First guitar purchase advice

• Thread starter freddrik
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Loomer

Comfortably Dumb
Reaction score
If we're talking first guitar, I would ALWAYS go for a fixed bridge, no matter what.

I've had the Ibanez RGA32 myself, and I really liked that one. Pickups were pretty good too, and it's dirt cheap with a great bridge.
If you can dig up a Godin Detour or Redline, that would be great too.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Lethe

Reaction score
Needs moar strings.

Seriously, if you're on a sevenstring forum already you probably are interested in extended range guitars. There is absolutely no reason to start with a 6 if you want to move up anyway, it's not harder to start on a 7.

I started on a 7 myself, never regretted it.

If a 6 is what you want, maybe you should order both and return the one you like less. Thomann has a 30-day, no-questions-asked return policy as long as packaging is intact and product is not damaged. When you have both guitars at home, invite a friend who plays and ask which one feels better to him. Don't base your decision on his opinion only, but in the beginning it will be hard to judge the playability of a guitar.

x3030150hates

Reaction score
"x3030150hates - When you say floyd, do you mean a licensed?"

Basically, I mean any Floyd Rose style tremolo. I've never had an Original Floyd Rose, but I've had two licensed floyds, and they were both great. Though, stringing floyds kind of suck.

Mr. Big Noodles

Theory God
Reaction score
Basically, I mean any Floyd Rose style tremolo. I've never had an Original Floyd Rose, but I've had two licensed floyds, and they were both great. Though, stringing floyds kind of suck.

I think it's easier, especially if you do it like this:

LoomisHeadstock.jpg

Notice the ball ends are at the tuners. This way, I don't have to wind the strings around the tuner, and they're held in place while I put the other end in the bridge. As you can see, I don't have the B string that way, because the windings near the ball end on the low B are too thick to pass through the tuner, but it still isn't that difficult to put on. Why people think that Floyds are a hassle to work with, I don't know, maybe I was just never exposed to the hard way. Personally, I find TOM's harder to work with, because the string always goes off the bridge saddle when I'm putting new strings on, and the ball ends can travel until you get some tension on the strings.

SchecterWhore - I think I'll have enough problem with six strings. A seven string would be pretty cool though, hmm... :)

Hey, it's not any more difficult than learning on a six string. If anything, you won't be restricted to the six string ideas that are the standard for people just getting into guitar. Getting a seven really improved my ability to understand the fretboard. Also, people will think you're a badass.

')