First Mixtest - Rose Of Sharyn

Chi

Niverlare
Reaction score
Yo! I'm just gonna' drop my first little mini-mixtest here, featuring KSE's Rose Of Sharyn which is extremely fun to play.

https://soundcloud.com/yiyachi/killswitch-engage-rose-of

This is the first mix I've actually put more than 10 minutes worth of effort into. I honestly think that it's quite alright for my very first mix, but of course I wouldn't post it here without wanting any feedback. ;)

Guitar's a Fender JR Telecaster with an EMG 81 in the back, one panned to the left and one to the right, as simple as it gets. Very basic EQ on the guitars, too. These were recorded around 2 AM by the way, so excuse me for the sloppiness, how could I dare! The bass is basically just a .wav export from Guitar Pro 6 with RSE.

This was actually supposed to be some sort of testrun before the actual mixtest, but I thought it's okay so I just dropped it anyway.

Right then, drop a post or two and have a good one, cheers!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

oryphic

Untitled
Reaction score
the snare is really small sounding. you can input rose of sharyn into your DAW and mix to it so you know how close your tone is to theirs. also, layer some takes together on pick slides like that. try a bunch of takes focusing on nailing the slide but not worrying if the first note comes out of the first riff clean, and then vise versa. after you can blend your takes together keeping only the best parts of each and then merge them together which ultimately makes a perfect take if you take the time and do it well.

Chi

Niverlare
Reaction score
the snare is really small sounding. you can input rose of sharyn into your DAW and mix to it so you know how close your tone is to theirs. also, layer some takes together on pick slides like that. try a bunch of takes focusing on nailing the slide but not worrying if the first note comes out of the first riff clean, and then vise versa. after you can blend your takes together keeping only the best parts of each and then merge them together which ultimately makes a perfect take if you take the time and do it well.

Thanks so far! I know that the timing's been off in that pickslide, nasty. But it's supposed to be a testrun and I didn't really care much about the actual playing. I tried to get it sounding good, but of course I wasn't aiming for perfection around 2 AM. I'm also aware that the drums in general don't really cut in too well, but I was simply too lazy to get back to the drums after recording the other takes. ;)

')