Floyd Rose tuning issues after downtuning

shredderroland

Reaction score
I had my Schecter Hellraiser Hybrid C1 FR S downtuned by a whole step. It stays perfectly in tune until I use the FR trem. It goes out of tune at the slightest touch of the trem but is otherwise fine. This hasn't been a problem before it was downtuned, tuning was rock solid. It's a genuine Floyd with Elixir strings. Does anyone have any idea what could be the problem?

Deceptus

Reaction score
Did you change the string gauge?

If not, there could be less tension between the springs and strings. Let's say there needs to be a certain balance between springs and strings to make the Floyd Rose float. If downtuning the tension of the strings is lowered and thus the springs take up more tension pulling the Floyd Rose slightly backwards. As a result, the Floyd Rose is slightly angled. If you use the tremelo system, it won't return to it's zero position, resulting in a slight tuning problem.

The the knife edges the Floyd Rose can also be worn down a bit. I have had this with my Floyd Rose as well. You could try and use a bit of teflon spray/oil and smoothen it up. It helped me for a while.

shredderroland

Reaction score
The gauge was changed from 9 to 10 and an extra spring was put in to compensate which makes it 3 in total. The spring came with the guitar so all three springs are the same strength. The guitar is less than a year old so I don't think it has anything to do with wear. The bridge is completely flush with the body when I look at it but it's possible that it doesn't return exactly to the same position although I can't see any difference.
It seems I'll have to get a guitar tech set it up properly because there is no obvious reason for the issue. I know the guitar can stay perfectly in tune when using the trem because it used to before the strings were changed. No amount of trem use would make it go out of tune.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

devastone

Reaction score
Did you stretch the strings really good before locking them down?

Also make sure the screws that hold the nut to the neck are tight, just don't get crazy and overtighten them, but they are worth checking.

Sollipsist

Reaction score
Probably a silly question but... does it take less and less retuning over time ? Even with only dropping my 6th string a whole step, I had to keep adjusting the tuning every so often until the tension balance settled in, over maybe an hour or two. With new strings it probably would have taken longer.

Zachman1750

Reaction score
My Floyd had issues with the saddles not being tightened enough, so they were sliding slowly towards the neck. Check the saddles.

mguilherme87

SouthShoreSeven
Reaction score
Did y
The gauge was changed from 9 to 10 and an extra spring was put in to compensate which makes it 3 in total. The spring came with the guitar so all three springs are the same strength. The guitar is less than a year old so I don't think it has anything to do with wear. The bridge is completely flush with the body when I look at it but it's possible that it doesn't return exactly to the same position although I can't see any difference.
It seems I'll have to get a guitar tech set it up properly because there is no obvious reason for the issue. I know the guitar can stay perfectly in tune when using the trem because it used to before the strings were changed. No amount of trem use would make it go out of tune.
Did you adjust the action by raising or lowering the posts? The posts might have grooves worn into them at certain points on the posts which could cause instability

CrushingAnvil

Ironically enough, now in Jesus Land
Reaction score
You can't just put another string in the back and hope for the best. Changing string gauges will require adjustment of the trem claw regardless of the tuning you switch to. It takes time to retune and make the microadjustments necessary for the trem to return to zero when used - work on that.

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Reaction score
Chapstick on the posts where the knife edge meets it. And once your strings are stretched and tuned, do a full divebomb, let it return to neutral, and fine tune.

Latest posts