that will not see the light of day at this rate).

My two cents would pertain to the vocals, even on the revised takes you recently shared. Out of curiosity, are you performing those as well? In any case, I think it would benefit from more compression- don't be afraid to pin those down.
There's several ways to skin the cat, figuratively speaking, so there's room to experiment and figure out what you'll like more. ie- I've liked the results from limiting the crap out of screamed vocals on my stuff, after hearing the suggestion and approach used by Joel Wanasek, but like many other things your mileage may vary.

awjb68

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion - I'll take it on board. I only tracked the guitars and bass.
In terms of the suggestion for compression, what is it about the vocals that are standing out to you (just so I know what to listen for)? I'll see if I can find what you are referring to regarding Joel Wanasek. I'll also run it by the vocalist for the project.
Otherwise everything else reasonable?
Cheers and thanks for the help.

')