Floyd Rose fine tuner tension plate issue?

• Thread starter Ikaruga
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ikaruga

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hei,
I have some issues on one of my floyds that i havent seen before. This is my only Floyd Rose brand bridge I have, as the other ones as Schaller.

1) All the saddles are lifted, thus creating a gap as seen in the first picture. When pushing the string lock screws the saddles move a little bit down but cant get flushed to the body.

2) Perhaps the saddles are positioned too far back that they hit the angled body side as seen in the second picture. The string lock screws protrude much more at the back of the bridge as compare to my Schaller trems.

3) The G string saddle does not move down, even by pushing by hand with the string lock screw. Thus the fine tuner does not work cause its unable to push the saddle down. Could this be cause by the fine tuner tension plate?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
There are replacement parts for these Floyd Rose units.

1 - Verify each string's INTONATION, the G string saddle looks to be backed way too much... but then, all strings are backed a bit too much.
2 - I'd look for slightly shorter string lock screws.
3 - I'd also look for slightly longer Fine Tune screws

mastapimp

Reaction score
The saddles are pretty far back. Looking at the close-up profile view you provided, the low E looks like it has a little bit of room to move down, but not much. Once it hits the angled portion of the bridge, it's not going to move, which is likely what's happening with your G string. The other strings look like they have enough distance from the slant to properly tune. Replacing the screws and tuners will not help this problem. You have to physically move the saddle further forward. If you can't keep that g string intonated, you may have to change string gauges or just keep it there and tune using the traditional tuners and re-lock it.

TheBloodstained

Casual music entusiast
Reaction score
It seems a bit extreme, but I guess if you're using a pretty low tuning and have them backed so far up to achieve correct intonation, yes?
I remember a Cannibal Corpse studio video where Pat O'Brien took a dremel and grinded a good bit of metal off of his floydrose to get it to intonate properly. I think that was for drop A tuning. Side note: It was a brand new custom shop guitar.

If you want to DIY the problem the cheapest way possible, then I suggest grinding some material off the bottom of the string lock block saddle thingy (don't know the correct term). If you give it a 45 degree chamfer it should work.Screenshot 2024-01-16 122126.png

...the more elegant solution would of cause be to buy the proper hardware :)

gabito

Stay at home musician
Reaction score
1) That's normal. Otherwise the fine tuners wouldn't work.
2) It seems your guitar's intonation required some extreme measures... If intonation is fine this way you can buy shorter string lock screws or carve a bigger hole in the guitar if you want to be able to pull up your floyd rose.
3) It seems the G string lock screw is hitting the guitar's body. If that's not the case, maybe the fine tuner is broken, or malfunctioning. Same for the saddle. Loosen the string and try to move it, some oil or WD-40 might do the trick

NoodleFace

Delicious Noodles
Reaction score
One other observation, and myabe because I'm OCD with floyds, but your floyd isn't exactly level so probably exacerbating the issue,

Fine tuners work by pushing down on the screw and creating more/less tension causing the string to go sharp/flat. As for the G String, not sure on that.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
What tuning are you in? I’d bet that you (or whoever set it up) pulled the saddle back from the normal intonation zone into a more returned one. I’d move the saddles closer to the front of the plate and try intonating again.

Ikaruga

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
What tuning are you in? I’d bet that you (or whoever set it up) pulled the saddle back from the normal intonation zone into a more returned one. I’d move the saddles closer to the front of the plate and try intonating again.
guitar is in C standard with 11 to 52.
I will move the saddles closer and try intonating again