Flatwound Strings: Viable for Extended Range Metal

• Thread starter Eliguy666
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Eliguy666

Holy shit I've been inactive for awhile
Reaction score
This seems like the best place to post this, as it pertains to a six string set but is used for an eight-string tuning level.

I've got a set of very thick D'addario chromes from Stringsonline (0.080-0.0015), and they play excellently for heavy metal. They're not quite as bright as roundwound strings, but that can be accounted for perfectly with EQ and extra volume.

Things that I've noticed with the Chromes on low F#-G six string tuning:
Less feedback than D'Addario nickel wounds. Maybe that's just my playing style being adapted to the smoother strings, but I get almost no feedback even with ludicrous gain on a Peavey XXX with no noise gate/suppressor.
Excellent feeling: The strings are perfectly smooth, but they have a kind of traction on your fingers that keep them from feeling like unwound strings. This makes it possible to play for as long as you want without ever getting tender fingertips.
Can't be unwound: I tried to unwind my 0.080 low F# to fit through the tuning peg, and it ruined the string, so I'm playing a temporary five string in B. I've got more incoming, though, and I'm going to make the drill my best friend.
Animals as Leaders type clean tone: Self explanatory, a goal for many people. The flatwounds do clean tones especially well, but can still clip on a hot pickup if you pick hard enough.

All in all, yes, the D'Addario Chromes are very nice for metal. :bowdown:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Eliguy666

Reaction score
Because I've got no recording gear other than a phone camera, and that doesn't tell people much. Sorry about that, Rook.

VigilSerus

Guys gals n guitars
Reaction score
Interesting! I just ordered myself a set for my 7 to test them out, but hopefully they are up to par. Maybe I'll upload a sound clip for you XP

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Hmm, I don't want to be a killjoy, but I can't imagine them sounding as good as roundwounds. I have a guitar with flatwounds, and while it definitely distorts if I play it through the dirty channel, it doesn't have nearly the same tone as the rounds. I guess if you were going for a very different metal sound it would work, but it doesn't have that articulate, snappy sound.

Hexatticus

Reaction score
I played flat wound strings once and they didn't sound good to me but thanks for trying them tuned low and telling about it

MemphisHawk

Reaction score
I played flat wounds for 6 months and abandoned them. The only thing round wounds can't do as well or better than flat wounds is slide guitar.

Reaction score
I have a RG7421 guitar permanently equipped with flatwounds... and DAs 7... I dig it a lot. One thing you need to know on doing metal with these strings is that you MUST use a different amp/fx EQ, with more mids/highs and presence, I would say...

They obviously won't snap as roundwounds, but they deliver quite well.

Different string types offer different EQs, if one finds his guitar/PUs too bright, maybe these strings will be usefull...

Now, if you are searching for traditional sounding metal, these strings aren't for you

Eliguy666

Reaction score
They can work for traditional metal if you turn up the gain a bit, turn down the lows, and turn up the volume. I don't know about other strings, but the chromes sound pretty articulate and traditionally metal when properly EQ'd (I play a Peavey XXX, so the ridiculous gain might be the cause of the good sound with flatwounds).

Edit: I also use Seymour Duncan Black Winters at moment, which are high output (but not necessarily the brightest, like others say).

Reaction score
Yes, they can work, but they'll give some fight before delivering. One must re-tweek everything almost from start... well, in my case, I use programable hardware, so one stomp on the board and I'm done...

This RG7421 has de D'Addario .011 7 string set. I got them for my fretless, but they work great in this guitar, since I like some fusion and jazzy sounds as well.

InfinityCollision

Reaction score
Like others here have said, flatwounds can work but you have to re-do a lot of your tone shaping around the difference in string properties. I used flats for a couple of years before switching to Kaliums and had no complaints with them.

One thing I found interesting about using flats was that string separation was more distinct to my ears than with roundwounds.

Fretless

Knob Fiddler
Reaction score
I have a set on my fretless guitar. They make for some good bluesy strings.

Latest posts

')