Flaxwood Liekki Sythetic Material Guitar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I recently read about this guitar in a magazine the creators claim that the material has "consistent" tonal qualities blah blah blah

Its basically like a wood paste that they mould with resin.

Im not sure what they actually sound like since I havent played one but theyre promoting this as an eco guitar since there is less waste in the manufacturing process.

the price is stupid though I think this model costs over £2000

You can check out there stuff here for yourself and post your thoughts on synthetic material guitars pro/cons (not "FFFFUUUUU NOOB" flaming plz)

Home - Flaxwood Guitars

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Customisbetter

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
Contributor
Reaction score
These are quality guitars. I've played a couple and they were quite nice.

Many with far more experience and better ears than I have praised their sonic consistency. Playing one guitar and then another and finding the same sound is not a common occurance.

maliciousteve

Contributor
Reaction score
A dealer on this board sells them (Zimbolith) and going by what he's said they're great guitars.

Personally I don't like the look of them but I do like the construction, very interesting.

Chickenhawk

A Bad Idea
Contributor
Reaction score
I've been dying to try one of these out for a while. Very interesting.

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
IN theory manufactured material guitars could for all purposes be superior. You have something you do not have in wood, consistantly. You can tune the resonant frequencies of the instrument to any particular point of the spectrum. It holds a lot of promise.

That one is pretty. Something more synthetic guitars lack.

haffner1

Reaction score
Correct me if I don't remember exactly right, but didn't another company try this a couple years ago? I remember that they showed up on musician's friend and there was an article about how great they were. They started out somewhat expensive- not 3500 eu. but, maybe $700 - $1000 or something. By the end of it, MF had a stack of them on sale for like $150 or something because they couldn't unload them. I was tempted to pick one up just to check them out, but it was not a good time for me, and there were no 7 strings.

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
^ I remember a 900$ composite guitar the never surfaced at that price and cost much more thereafter but that is about it.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
These have been discussed before. They're cool, but I still can't bring myself to spend $2k for a guitar made from wood pulp and injection molded resin :2c: :lol:

I do think some of them look cool as hell thought :agreed:

shogunate

Reaction score
I'm a huge fan of that weird pattern the "grain" gets, and that semi hollow looks effing tasty....

When I first read that they mix a conformed recipe for wood I was immediately skeptical too, but if Zimbloth is anything to go by..:shrug: Gotta be something to the tone!

Better than some company I recall coming across that praised the tonal properties of balsa wood :lol:

Elijah

Reaction score
I ended up canceling a bernie rico 7 string order to get a 6 string instead, and a Flaxwood Rautia just so happens to be what I went with.
I'm definitely going to have to say that it's one of the best sounding guitars I've ever heard. The cleans are INCREDIBLE. Certainly one of the best playing guitars, that's for SURE. I think for the price on these, you can't beat them. They compete with guitars $1000+ their prices.
Plus, these guitars are indifferent to climate changes :yesway:
Greatly reliable geet

matt397

Tr00f
Reaction score
I'm a huge fan of that weird pattern the "grain" gets, and that semi hollow looks effing tasty....

When I first read that they mix a conformed recipe for wood I was immediately skeptical too, but if Zimbloth is anything to go by..:shrug: Gotta be something to the tone!

Better than some company I recall coming across that praised the tonal properties of balsa wood :lol:

When I first heard about this I immediately thought of MDF or Lamenated planking :lol:

Thep

Blast & Sweep
Reaction score
Correct me if I don't remember exactly right, but didn't another company try this a couple years ago? I remember that they showed up on musician's friend and there was an article about how great they were. They started out somewhat expensive- not 3500 eu. but, maybe $700 - $1000 or something. By the end of it, MF had a stack of them on sale for like $150 or something because they couldn't unload them. I was tempted to pick one up just to check them out, but it was not a good time for me, and there were no 7 strings.

I've been constantly trying to remember what these were called. I remember it had a weird kink in the upper horn like a Parker Fly.

littlephil

Reaction score
Some older Ibanez Talmans had "Resoncast" bodies that were sort of similar to this; compressed wood chips. They were supposedly quite light and resonant, but I've never played one.

shanejohnson02

Hammer of the Gods
Reaction score
From a design / engineering standpoint, it's a fantastic idea. From a buyer's more aesthetic viewpoint...eh...the design could use some work. Not that it's ugly, it's just too "out there" to appeal to most of your guitar players. They forget that as a whole we're not a very forward-thinking bunch; we get our sounds with technology from the 30's for pete's sake (vacuum tubes, anyone? Actually, the electronic phenomena they capture was discovered in 1873, to be precise. They just got big after radio made it to the masses.)

I think if they had some more traditional-esque designs at a cheaper price point, it would be a massive win. Vacuum-forming wood chip resin can't be *that* expensive, and it's probably an easy material to work with when it comes to installing frets/pickups/hardware.

A for effort and concept. C- for execution.

EDIT: This sounded way harsher than I intended. The guitars ARE very attractive pieces, and from what I've heard sound VERY good. They just don't offer as standard the range of options other manufacturers do. Is it too much to ask for 24 frets? Maybe not a floyd, but a proprietary 2-point trem a la Music Man? I understand a 7 is a stretch, but it would be nice...

FLGearnut

Reaction score
i remember reading somewhere that flaxwoods dont fare well if you get them wet.....this could be its kryptonite.:scratch:

Variant

Banned
Reaction score
From a buyer's more aesthetic viewpoint...eh...the design could use some work. Not that it's ugly, it's just too "out there" to appeal to most of your guitar players.

Actually as a staunch non-traditionalist, I love the idea of the materials used... but, honestly, that shit looks full-on grandpa blueswanker to my eyes. :shrug: I don't see it as out there at all.

Now, here's "out there" (and made with real chunks of wood): :cool:

P1000045.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
')