First Time recording live drums! help needed :)

• Thread starter feeleuphoria
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

greglecompte

Reaction score
the cymbals sound very thin to me on the second version on the first version it sounded like you had a compressor on the overheads that was clamping down hard when the snare was hit causing the cymbals to sound weird

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Yeah, something's up with the compressor and the snare. It sounds like it's getting smashed to me, and taking the whole bus with it (or at a bare minimum the overheads). Kick and toms are a little low, too, and the crashes are a little high - what do you have in terms of mics/tracks to work with? If there's anyway you can drop the OH track without lowering the high hats and toms, and then bring up the kick, IMO you'd be in better shape - I think the kick in particular is going to get lost as soon as you add bass and guitar. The snare sounds a little thin, too, but that may just be the compression totally flattening it.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Will listen tonight, if I get the chance - what did you adjust? IMO, that didn't sound like a gate on the snare causing the problem, as it sounded like whenever the snare hit it was pulling down the OHs.

Also, what'd you mic up, meaning what do you have separate tracks of? Some sort of L/R OH I assume, and I'm guessing you also have separate kick and snare mics - do you also have tom(s) and hi hat mics? How's isolation - any notable bleed issues? This mix sounded like it was mostly overhead and snare, with a lot of compression on the master, to my ears.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Listened last night but on earbuds rather than a proper system. Better, but the cymbals still sound weird (though they're no longer audibly pumping on snare hits at least) and I'd be worried the kick isn't loud enough.

What do you have for tracks to work with?

Latest posts

')