Flat radius 6-string with floating trem

• Thread starter Nyrrth
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Nyrrth

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I've been trying to look for a 6-string guitar with some of the following specs:

- Flat neck radius 6-string guitar (ideally 20" radius, but 16-17" might be OK too, and preferably not a compound radius).

- Floyd Rose or equivalent floating tremolo.

- Only bridge and neck pick-up (no middle pick-up) - this is primarily for convenience, as I've noticed that my picking occurs right around where the middle pick-up sits, and guitars that have a middle pick-up tend to come in the way (unless they can sit well below the strings).

- Ideal body wood: mahogany/alder/swamp-ash or basswood

- Ideal neck: Maple neck, ebony fretboard

I've looked around and some have come close, but no cigar. For example, the Ibanez Prestige S-5570Q is a 17" neck radius but has a middle pick-up. Carvin can make exactly what I want, but unfortunately said that the Floyd Rose trem won't be compatible with their 20" necks.

Any ideas on what I can get that matches closely to what I'm looking for?

Thanks! :hbang:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

porknchili

G.A.S.ITIS
Reaction score
The Ibanez RG2820QZ (Japanese model), Ibanez JBM100 (seems to fit your need perfectly), Carvin HH-2 (XS headless tremolo although I don't know if you want a headless), and the Music Man JPX (non-locking tremolo, but very stable from what I've heard) off the top of my head.

Nyrrth

Reaction score
Thanks, porknchili! Looking at the Ibanez one now. The one thing I forgot to mention on the "must-haves" list is jumbo frets (with stainless steel being a nice-to-have). From what I know the Music Man is medium jumbo, but perhaps I should play one to see how the frets feel. Regarding Carvin, yeah the headless didn't quite gel with me.

Emperor Guillotine

The Almighty Ruler
Reaction score
Only thing would be the Vigier Shawn Lane Master Excalibur. I used to have one. Perfectly flat (infinite) radius and a trem that can float.

Not sure if a radius-ed flatboard is what you'd consider "flat", or if you just meant "flat" in like general terminology.

Veritech Zero

Jeffy Turbo
Reaction score
Well you can still get a Carvin with the 20" and just file the nut and shim the bridge to match the radius. I'm thinking that's what I'm going to do with my next build from them. And like it was mentioned, the HH-2X is a floating double locking trem, but on a headless guitar.

Veritech Zero

Jeffy Turbo
Reaction score
hahaha, yes it is. I would 110% recommend one if you want to go the headless route :) I know I'll be buying a few more this year pending on what new headless models they come out with at NAMM this year.

Straighteight2003

Reaction score
EBMM JP XI oder JP 12 have 20" and the ebony fretboard and two PU's!

JPX - was mentioned before - only has 15" like the regular JP's which do have the maple neck though.

')