First Seven..

• Thread starter Ahole
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ahole

Reaction score
So, I'm going to buy my first sevenstring soon, but I'm having a hard time deciding what to buy.
Do you have any suggestions, on what would be a good first sevenstring?
I have around $2100 to spend..
I'm thinking about a UV777BK, but I'm not so sure about the basswood(never played a highend basswood guitar)..

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
Man, 2100$ should be enough to get anything you want, short of a custom guitar... The UV777PBK is pretty cool, though i strongly prefer the older UV's. You could get the RG7CT as well, if you can find one. (eric's guitars)...
If you want, there's also the Ernie Ball Music Man, a slew of schecters and most everything on DrumCityGuitarLand.com

Ryan

Reaction score
I wouldnt spend all that money just because you can. If i was you, I'd buy a 1527 and put some extra cash in modding it. EMGS or Dimarzios, cliplock strap, bobbins (if you like that), tremol-no, a nice setup (if you cant yourself), blah blah, you'll probably spend around/over a $1000 in the end and have a very sweet 7. Or if you must blow all your crowns, go to Ikebe and try to get a J Custom 7!

metalfiend666

-
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Have you ever played a 7 string before? It might be worth getting something like an RG7620 first to see if you actually like playing a 7. They're a great guitar and the best bit is you can sell them on for what you paid for them, so if 7's are for you you can then get a more expensive guitar.

Ahole

Reaction score
I live in Sweden, $2100 can NOT give me anything i want, yes I've played a seven before, but it was a long time ago, so I'm going to go try one out before i buy one.
metalfiend666 mentioned a RG 1527...around $1000 after all the mods?...
Try $1600 before the mods.

metalfiend666

-
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Actually Ryan mentioned the RG1527, I suggested the RG7620. That's got Dimarzio's as stock and has the Lo-Pro Edge which a lot of people believe is superior to the Edge Pro on the RG1527. I've never played an RG1527 so I can't comment. One big thing that the RG7620 wins on is the locking trem studs. These make a big difference to tuning stability when using the trem.

The Universes are great guitars, I own one of the old UV7PWH's. The pickup configuration gives you a lot of tonal options. Again, older UV777PBK's (up to around 2000) have the Lo-Pro Edge and the locking studs whereas the newer one's have the Edge Pro and non-locking studs. I'd suggest reading what Rich Harris at Ibanez Rules has to say about locking studs here and then if you do go for a guitar with an Edge Pro I'd highly suggest fitting that mod.

Alpo

Contributor
Reaction score
I don't see how it could be that much more expensive in Sweden than in Finland. I'm getting an RG1527 for 850€, which is around 1050$. Add new pickups and a Tremol-No and it would cost about 1100€ which would be a little less than 1400$. I don't know how much the VAT is in Sweden but here it's 22%, which is just insane.

Ahole

Reaction score
I think the VAT here in Sweden is 25%, I don't really know why instruments are that expensive here in Sweden, a RG1527 costs 11795SEK=1254,39€=$1571,20.

Alpo

Contributor
Reaction score
Wow, that's crazy. Are you sure it's the retail price and not just the list price?

Ancestor

Contributor
Reaction score
Hellraiser, as I can see that you're into metal.

metalfiend666

-
Forum MVP
Reaction score
^Actually that's not a bad suggestion. It's probably one of the best out there still short of finding one that's been shrinkwrapped and stored since new. From what I remember him offering it to me for around the time I bought mine (I was bidding for mine and he offered me his if I lost out) you should be able to buy it and ship if to you for your budget. They're phenominal players too, that's why so many of us here own old UV's.

Ahole said:
Sorry about that, my mistake.

No problems. :yesway:

Ahole

Reaction score
metalfiend666 said:
^Actually that's not a bad suggestion. It's probably one of the best out there still short of finding one that's been shrinkwrapped and stored since new. From what I remember him offering it to me for around the time I bought mine (I was bidding for mine and he offered me his if I lost out) you should be able to buy it and ship if to you for your budget. They're phenominal players too, that's why so many of us here own old UV's.

I'm guessing he's from the US?
The problem with buying a guitar from the us for me, is that i most likely would have to pay for VAT and taxes, which is around 30% of the guitars value, so it gets really expensive to buy from the us.

metalfiend666

-
Forum MVP
Reaction score
He is. It's something you have to take into consideration, but usually it's cheaper to buy stuff from the US for us Europeans. You just need to check shipping costs and import duties first.

Alpo

Contributor
Reaction score
Thomann RG1527
8894.15 SEK.
Seems like you would get a better price from Thomann. Thomann is very reliable. A friend of mine bought a galaxy black 1527 from them recently and I bought my amp from them. Absolutely no problems. Of course you can go ask your local shops for a deal. I got mine for 100€ less from a local shop than from Thomann.

Ahole

Reaction score
Alpo said:
Thomann RG1527
8894.15 SEK.
Seems like you would get a better price from Thomann. Thomann is very reliable. A friend of mine bought a galaxy black 1527 from them recently and I bought my amp from them. Absolutely no problems. Of course you can go ask your local shops for a deal. I got mine for 100€ less from a local shop than from Thomann.
Yeah, i've been checking out guitars on Thomann and Musik Produktiv, Musik Produktiv is cheaper than Thomann i think.

')