Flamenco + Jazz artists?

• Thread starter Stealthdjentstic
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Holy Katana

Wait, what?
Reaction score
For jazz, I could name off tons of cats to listen to. There's Jim Hall, Wes Montgomery, Pat Metheny, John Scofield, Pat Martino, Mike Stern, Al Di Meola, Kenny Burrell, Jimmy Bruno (who just happens to play sevens), Bill Frisell, John McLaughlin, Charlie Hunter, Alex Skolnick (one of my favorites in both jazz and metal), Tal Farlow, Larry Coryell, Django Rheinhardt, John Abercrombie, Vic Juris (who has his own column in Guitar World), and, of course, Joe Pass.

Those are just jazz guitarists, though. To tell you the truth, my favorite jazz artists are horn and piano players like Thelonious Monk, John Coltrane, Miles Davis, Wayne Shorter, Herbie Hancock, Bill Evans, Charlie Parker, and such.

For flamenco, I've only heard of Paco de Lucia and Paco Peña. They're both phenomenal, though, so check them both out.

awesomeargos

37 years on ax
Reaction score
Flamenco;

1.Sabicas 'Vol #3' is a classic.
2. Sabicas 'Flamenco Puro'.
3. Carlos Montoya his one hand approach made him famous.
4. Paco is boss now ask anyone (but i like the power and expression of Sabicas on vinyl.) Check out some of the Flamenco action in Peter Sellers movies like the Bobo etc he had some great performers. You must listen to singers if you want to do it right but that's to deep for now.
-------------------------------------------------------------
I suggest the following as finger style; Remember N.S.O.N.B. (no sharp objects near by)

1. Carlos Barbosa-Lima plays the music of 'Carlos Jobim & Gershwin.'
2. Stan Getz 'The Best Of two Worlds' (That guy Joao plays Bossa guitar just right.)
3. Lenny Breau 'Last Sessions' (Lenny was a drugged out genius uneven in his recordings but a wiz all the same.)
-to bad the cops let his murderer walk around free.
4. The disk 'Legends' with Johnny Smith playing classical music with a pick! and George Van Eps on the other "side".
5. George Van Eps 'mellow guitar'.
6. George Van Eps 'My Guitar'.
7. Ted Green.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Pick now or pick with fingers;
N.S.O.N.B.

1. Tommy Tedesco if you can find any some will be better than others but I only have one myself because he is hard to find.
2.* Wes Montgomery 'Movin Wes'.(I like this one best out of twenty or so in my collection).
3. George Barnes 'Plays So good'. George with Bucky if you can find it is fine fine fine.
4. Barny Kessel 'Soaring'.
5. Barny Kessel 'The Poll Winners ride Again!':wallbash:
#2 (i have them all but this one is the most fun.)
6. Pat Martino 'Comin & Goin' '.
7. Pat Martino 'Live'.
8. Herb Ellis and Joe Pass Two For 'The Road' and 'Seven Come 11'.
9. Chuck Wayne 'Traveling'
10. Tal Farlow 'Cookin On All Burners' (cooks)
11. 'The Return Of Tal Farlow 1969' (A drummer by the name of Allan Dawson)just ask a drummer.:bowdown:
The above will give you a good over view of -the people that guitars are named after -and from there you can take it were you want.:wavey:
*(Wes used his thumb.)

Last edited:

TaronKeim

Fiend
Reaction score
+1 on Pat Martino and Paco De Lucia

Charlie Hunter and John Scofield are some solid jazz cats from the more rock-funk side of things.

Kurt Rosenwinkel is a fantastic new voice in jazz guitar, amazing tonal textures and chord voicings. He also has a very unique composing voice... Heartcore and Deep Song are his most modern and innovative albums, IMO.

Pat Metheny is a unique voice, a leader and has influenced modern music and jazz in many ways. His debut from ECM is a fantastic place to start.

John Abercrombie is a veteran that has stylistically been all over the place, from fusion to avant-garde to modern jazz... etc, he is also a very unique voice, his work for ECM with the John Abercrombie Quartet is stellar, especially Class Trip and Third Quartet.

Jacob Young is a subdued genius of a composer, very subtle and complex, his arrangements are fluid and constantly evolving. Give Evening Falls and Sideways a try!

Sylvain Luc incredible folk/jazz/avant-garde virtuoso, flawless technique and unbelievable speed; he also has bitchin' composing/writing chops and does wonderful things on a nylon fretless. His Solo Ambre album is a beautifully composed solo date with all things guitar (nylon, acoustic, baritone, electric).

Bob Monder - Another new, unique voice, aggressive and rythmically complex: writes winding compositions with very different tonal juxtapositions and shifting key centers.

There are many other great guitar jazzers out there, but this is a good, well-rounded start, especially with all the classic cats that these other fine fellas have mentioned.

+ Infinity on Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Thelonious Monk and Charles Mingus, these are the guys that shaped Jazz and helped form the path it is on now.

Some other stellar, non-guitar cats, are:

Dave Holland - Composer/Arranger/Bass
Gil Evans - Composer/Arranger/Conductor/Piano
Maria Schnieder - Composer/Arranger/Conductor/Piano/Big Band Leader
Wynton Marsalis - Composer/Arranger/Trumpet
Branford Marsalis - Composer/Arranger/Sax
Jeff "Tain" Waits - Composer/Aranger/Drums (His solo recordings are super complex modern renditions of hard-bop, well worth searching out)
The Bad Plus - Piano/Drum/Bass Trio
Edward Simon - Composer/Arranger/Piano (Check out Oceanos w/David Binney; it was my top Jazz release last year, gorgeous music!)
David Binney - Composer/Sax (Super modern and forward thinking)
David Torn - Composer/Producer/Arranger/Sound Manipulator/Guitar (Just buy his album Prezens, it'll change how you view music and "song" forms)

Pump ANY of these names into All Music and read up on their influences, similar artists and biographies, that site is more than half my musical education.

_TJK*

Uber Mega

Try my fist!
Contributor
Reaction score
Check out Passion Grace and Fire (John McLaughlin, Al Di Meola and Paco DeLucia), especially the "The Guitar Trio" album...mix Jazz and Flamenco very nicely.

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
In addition to what's already been recommended, check out...

Mike Stern: 'Upside Downside'
John McLaughlin: 'Que Allegria' and 'Industrial Zen'
Jaco Pastorius: s/t
Kenny Burrell: 'Bless the Child'
Any good compilation of Django Reinhardt
Allan Holdsworth: Anything, but 'Secrets' is a great one to start with.
Bill Connors: 'Assembler'
Return to Forever: 'Hymn to the Seventh Galaxy'
Stanley Clarke: 'School Days'
Pat Martino: 'Live at Yoshis' and 'Think Tank'
Lenny Breau: 'Swinging on a Seven-string'
Tony Williams Lifetime: 'Believe It'
Weather Report: 'Heavy Weather'
Wes Montgomery: 'A Dynamic New Sound'
John Coltrane: 'Giant Steps'
Miles Davis: 'Kind of Blue' and 'In A Silent Way'
Frank Gambale: 'Live'
Shawn Lane: 'Powers of Ten'
Scott Henderson/Victor Wooten/Steve Smith: 'Vital Tech Tones'
Tribal Tech: 'Thick'
Jeff Beck: 'Wired'
Pat Metheny: Anything, but 'Bright Size Life' is a good one to start with.
John Scofield + Pat Metheny: 'I Can See Your House From Here'
Al DiMeola: 'Elegant Gypsy'
Larry Coryell: 'Eleventh House'
Garsed and Helmerich: 'Uncle Moe's Space Ranch'
Joe Pass: 'Virtuoso'
Derryl Gabel: 'Visions and Dreams'
Anything by Martin Taylor
Anything by Birelli Lagrene
Anything by (the massively underrated) Emily Remler

Your best bet is probably to go on Youtube and try and sample as much stuff as possible before you buy, as the banner of jazz actually covers a hell of a lot of different stuff.

Holy Katana

Wait, what?
Reaction score
Wow thanks for the help guys, any of these have powertabs available via UG?

Most likely. I wouldn't guess that some of the more obscure guys have any tabs on UG, but the most famous jazz guitarists have at least a couple. Tabs are not the way to go about learning jazz, though. You need to get a fakebook of some sort, preferably The Real Book. Inside is a multitude of lead sheets for tons of jazz songs. You need to know how to read music and lead sheet symbols to get anything out of it, but if you do, it's worth it. Also, be sure to get the one for instruments in C, as the guitar is tuned to concert tuning.

I mean, I guess you could start off on tabs, but you have to make sure you have the exact recording the tab is for, otherwise the solos (and possibly the head) will be grossly inaccurate.

Reaction score
Most likely. I wouldn't guess that some of the more obscure guys have any tabs on UG, but the most famous jazz guitarists have at least a couple. Tabs are not the way to go about learning jazz, though. You need to get a fakebook of some sort, preferably The Real Book. Inside is a multitude of lead sheets for tons of jazz songs. You need to know how to read music and lead sheet symbols to get anything out of it, but if you do, it's worth it. Also, be sure to get the one for instruments in C, as the guitar is tuned to concert tuning.

I mean, I guess you could start off on tabs, but you have to make sure you have the exact recording the tab is for, otherwise the solos (and possibly the head) will be grossly inaccurate.

Thanks, so what flamenco artists are the most popular and have powertabs available?

Stan P

Reaction score
I would through in Ojos de Brojo - more pop than others, but does not come short in flamenco performance. A very powerful modern interpretation mixed with jazz and hip-hop!

Luan

Reaction score
Actually John Mclaughlin covered both music styles in his playing.

')