First Guitar for my Daughter

El Caco

Djavli te ponesli
Contributor
Reaction score
I have decided it's about time I get a guitar for my daughter to learn on but I need some help.

1.What scale size should I get her? She is 10 years old and 127 cm or 4'2"

I have already established that a full size guitar is way too big for her. I have read this guide http://reviews.ebay.com/How-to-Choo...0000907264?ssPageName=BUYGD:CAT:-1:LISTINGS:4 and according to this 20.5" should be what I am looking for. Would you agree with this or do you think it is too small would 22" to 23" be better.

2.What guitar would you recommend? She does not like any of the short scale Daisy Rock guitars (thank goodness), I have found the following

ESP KH-Junior Scale 20.5"

Ibanez Mikro Scale 22.2"

Dean Evo J Scale 22.7"

Do you know of any others?

3.Can anyone offer advice on who will ship one of these to Australia, I can't find them on eBay and I can't find a shop that sells them international.

Thanks in advance,
Steve.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
i'm not too sure about the correct scale and what not, but there was one of these at my local shop last time i went in

Squier Mini Player - Black

and it was kinda cool. ofcourse, the built in distortion sounded really bad, but it was pretty cool.

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
2.What guitar would you recommend?

guitar_V7_000.jpg

Metal her up right from the start. :dio:

El Caco

Djavli te ponesli
Contributor
Reaction score
@mnemonic

Thanks for the response, I think it looks a bit like a toy compared to the others and their price is reasonable, no offence intended.

I want to make sure that what I get her the right guitar to learn on (she wants to learn on the R 2027 but it's just too big) and I have no idea how to buy her one as I have not been able to find a place that will sell to Australia.

She likes the ESP but she has not seen the other two yet and I forgot to mention that she does not want to learn on an acoustic.

Anyone else.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
I'd pass on the Dean, just as someone who used to sell cheap deans.

El Caco

Djavli te ponesli
Contributor
Reaction score
guitar_V7_000.jpg

Metal her up right from the start. :dio:

:lol:

She'd love that,

She really wants to learn on the RG7 extreme or the 2027 but they are just too big, the body almost comes to her chin and her elbow is locked to reach the first fret, I feel uncomfortable just looking at her trying to hold and balance the thing.

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
She really wants to learn on the RG7 extreme or the 2027 but they are just too big, the body almost comes to her chin and her elbow is locked to reach the first fret, I feel uncomfortable just looking at her trying to hold and balance the thing.

hohner.jpg

steinberger_white_1.jpg

The first is a the surprisingly good officially licensed copy. The second is the spirit, which is also an excellent guitar for a guy on a budget.

If she can hang with the standard scale length, this solves the problem of the larger body being in the way. :yesway:

El Caco

Djavli te ponesli
Contributor
Reaction score
I know that 25.5" is too big for her, that is why I'm asking if anyone knows what would be the right scale for her based on her height.

El Caco

Djavli te ponesli
Contributor
Reaction score
I just gave her a look at all the guitars in this thread and she likes the ESP KH-junior and the Ibanez Mikro, I guess the deciding factor will be what scale is best for her, the 20.5 or the 22.2.

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Very cool that you're buying her a guitar! :wub:

I like those Ibanez Mikro guitars. I actually tried one too. :D

The KH Junior is slick too. :hbang:

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Maybe a Yamaha Pacifica... I can't remember the scale length, but those have nice necks for people with small hands.

How many guitars has she actually tried so far?

El Caco

Djavli te ponesli
Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses guys.

It looks like I'll be getting her the Ibanez Mikro, Annie seemed to prefer the Black Mikro the best of all the guitars I showed her. The Ashton Joeyelectric starter pack was actually her favourite but she gave the impression that it was only because of all the extras that came with it.

The Mikro is on the Ibanez Australia site so it should be available in Australia but the dealer I called last night said that they were not available and then tried to sell me the Ashton pack.

I will call the Ibanez importer this morning to double check. I have also found them on eBay, the shipping is expensive but at least I have that option if all else fails.

@JJ. Not so smart arse really. I have read a lot of recommendations for starting a child on a Ukulele but I don't think it is the right choice for her.

@ distressed romeo. The Pacifica is 25.5". Anastasia has only tried my 7's so far, it's hard because we live so far from a music shop, I was going to wait until we could go to one to try some on her but it is taking to long and she is really keen.

If I get her this and she wants something bigger when we go to the music store it wont bother me, she has two younger brothers that will love to take this one off her hands. That was one of positives for the KH-Junior, Seth-li could have started learning on it as well. I will see how keen he is and if he can follow instruction, he just might get one for Christmas.

El Caco

Djavli te ponesli
Contributor
Reaction score
just get a capo
slam it on the 12 frett
there you go instant micro scale

The full size body is also a problem for her but damn that's a good idea. In hindsight I should have looked for a 7 string with a smaller body and used a capo (she really wanted a 7 string).

I have already purchased a black Ibanez Mikro for her, with luck it might be here by the end of the week.

I might still investigate the 7 string with capo option after I see how dedicated she is.

I would go for the Ibanez too, as many already wrote here. And you must confess: you'd like to try one, eh? :)

I'll admit that I'm curious but I'm not interested in playing 6 string and I have had some experience with a 19" scale before, short scale and my fat fingers don't work well together.

')