"Flabby" low B... help!

• Thread starter TemjinStrife
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

CGord

Reaction score
"Flabby" makes me think string gauge. I use a 10-46 6 string set & add a .064 7th (Ernie Ball).

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JBroll

Hard-On For Freedom™
Contributor
Reaction score
Bullshit. I use a clean boost to tighten things up. It sends a hotter signal into the preamp, forcing more clipping/gain. Low gain is generally "looser" in feel to a real tight, hot signal. Re - Active pickups.

I'm saying that wouldn't work as well here because of this:

...I can't get any definition from the bottom string with anything approaching a metal amount of drive/distortion. ...

Normally I'd agree with you, but I'm assuming he already tried going with more gain, so I counted that one out from the start. That's all.

Jeff

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
Gotcha.

But I find cranking preamp gain is NOT the same, tone-wise, as spanking the shit out of the input with a hot-ass signal. Boosted pickup out just sounds louder, punchier, and more "in your face," which can be a key component in tightening up a good metal sound.

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
From "flabby," I would say that the problem is that your string gauge isn't heavy enough. But I use the D'Addario 10-59 gauge set and my low B isn't flabby at all and has a very very clear and clean sound. So, I'm thinking your problem is pickups (I use EMG707s in my one guitar and a DiMarzio Blaze Custom in my other guitar).

I think the best pickup advice you've gotten so far is the DiMarzio Evolution 7 pickup. I believe that should help you out. Thicker gauge strings and a tube screamer should help, but I think your pickups are the main problem.

Jason

Forum MVP
Reaction score
First change the pickups THEN if you still feel you have the same issues then try a heavier string.. Remember Dino use(d) a .50 tuned to A ;)

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm with Zimbloth all the way on this one.

I use a .068 at A, and it's nice. But thicker strings generally do NOT yield a less "muddy" tone. If anything, just the opposite.

1. New bridge pickup. Think Dimarzio. Way tighter, generally.
2. Try some Elixir strings. Holy fuck! Bright and super clear,
3. Get a Tube Screamer.

Bingo, bango, bongo. You in bidness. I've dealt with this shit for years, man. I'm telling ya, it works.

TemjinStrife

Power Metal Cellist
Reaction score
I've certainly tried it with all levels of gain through several real amps and virtual amp models through my POD (which has plenty of gain machines built in...) and it's either no definition or no low-end 'slam' on low notes.

I suppose my only reservations with changing the pickups at this point are questions of versatility, as the guitar sounds awesome at lower gain settings.

I don't just play metal, and I want a very versatile seven-string. Will the Evolution give me a decent amount of moderate-drive rockabilly crunch (think Reverend Horton Heat)?

Which of these pickups would be most recommended for an all-round pickup upgrade with decent "snarl"? Basically, I love my 6-string JB, but the 7-string version has been declared to be not so good of an idea. Which of these would be most comparable yet still yield a defined, solid, and snappy low-end?

1) PAF-7
2) D-Sonic 7
3) Evolution 7

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
I use a D Sonic 7, and it has terrific attack on the low end. So much so, that I even swapped the ceramic magnet for a "warmer" alnico (Alnico 8, to be precise), and that sumbitch still has great snap, and quick bass attack. And I also play all kinds of music.

I know exactly what you're talking a about with the bass and that JB. Exactly. It's like there's no "snap" to the string when you hit it, no attack... just a kind of round, swelling bass.

The EVO7 also would work well in this capacity.

TemjinStrife

Power Metal Cellist
Reaction score
Cool, thanks!

So, upping the .59 low B to a .72 string definitely helped matters some until I can get the pickup question sorted out.

TemjinStrife

Power Metal Cellist
Reaction score
Not yet... haven't had time to run out to a local store to look for one thanks to work and online classes. The PODxt built-in Tube Screamer helped a bit, but I think part of the problem is also the monitor system I'm currently plugged into in the basement studio... it doesn't quite respond in the low end like a real cab (or my real powered monitor setup) would.

I'm also considering adding an EMG Afterburner in in place of the tone knob as I never use the thing. Does anyone know if those prevent your entire guitar from working if the battery dies? It won't be the end of the world (as I know EMG battery life is long, and I have two active-equipped guitars already) but it's something I've never found out about.

Granted, it might be awhile before I can upgrade pickups or grab a pedal. My main gig is playing electric cello in my band, and I've only got one instrument, an acoustic cello with a Barcus-Berry piezo. Unfortunately, I just had its pickup and/or preamp crap out on me, and that badly needs to be fixed before I can spend any music-related money elsewhere.

One of these days I may unload a few of the minor six-strings I've accumulated and put it all towards a Yamaha or NS Design electric cello... but those things are around $2000-3000. You think custom guitars are expensive... custom electric cellos run $6-8k!

JBroll

Hard-On For Freedom™
Contributor
Reaction score
If it has true bypass it won't kill everything. If it doesn't you're out of luck. I don't know if it actually has true bypass, and I wouldn't trust any website that stands to make money off your purchase with finding out, so check with someone who has one.

Don't bother with the expensive Tube Screamers, the TS7 is $40 and is the proper TS9 circuit - and you can make it a TS808 by changing two resistors. I'd post a link to my entirely-too-long writeup but apparently I have to be careful or I'll offend people who don't like reading.

Jeff

ibznorange

Chief Officer/RHLC ©
Contributor
Reaction score
I'd post a link to my entirely-too-long writeup but apparently I have to be careful or I'll offend people who don't like reading.

:lol::lol:
[action=ibznorange]feels JBroll's thoughtpain[/action]

TemjinStrife

Power Metal Cellist
Reaction score
If it has true bypass it won't kill everything. If it doesn't you're out of luck. I don't know if it actually has true bypass, and I wouldn't trust any website that stands to make money off your purchase with finding out, so check with someone who has one.

Don't bother with the expensive Tube Screamers, the TS7 is $40 and is the proper TS9 circuit - and you can make it a TS808 by changing two resistors. I'd post a link to my entirely-too-long writeup but apparently I have to be careful or I'll offend people who don't like reading.

Jeff

:lol:

I read your comment about the TS7... and we'll see. Like I said, my #1 musical priority is to get my cello running again... we'll see if I've got $40 left over after that.

stubhead

Feral Buddha
Reaction score
upping the .59 low B to a .72 string definitely helped matters some

Yeah, a flabby string is a flabby string - it's not caused by a lack of overdrive, improper EQ in the lower mids or anything like that. All that can do is give you more clarity & definition to hear how flabby your string is.... have you seen this page?

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/sevenstring-guitars/8340-optimum-string-gauge-sets.html

A balanced tension set starting with .010s goes up to a .066 to .070, a new pickup has nothing to do with string tension. I think most manufacturer's seven-string set gauges are circumscribed by what string won't fit through every brand of tuner. You can go into the deep edit mode of your POD and do some pretty sophisticated EQ editing, but unless you've used a rack graphic EQ or have an elsewise EQ-trained ear it's hard to isolate exactly what frequencies you can change to tighten things. Strings sure are cheap....

TemjinStrife

Power Metal Cellist
Reaction score
Good point on the string gauge. I saw the "Optimized" page a while ago, but it took me a while to find a place that had a .70 for sale locally. I ended up buying a baritone set and using the low string.

The onboard EQ for the POD is a good idea... I'll have to try to hook the thing up to my computer with some studio headphones and tweak that a bit as well.

')