First Guitar for my Daughter

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Diggers

Reaction score
It's very cool you're getting your daughter a guitar, all the best to her with learning to play :yesway:

My first guitar was a 3/4 size nylon strung acoustic. You can picked those up dead cheap, so maybe get her one of those (too). Easy on the fingers and fairly pleasant sounding, not to mention easy to hold and very light.

El Caco

Djavli te ponesli
Contributor
Reaction score
Annie likes pop music, when it comes to guitar her main interest/influence would be pop rock, especially if it's a girl playing.

However she thinks that the 7 string clips she has heard sound better, that's why she would prefer to play a 7.

The problem with acoustic is there is she has no interest in acoustic at all. Every time I have played an acoustic clip to her she has walked away before it is finished, including a clip of Avril playing an acoustic and Avril is one of her favourite artists.

It's hard enough to get a child to commit to something, it's even harder to get a child to commit to something that has a steep learning curve, so I think it's best to make it as fun as possible for them.

If one of the first songs she learns to play is a song that she likes and it sounds like the song she listens to all the time, then that would motivate her to continue.

An electric guitar is cool to her, an acoustic is not. You don't have to encourage kids to do cool things.

One year ago the only music she listened to was pop music, she would always ask me to turn off my metal. Then her younger brothers made metal and rock cool so she started listening to that as well. Since I bought my guitar she has become interested in guitar, now metal is more cool, then she compared clips played on a 7 and on a 6 and she thinks 7's rule,as a proud father who likes Metal, I like the way this is heading and gently continue to prod her this way.

In a few years who knows she might be a little shredder and I think it would be really cool when she is in year seven when her school has it's talent competition if she gets up there and starts shredding, even better if it's on a seven. In a town full of artists and musicians, that would blow them away.

Variant

Banned
Reaction score
Meh... short scale? :scratch:

Go big! :shred:

ibanez_rg2228.jpg

synapse.jpg

J.K. :D

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
Man I think that guitar player must start from acoustick, regular chords...etc (I mean some basics) So get a small nylon acoustick guitar

Here's the thing though. If a kid wants to rock on something with lots of distortion, then they're not even going to want to play an acoustic. then since they can't get a sound somewhat like their favorite band they wont want to practice.

El Caco

Djavli te ponesli
Contributor
Reaction score
Am I supposed to give you red or green :scratch:

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
It's hard enough to get a child to commit to something, it's even harder to get a child to commit to something that has a steep learning curve, so I think it's best to make it as fun as possible for them.

An electric guitar is cool to her, an acoustic is not. You don't have to encourage kids to do cool things.

:agreed:

I think the idea that kids need to start out on an acoustic guitar is an outdated one.

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
Here's the thing though. If a kid wants to rock on something with lots of distortion, then they're not even going to want to play an acoustic. then since they can't get a sound somewhat like their favorite band they wont want to practice.

:agreed: Exactamundo. When I was in high school, I had an electric guitar and an acoustic and my best friend's brother thought my electric guitar was AWESOME but he thought that acoustics were the most uncool thing in the universe. He always showed so much interest in the electric but couldn't be any less interested in the acoustic. I tried to convince him that the acoustic was cool too, but he wouldn't hear it. :lol:

And a lot of kids are like that. Giving them an instrument that they have no interest in is a sure fire way for them never to practice it.

yevetz

I am a COCK!!!!!!!!!
Contributor
Reaction score
If she want so buy some 7 string ibby for her. I mean that anyway if she has a little fingers etc she will specialize for it. You are older than me and I respect you, so don't think that I want to offend you or so. But WE ALL ARE HUMANS, WE ARE THE MOST STRONG AND MOST SMART RACE ON EARTH COZ WE KNOW HOW TO SPECIALIZE FOR ANYTHING HERE. So I think even with 7321 she will fell good after 1-2 mounth of practice. But I strongly recomemded start from acoustick coz if she will became guitar player in future she will need the some skils that he can get from acoustick. WE ALL WAS START FROM BASIC.

Good luck in your choice.

stubhead

Feral Buddha
Reaction score
Ibanez all the way. Their quality control on inexpensive guitars is way, way ahead of most, for the obvious reason they want to hook the kiddies right out of the cradle - the McDonald's business model....:bowdown:

The Squier mini-Strats are nasty, it needed new tuners and some fretwork right out of the box. I succumbed to a really cheap price on one, at least it inspired me to build this 24" scale "Mustang" from Warmoth wood:

MyPictures00132ejpgmsg699006AF-C73B.jpg

Having a little guitar is real handy for noodling, working out parts, playing in bed, while you're driving etc. :sephi:

El Caco

Djavli te ponesli
Contributor
Reaction score
Ibanez all the way. Their quality control on inexpensive guitars is way, way ahead of most, for the obvious reason they want to hook the kiddies right out of the cradle - the McDonald's business model....:bowdown:

I think you may be right. The Ibanez site says the body on the Mikro is Mahogany, the resellers advertise Alder, either way this guitar is $120 and the people who are handing out the big dollars are stuck with basswood (not that I dislike basswood).

It strikes me as strange that such a cheap guitar has a higher spec then a more expensive model. I think it supports peoples claims about Ibanez pricing, maybe, actually I can't understand how this guitar can be so cheap.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
Having a little guitar is real handy for noodling, working out parts, playing in bed, while you're driving etc. :sephi:

I always wanted one of those kids guitars for bending notes up by a 5th :lol:

BigM555

I SS.org Salute You!
Contributor
Reaction score
:funny:

I don't see an output jack! :ugh:

Or is this what they mean by an input jack? :idea:

Kakaka

I am with Jesus!
Reaction score
If she want so buy some 7 string ibby for her. I mean that anyway if she has a little fingers etc she will specialize for it. You are older than me and I respect you, so don't think that I want to offend you or so. But WE ALL ARE HUMANS, WE ARE THE MOST STRONG AND MOST SMART RACE ON EARTH COZ WE KNOW HOW TO SPECIALIZE FOR ANYTHING HERE. So I think even with 7321 she will fell good after 1-2 mounth of practice. But I strongly recomemded start from acoustick coz if she will became guitar player in future she will need the some skils that he can get from acoustick. WE ALL WAS START FROM BASIC.

Good luck in your choice.

I kinda agree with Vova. I first played on a full-scale, steel string, too hard and heavy acoustic, I eventually bent the beast and playing any decent guitar, specially electrics is a piece of cake for me(as far as pressing the strings is concerned hehe ;D).

I guess, unless money is a problem, that you could get her cheap 7, like the RG7321/7320. Sounds great, plays easy, with a very light and fast neck.

The cool thing about practicing on an uncoomfortable instrument is the strength your fingers develop.

Thats an understatement :ugh:

Have you dug it?:lol:
Dude! That dude with the bush mullet holding the doll from behind is far too creepy.:spock:

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
aren't you guys glad I found that pic? :lol:

')