First Mix ever in Reaper. Critique Please.

• Thread starter palebluedot
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
For my first post I'd like to dive right in to the meat. :) First mix I've done (thats not just for song writing purposes) I'm still in the process of learning and only have a general understanding of compression/eqing etc. Any input totally welcomed, I am very much trying to learn as much as I can. What better way than on all of your great speakers :)

https://soundcloud.com/vernonfriday/sturmgeweher-holle-sturm-m

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

osmosis2259

Reaction score
Not bad for a first mix!
I'd def crank up those drums more though especially the snare and bass drum! Guitars seem to be overpowering a little :)

Reaction score
thanks guys!

I just learned about 'new york compression' or whatever on the drums. blending a compressed master drum track with a non master drum track to beef up the drums. how do you go about 'beefing' up drums yourself?

22km Tombstone

Pro Apologizer
Reaction score
Yeah man it's pretty solid overall! Definitely agree about the snare drum. Kick could be turned up a hair, too, but mostly just needs a bit more compression, I think.

And yeah, the New York style/parallel compression on the drum bus is great. I use that all the time.

Reaction score
if i turn the snare and the kick up they're very seperate from eathother, but i cant seem to isolate them in the mix. compared to when you can hear the drums full on and loud and the guitars seem completely seperate in these newage superhighproduction songs. gotta play with this eq i guess and scoop out the guitars at a magical spot to let the snare breathe.

')