First recording in new studio :-) axefx2 toontrack B7K laney

• Thread starter hellraizer84
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Santuzzo

Reaction score
Sounds great! :yesway:
Very tight riffing and nice guitar tones.

only criticism I have would be: the kick is very clicky, but that's a matter of taste.

hellraizer84

Reaction score
Sounds great! :yesway:
Very tight riffing and nice guitar tones.

only criticism I have would be: the kick is very clicky, but that's a matter of taste.

thanks man,no thats a valid point you have there,actually the kick is layered so its both bassy and clicky but thats our drummer's preference

glad you like the playing and recording :) thanks for the feedback :hbang:

Raayl

Reaction score
those pedal riffs at 1:00 oh man, super sexy.

great riffs and great tone and great layered leads

drum mix is very similar to what i prefer in metal.

hellraizer84

Reaction score
those pedal riffs at 1:00 oh man, super sexy.

great riffs and great tone and great layered leads

drum mix is very similar to what i prefer in metal.

cheers man haha yeah drums are a funny one for metal,i like big snares and loud bass drums haha

glad you like my riffing.cheers

hellraizer84

Reaction score
Sounds great man. How did you approach the drums, if you don't mind my asking.

no problem man,well the drums were sequenced by our drummer,we used to do it the long way around but really its pointless IMO as for the sounds they are a combination of toontrack kits,mostly metal machine,some drum kit from hell and the avatar kit

all drums were eq separately and the snare drum and bass drum were taken out of superior drummer where eq and parallel compression was applied

a bit of a painful frocess but once you have a template saved its easy

tesseract and periphery have done very similar process to this in the past

hope that helps :)

edit- id like to add that we have the facility for him to play all this and drummagog the whole thing but the result would be exactly the same and take way more time

TheDepthsWillRise

Reaction score
no problem man,well the drums were sequenced by our drummer,we used to do it the long way around but really its pointless IMO as for the sounds they are a combination of toontrack kits,mostly metal machine,some drum kit from hell and the avatar kit

all drums were eq separately and the snare drum and bass drum were taken out of superior drummer where eq and parallel compression was applied

a bit of a painful frocess but once you have a template saved its easy

tesseract and periphery have done very similar process to this in the past

hope that helps :)

edit- id like to add that we have the facility for him to play all this and drummagog the whole thing but the result would be exactly the same and take way more time

Man, I need to get my drummer to learn how to program his parts lol. Talk about making my life easier. I've been using a combo of BFD2, Trigger, and live performances, but just haven't found a comfortable workflow. At the moment, I'm trying to get comfortable with the Hyper Editor in Logic and contemplating buying a midi controller to have something a little more tactile that clicking a mouse. Thanks for the tips man!

hellraizer84

Reaction score
Man, I need to get my drummer to learn how to program his parts lol. Talk about making my life easier. I've been using a combo of BFD2, Trigger, and live performances, but just haven't found a comfortable workflow. At the moment, I'm trying to get comfortable with the Hyper Editor in Logic and contemplating buying a midi controller to have something a little more tactile that clicking a mouse. Thanks for the tips man!

no worries anytime feel free to ask

before superior drummer came about we used to use battery but man we eq the shit out of it to get a sound

all the velocitys ect you hear have been done manually but superior has fantastic "humanize" settings that randomly automate the samples giving you a more real sound

thats what sets apart all these drum machines for me-the ability to make them not sound like a machine.personally im shit at sequencing haha

hellraizer84

Reaction score

if you wanna go live with the drums is say get drumagog,play in your sounds then "replace" them all with superior drummer sounds inside drumagog.its the way!

MrCthulhu

Reaction score
Great tone, awesome playing. Very groovy feel, which i really dig. The drums sound brutal with the precision riffing, they fit well together. Are you guys getting vocals on there next?

hellraizer84

Reaction score
Great tone, awesome playing. Very groovy feel, which i really dig. The drums sound brutal with the precision riffing, they fit well together. Are you guys getting vocals on there next?

wow thanks man,yeah were gonna get vocals on soon hopefully,if ya wanna do some ya self feel free haha

yeah i like the groovy stuff also,thanks for the feedback and compliments on my shit playing!

Najka

Reaction score
Love the mix, you did a pretty good job giving everything it's own spot. I can hear a funny Mid frequency somewhere, I think it's coming from the bass. But it's really good! awesome job.

df88

Reaction score
all the velocitys ect you hear have been done manually but superior has fantastic "humanize" settings that randomly automate the samples giving you a more real sound

Lol. People probably hear manually and ask "are you fucking nuts".

I do the same shit though, particularly for fills and such. The humanize on superior doesn't quite cut it for that. Good shit brother. Guitar tone sounds similar to periphery. What did you use in the Axe 2 patch?

jsaudio

Reaction score
Hey dude thanks for looking at my tone post earlier, i gave this mix a good listen and i think the guitar tone specifically is pretty solid for what your aiming for. My biggest issue is with the overall drum sound, its not like its "Bad" i just think drums like these sound too programmed and fake. The kick and snare sound "semi-amatuerish" it reminds me of a little less polished version of the mixes for the band Volumes. Personally i think their mixes are not very good especially regarding the drums but obviously this is just personal opinion. i think if you aren't going to change the drum sound, level them out a little better, i think take the snare down a bit, and you are def gonna have to get the kick EQ figured out, i think if THAT was fixed it would make the biggest difference overall

For the kick it def needs to have to have more thickness in the 180hz region and less of that plastic click sound, but i think this primarily coming from the sample itself so see if you can get a different sample. But as everyone else said really grooving riffing

axxessdenied

Arium Addict
Reaction score
Killer, groovy riffage!

I have to say though. Not feeling the drum sound. I think the big thing is the kick, way too clicky and plastic sounding. There's something weird happening with the bass too. Might need to cut a little bit of mids out from the bass.

jesman

ss.org Unusual
Reaction score
First, thanks a lot for the feedback you gave me on my thread! :)

Overally the mix sounds very tight, love the guitar sounds and also the whole song. Nice songwriting!
Just like the others posts, I'm of the opinion that the drums are too clicky. Also, the bass is not "bassy" enough for my tastes. Like that it doesn't sound as solid as a bass should be. Could be the midrange everyone's talking about.
But all in all a good mix! Good work right there! :)

hellraizer84

Reaction score
Love the mix, you did a pretty good job giving everything it's own spot. I can hear a funny Mid frequency somewhere, I think it's coming from the bass. But it's really good! awesome job.

cheers man,thanks for that,ill check out that mid frequency

Lol. People probably hear manually and ask "are you fucking nuts".

I do the same shit though, particularly for fills and such. The humanize on superior doesn't quite cut it for that. Good shit brother. Guitar tone sounds similar to periphery. What did you use in the Axe 2 patch?

cool glad you liked it man,yeah automate all the way brother!the patch was a massive fuck on to make haha but the bare bones of it are tubescreamer,fas modern,german cab,gate and took the high end fizz out with eq,its worth noting the power amp was actually switched off for this

This is fucking sick :D drums tone is insane, love that kick sound. and the mix has so much clarity!

cheers man!

Hey dude thanks for looking at my tone post earlier, i gave this mix a good listen and i think the guitar tone specifically is pretty solid for what your aiming for. My biggest issue is with the overall drum sound, its not like its "Bad" i just think drums like these sound too programmed and fake. The kick and snare sound "semi-amatuerish" it reminds me of a little less polished version of the mixes for the band Volumes. Personally i think their mixes are not very good especially regarding the drums but obviously this is just personal opinion. i think if you aren't going to change the drum sound, level them out a little better, i think take the snare down a bit, and you are def gonna have to get the kick EQ figured out, i think if THAT was fixed it would make the biggest difference overall

For the kick it def needs to have to have more thickness in the 180hz region and less of that plastic click sound, but i think this primarily coming from the sample itself so see if you can get a different sample. But as everyone else said really grooving riffing

thanks man,ill take that all on board but i will say this...look at how contrasting the post above is about the drum sound...gonna stick with what i like i think for that reason but i agree about the click being to loud and yeah ill check out the levels but i definatly like loud snares!haha cheer man thanks for the comments

Killer, groovy riffage!

I have to say though. Not feeling the drum sound. I think the big thing is the kick, way too clicky and plastic sounding. There's something weird happening with the bass too. Might need to cut a little bit of mids out from the bass.

i cant really cut any more mids out the bass without losing nore definition,ideally id like a more scooped bass tone but the low notes just become less defined and floppy.bit of a compromise really,but yeah gonna check that kick out,i did feel it was to clicky but the band do like that.thanks for the feedback man.appreciate it.

First, thanks a lot for the feedback you gave me on my thread! :)

Overally the mix sounds very tight, love the guitar sounds and also the whole song. Nice songwriting!
Just like the others posts, I'm of the opinion that the drums are too clicky. Also, the bass is not "bassy" enough for my tastes. Like that it doesn't sound as solid as a bass should be. Could be the midrange everyone's talking about.
But all in all a good mix! Good work right there! :)

cheers mate!as i said above im gonna revisit the click on the bass drum,i think the bass is bassy enough but you could be right,i just think as it gets louder it cluters the space in the mix of which there is not much haha.cheers

Ratel

Sgt Camper
Reaction score
sounds good mate! only thing i noticed is that the snare and kick has too much low mud which makes it sound 2d. love the guitar and bass tone, levels are nicely set :)

')