"floyd" bridge and "nut" questions

• Thread starter gregj
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

gregj

Reaction score
so I got new 7 string guitar (will change me avatar soon, this looks like I am some nice bluesy boy..).

There's this general problem, it looks like if I tune 5th string to A, 2nd fret - should be B#, and it is +some on my tuner (it doesn't matter, if scae would be in cents, it is somewhere around +0.5 and +1 cents). So I end up tuning it 0.25+ on empty string - just to get rest sound well. That ain't right, needless to say.

What you reckon folks.

Another one, how do you guys think I should 'tune up' scale length on it, if possible without need to remove strings each time. Any tools recommended for that ?ta

Attachments

• 00001.jpg
    00001.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 00002.jpg
    00002.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 00003.resized.jpg
    00003.resized.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 8
  • 00005.resized.jpg
    00005.resized.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 8
  • 00008.resized.jpg
    00008.resized.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 7

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

newamerikangospel

Tonight.......you
Reaction score
wow, I have no idea what you are asking. If im not mistaken you are referring to intonation. You dont need to take the string out for intonation, just slaken it where it wont pull the saddle when you loosen the screw.

gregj

Reaction score
alright, to clearlify :
scale length "tuning" (I don't know what's the pro term for that) - is a way to insure that harmonic over 12th fret (middle of string length), is the same as note you strike on 12th fret. Now, usually (read:always) I would do it by moving little bars on bridge up or down the string. Here, as you can see on one of pics, it is impossible without me removing the string. Unless you guys know of some other ninja way :)

Another problem, is that - well tuned open string, on tuner, on 2nd fret shows 0.5-1 cent up, which is worring.

newamerikangospel

Tonight.......you
Reaction score
Lol, intonation is the term I am aware of. No you can do it without removing the string. Again, slacken it enough to wear it goes limp, undo the screw, move it in or out, depending on how its reading, and then tighten the screw down (dont gorilla fist it. I had a bad experience with one stripping) and tune back up.

A guitar is on a temperment tuning scale. Idealy, the open and the twelvth fret will be "perfect" and the rest will be a little bit off. Make sure your fret hand isn't pulling it out of tune by pressing to hard, or the action/nut is to high. Other than that, it shouldn't be extremely noticeable.

metalfiend666

-
Forum MVP
Reaction score
This guide is based on Ibanez trems, but the principle's the same. It's a bitch of a job though, which is why many people get professionals to deal with intonating Floyd equipped guitars.

BTW, 2nd fret of the A string is actually B, not B# ;)

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Two words: The Key.

Seriously, I used to pay to get Floyds intonated, since it's a bitch to do without this simple tool.

newamerikangospel

Tonight.......you
Reaction score
Hmmm, I've never had a problem (with the exception of stripping out a screw) and I learned everything from a guitar "bible" thing. Then again, I love working with mechanical stuff. If you want to save money, learn to do it yourself. If it takes you 4 hours, and saves you $60, that is you making $15 an hour.

gregj

Reaction score
the tool is out of stock :/

yes, action is bit too high too. I can cope with that, but for instance unable to play 'as I am' solo in full speed with that. (not to mention that access to 20-24th fret is bit hard on that guitar, with me podge hand).:scratch:

What's the best way to lower string action than ? those two screws holding bridge on sides ?

Yes, it is B not B#, sorry.

thanks for replies guys :shred: :)