Floyd identification help

• Thread starter DimMak
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DimMak

Reaction score
One more thing that can be used for identification of the 1000 vs German OFR.

The tension plate on the 1000 series has indents in the portions that contact the string locking bolts. The German OFR doesn't.
Are the materials the same?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
Are the materials the same?
Similar enough that I have never had an issue with the 1000 returning to pitch, never had an issue with the saddles breaking (unlike the softer metal saddles of the special), and I've never had an urge to replace the 1000s I've had. The hardness of the metal is either the same or so similar it's functionally the same.

Sometimes the fine tuners aren't quite as smooth and the arms don't fit as well. A lot of German OFRs also have poorly fitting arms too though, and you can always replace with the push-in style. That's about where the functional differences end.

Nightside

I AM THE EMPEROR
Reaction score
Similar enough that I have never had an issue with the 1000 returning to pitch, never had an issue with the saddles breaking (unlike the softer metal saddles of the special), and I've never had an urge to replace the 1000s I've had. The hardness of the metal is either the same or so similar it's functionally the same.

Sometimes the fine tuners aren't quite as smooth and the arms don't fit as well. A lot of German OFRs also have poorly fitting arms too though, and you can always replace with the push-in style. That's about where the functional differences end.
I really love the arm system of the Gotoh 1996 and 510. I wish they would sell that part on its own so I can replace the couplers on my FR and Edge trems.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I really love the arm system of the Gotoh 1996 and 510. I wish they would sell that part on its own so I can replace the couplers on my FR and Edge trems.

You can also try the Red Bishop, maybe? It's more like a push in Schaller though.

DimMak

Reaction score
You can also try the Red Bishop, maybe? It's more like a push in Schaller though.
I had a Red Bishop and didn't like it nearly as much as the floyd brand push in bar.
Not sure if that will fit the trem hes talking about but if it does, go with the Floyd one for sure.

')