Flaxwood Guitars now available at The Axe Palace !

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I'm curious to see if they will become competition for Parkers. They both have interesting designs and materials. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Parker raise their prices recently too. So that would make the Flaxwood's really competitively priced for people looking into non-conventional guitars. But hey that's just me and I still wanna try out one of those crazy Michael Spalt Hybrids.

hmmm what would happen if they put a Piezo in one of these?

They've already made custom shop models with piezos, sustainers, all sorts of fun stuff. It can be done.

And yeah a Parker Fly Deluxe/Mojo is $3299 now, pretty steep. They have the bolt-on USA Dragonflys now which are more reasonable priced and quite nice, but just don't interest me as an original Parker Fly fan. The Flaxwoods feel a lot more solid and IMO sound way better (I hope the Washburn people don't read this...I'm still a fan guys, honest!)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Nick this is exciting news!:yesway:

:(

Indeed, I'm excited. Definitely switching to these for my 6-string stuff.

Traitor!!! :lol:

Shit, I'm so down for one of these one day. Their finishes are amazing, and the concept is awesome to boot.

Any dealers in your neck of the woods? Would be great if you could jam on one and see if you dig it as much as we do :)

Daemoniac

Rivethead Magnate.
Contributor
Reaction score
I doubt it, but hey, i'll have a look :lol: I still like the feel of 6 string necks, and there are more pickup options to boot :D (such as pretty BKP covers :lol:) But i'm really intrigued by these, and the price is pretty fucking awesome as well, considering.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Well fuck me sideways, there's a dealer like half an hour from me :eek: I think a trip to visit is in order :D

Theeeere you go! Give it a spin and let me know what you think :)

Reaction score
flax29.jpg

Whats the name of this model, where an when can i get one, how much are they, and is that you holding the guitar Zimbloth?

Trespass

AEADGBEA
Reaction score
Are they interested in porting the technology to acoustics? I mean, that's the real indicator of how incredible the material is acoustically. Until then, I'm feeling it's a gimmick..

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
flax29.jpg

Whats the name of this model, where an when can i get one, how much are they, and is that you holding the guitar Zimbloth?

That's the Aija. You can get one from me (or any Flaxwood dealer). They are $1449. No that's my bandmate Buddy who came to NAMM with me. I was taking the photo.

Feel free to get in touch with me if you'd like more info :yesway:

Are they interested in porting the technology to acoustics? I mean, that's the real indicator of how incredible the material is acoustically. Until then, I'm feeling it's a gimmick..

Well your feeling is incorrect I'm afraid. It's the same principle. These are semi-hollow guitars with insane acoustic properties. Unplugged its absurdly loud and resonant. Plugged in that translates to great tone and sustain. At least the 4-5 models I played extensively at NAMM all reacted that way. I can't verify there haven't been duds at some point in their history.

If you play one it'll all make sense, very rapidly. It doesn't have to be an acoustic guitar for the benefits of these things to be instantly apparent. Take it easy with the negative assumptions :)

Fionn

Reaction score
i played a few of these at LIMS 2008, sooooooper nice guitars, smooth necks and god like tone, well vintage gods anyway!!! Def not a gimmick! An innovation if anything! and pretty decently priced when you compare to ibbys, fenders and other prodution guitars etc etc!

it is a real shame they don't do 7s (yet)! understandable but still a shame.

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
i´ve wanted to try one of these for a long time... their pricing is pretty humane too, typical "expencive production guitar" price. i could see myself having one some day in the future (after the wedding haha)

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
i played a few of these at LIMS 2008, sooooooper nice guitars, smooth necks and god like tone, well vintage gods anyway!!! Def not a gimmick! An innovation if anything! and pretty decently priced when you compare to ibbys, fenders and other prodution guitars etc etc!

You speak the truth man :agreed:

Fionn said:
it is a real shame they don't do 7s (yet)! understandable but still a shame.

Yeah that would be cool but its definitely understandable on their part. They want to make basses and other things but its just too expensive right now. Despite what some people think, the machinery and process to make things are very complex and expensive.

i´ve wanted to try one of these for a long time... their pricing is pretty humane too, typical "expencive production guitar" price. i could see myself having one some day in the future (after the wedding haha)

Ya they're worth a try for sure. Quite an experience. I've been daydreaming about them ever since I've been back from California. First shipment is on its way, I will get these mid-week and post some more pics/etc.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Nice stuff. Do they make a model with 24 frets?

Nope. I didn't even notice at the show honestly, played so fucking good. It would be nice if they though but it wont be happening anytime too soon.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
I hate how these innovative companies like these guys, Steinberger and Parker totally shun 7 strings and whatnot. I appreciate what they're doing, though.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I hate how these innovative companies like these guys, Steinberger and Parker totally shun 7 strings and whatnot. I appreciate what they're doing, though.

I totally agree Ken, I'm with you. It's just because the machinery is SO specialized and SO expensive, sadly it's often not a viable option. That's why they don't make baritones or 7s or even basses.

I've talked to both Parker and Flaxwood about this topic in depth. Flaxwood people want to do more with their designs (extended range stuff, acoustics, etc) but just have already invested obscene amounts of cash to make their current models. In Parker's case, they really CANT do anything new with the original Fly designs because they failed in reverse engineering Ken's designs. So thats why all new Parker models are nothing like the original Flys, and why the basses were discontinued once Washburn took over.

')