First seven-string.. Is this normal?

• Thread starter KillingStrings
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It's definitely ok to play without the strap sitting but long term you're going to have to figure something out anyway! I have a feeling it's just being stubborn and you can get it shorter unless it's already as short as it goes.

And bad habits just have a way of sneaking up and it usually isn't noticeable until one is spending a more significant time and all the contortion and tension takes it's toll. In college I picked up a TERRIBLE habit of playing with my left (fretting hand) elbow resting against the side of my torso, and as soon as I started playing for a bigger amount of time I noticed all the problems I was having and had to break that habit.

Stuff like that "terrible" habit you had during college, is that something that could give carpal/cubital tunnel syndrome or tendinitis?
Because I seriously have a fear of getting that, haha.

Any tips for better/safer practicing?
I used to just play for hours, but I started stretching my fingers, massaging them, my wrist etc. every 40-45 minutes of practicing, don't know if that's necessary

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Overtone

Reaction score
I think you can potentially get those injuries like that, but it's not difficult to avoid. Just remember to be loose, relaxed, and with good posture, not crooked or hunched. This applies from your hands to your feet to your neck, since any contortion can result in increased tension somewhere in your arms. As you mentioned, taking a quick break every hour or so is a great thing to do and even better with some light stretches. Other than that, it's better if you don't start the day without warming up a bit first unless you find you can play the advanced stuff relaxed as soon as you pick up your guitar.

Reaction score
Thanks a lot, I feel a lot more relaxed.
I love my guitars and I love playing, but I can't help it, I'm always thinking of those injuries because I heard you would never be as good a guitarist again after the injury.. I use my computer quite a bit too, have used it a lot more. I'm usually sitting on my bed with it (laptop)which, now that I think of it, is quite bad for your hands/wrists/forearm? Or doesn't that matter?

Edit: Experienced a few minutes of pain in my left (fretting) forearm today, it was on the "upper side" of my forearm, if you know what I mean. But it went away quickly. (I wasn't playing guitar, I was just relaxing btw).
Decided to pick up the guitar for an hour or 2 before going to bed. After I'd say 10 minutes of warming up, the pain came back and it was a bit worse than earlier today. Stopped playing and a moment after having put down my guitar, the pain stopped.
Was only in my forearm. Should I let it relax for a day or two, or is it just because I haven't played for that long and my muscles aren't that strong?

')