Floyd identification help

• Thread starter DimMak
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DimMak

Reaction score
Can someone tell me what kind of floyd this is?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240820-083333_Brave.jpg
    Screenshot_20240820-083333_Brave.jpg
    973.7 KB · Views: 46

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
That is what I thought also. Guys says it's an original but I am not sure.
Technically, both are "originals."

The giveaway, other than looking for the Made In Germany stamp (which is no longer on new ones) on the underside, is the bend in the baseplate to the plane the fine tuners are on. The 1000 series surface with the fine tuners is a bit narrower than on the Schaller-made originals, and the bend is sometimes less precise.

The saddles used to have a bevel on the back edge, but that is no longer the case. The back portion of the saddle behind the hinge might also be shorter. The arm attachment is slightly different and the arms often don't fit as well on the 1000.

All of that is hard to see on the picture. I was mostly looking for the bend in the baseplate, but I wouldn't say I'm confident.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
Actually, after looking at several of mine, the 1000 saddles do still have the bevel on the back edge. Not sure why I thought they didn't.

Sermo Lupi

Reaction score
Actually, after looking at several of mine, the 1000 saddles do still have the bevel on the back edge. Not sure why I thought they didn't.

That'd make it a 1000, then. You can definitely see a bevel on the G-string saddle.

Nightside

I AM THE EMPEROR
Reaction score
The finish looks a bit different. Like they use different techniques for coloring them. The 1000 and special is usually a solid glossy black all over. The German ones can have a bit of metal shining through in the hex wrench holes in the studs for instance. And the screws are usually a different kind of black than the base plate and saddles on the German one.

DimMak

Reaction score
The 1000s don't have "Pro" or "Special" stamped under the floyd logo?

Looks like I may throw a Schaller or Gotoh in if I can fit the Gotoh. It's a 90s Dinky Professional XL. I put a Schaller in my 95 Soloist Professional XL.

Nightside

I AM THE EMPEROR
Reaction score

Looks like I may throw a Schaller or Gotoh in if I can fit the Gotoh. It's a 90s Dinky Professional XL. I put a Schaller in my 95 Soloist Professional XL.
1000 looks just like an OFR unless you look really close.

DimMak

Reaction score
What is the difference between a 1000 and an Original German made?

MetalDestroyer

Heaven's Football Bat
Reaction score
yep mmhm that there you've got is a floyd rose double-locking tremolo yessir says it right next to the doohickey alright

Nightside

I AM THE EMPEROR
Reaction score
What is the difference between a 1000 and an Original German made?
1000 is made in Korea. Supposably to the same spec as the German one. Meaning they should basically be the same. Just cost saving by paying Koreans less than Germans to build them.

I had a 1000 series in Iraq and put it through a lot of punishment with no problems. I actually thought it was an OFR until I looked closer at the specs of the guitar in the catalog.

ZLE

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Somehow I can't buy this. Life Standard in South Korea is comparable to Germany. They can't pay them that much less imo. Sure, I remember there was some drama in Cort factory in Korea years ago with mistreatment and bad conditions, but that wasn't normal, hence the drama. I think that there must be some compromise with the used materials If even Harley Bemton can afford to put FR1000 on a 400 euro guitar.

jrn1308

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Somehow I can't buy this. Life Standard in South Korea is comparable to Germany. They can't pay them that much less imo. Sure, I remember there was some drama in Cort factory in Korea years ago with mistreatment and bad conditions, but that wasn't normal, hence the drama. I think that there must be some compromise with the used materials If even Harley Bemton can afford to put FR1000 on a 400 euro guitar.

Just took a quick look: Average salary in Germany is something around 4.300 Euro and in South Korea around 2.700 Euro. Probably South Korea also has much lower costs like electricity, taxes and so on for companies.

And don't underestimate just the name branding of "OFR made in Germany" vs "just a cheap asian made Floyd". If you buy an OFR right now at Thomann you pay 444 Euro. If you buy a Schaller Lockmeister (basically the same trem as a Floyd Rose even made by the company that makes the OFR) you pay 219 Euro. Or go even lower and buy a Japanese made very similar Gotoh GE1996T for 149 Euro.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Schaller will fit fine. You may have to swap to the short bolts for the Gotoh, as mine on the same guitar is about 1/16th of an inch over the rout. I shimmed mine and raised the trem so it's not a big deal to me, but just for awareness...

')