First mix I'm submitting (UX2, TMF, poop)

• Thread starter tranqx
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

tranqx

Reaction score
So I've been attemping recording for a little over a year now... haven't been very successful as I've gotten discouraged very easily just trying to make a decent drum mix. Anyway, here's my first *serious* attempt, gimme some pointers. I didn't do a whole lot of processing on the guitars/bass (as its likely very evident haha) so they sound very... PODish haha

This is just the last segment of a song I wrote about two years ago, maybe I'll finish it with the other 3 minutes that comes before it.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11329081/worthlessrecent.mp3

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Lucas_061287

Reaction score
Sounds really good man.

What drum program are you using? SD2.0?

And I see you're in TX! Woot!

tranqx

Reaction score
Yeah its S2.0 with the Metal Foundry sdx. Haha yeah I'm in TX, little city just outside of San Antonio.

Thanks for the kind words!

Lucas_061287

Reaction score
Awesome. Drums sounded killer, BTW. Can't wait to get all my gear together and start recording some stuff, though I'll have to spend ALOT of time with S2.0. Cibolo must be south of SA, right? I've been through all towns north of San Antonio on 281 and that don't ring a bell.

MakewayforMan

The Light Eternal
Reaction score
So I've been attemping recording for a little over a year now... haven't been very successful as I've gotten discouraged very easily just trying to make a decent drum mix. Anyway, here's my first *serious* attempt, gimme some pointers. I didn't do a whole lot of processing on the guitars/bass (as its likely very evident haha) so they sound very... PODish haha

This is just the last segment of a song I wrote about two years ago, maybe I'll finish it with the other 3 minutes that comes before it.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11329081/worthlessrecent.mp3

Hey man if this is your first "serious" attempt you've def got a bright future ahead of u! You're song sounds rad. What are you doing with your guitars? Like how are you recording them from your POD? Are you doubling them up, doing any panning for the rhythm parts? The drums sound good, I think the overall mix has a little but too much verb but I guess thats subjective. And I think you could probably get a guitar tone that compliments the way you're playing a little better, but again, that comes down to your taste and what you were going for. Overall I think a very solid recording, especially if it was your first. Hats off!:yesway:

Dragonfly

Reaction score
Drums sound a bit loud, and guitars not that much spread.
Do you have the guitars centered? Try panning them left-right at 60-80 or 100%
Also dubbing the guitars to left-right again would make them sound a bit more spread and powerful.
The reverb on the drums sound cool in the beginning, but having it while the guitars are playing bothers me, the snare isn't really 'hitting' because of that, it constant snare.
But that might be really subjective.

For the rest: I like it, the writing, the playing and the recording. It all sounds really tight!
You mentioned the guitar sound being PODish, but I actually kind of like it! (Though like mentioned, it's really concentrated.)

Good luck and keep us posted!

tranqx

Reaction score
I agree I went a wee bit overboard with the verb on the whole drum kit haha. Just opened up my project in Cubase to make sure I had panned the guitars and they're both panned 100% left/right :scratch: Should I try something like a stereo expander send-channel? Not going to lie I don't know a whole lot about automation or changing anything mid-song, maybe I need to just dedicate one day to watching some tutorial videos one day haha. Thanks for the help though guys, I have to work today but I'll definitely be working on stuff when I get off :metal:

tranqx

Reaction score
Sorry to bump, but any ideas anyone? I had to work all yesterday (same for today :( ) so I haven't gotten a chance to mess with anything yet, but I'll try to tonight after work or tomorrow after class.

')