Fixed non-TOM bridges... Hipshot versus Gotoh versus ??

• Thread starter thinkpad20
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

thinkpad20

plays guitar??
Reaction score
Advantages/disadvantages of each? I'm currently planning a custom build; I know I want it to be a fixed strat-style bridge and I'm trying to decide which one. I've heard it said a lot that Hipshots are some of the best fixed bridges out there, but I don't really know why... A lot of high-end makers use Hipshot (Hufschmid), a lot use Gotoh (Blackmachine) and some use others (ABM, ETS, etc).

So, what makes one bridge better than the other; or if is there no real "better" or "worse" then what would make one builder prefer one and another prefer a different one?

This is for a 7 string BTW, so that fancy-dancy new Schaller bridge is out ;)

Thanks d00dz

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
well, different brands and models have different features, have different designs, and are made from different metals.

i like the Hipshot bridges (have one on my 8), as they have good intonation range, are comfortable, look really badass and nice (cool saddles, even!), and they are made from all steel which is great. it´s high density stuff, so it´ll transfer sustain to the body very well. it´ll also last.

i would look at those kinds of criteria. there may be small flaws with different designs that you don´t realize until you have to adjust it some day. hipshot 8 string bridges, for example, need longer screws for the higher string saddles, because the stock ones may not be long enough to allow them to intonate properly. the alternative is moving the bridge a bit towards the neck, but then you suddenly need shorter saddles for the lower strings, or at least the f#, because it doesn´t go far enough back.

other bridges have tiny little weird flaws like these that i wouldn´t know about. and for what it´s worth, i never ever had any intonation issues with my hipshot 8 string bridge. probably because i have a long scale length, though.

thinkpad20

plays guitar??
Reaction score
By the way, where the hell do you buy these? The only place I've found that sells 7 string hipshots is hipshot themselves. And I can't find anything for Gotoh. wtf?

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
i have no idea, never really had to buy a bridge before. allparts, stewmac, something like that?

if you can buy from the supplier, then that´s ok, i guess. i know luthiers around here (at least hufschmid) buys directly form hipshot. they´ll help you out with customized orders too, likea set of 7 or 8 tuners etc.

JMP2203

Reaction score
where you can get that Gotoh 7-string that Blackmachine uses?

hufschmid

Banned
Reaction score
32254ae9de0ec8722.gif

')