Floyd Roses are awful

Taerix

Reaction score
i just got done setting up my Hill changing it from 9 gauge strings in standard to 12 gauge in drop A and it was the most frustrating hour and a half of my life... am i the only one that despises setting floating tremolo's up?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dooky

Reaction score
If you've had plenty of experience with them and know what you're doing they aren't really a problem. If you're going to continually use that same gauge strings from now on you shouldn't have too much of a problem.

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
I got my first double-locking trem guitar back in 91 (RRpro).
Had no local techs and no internet.
It sucked figuring it all out for myself, and it took me much longer than 1.5hrs to setup with larger gauges.
Takes a few times before it's all easy, but after that it is easy.
I'd say can do it blindfolded now, but that's a bit of an exhageration.

s4tch

Reaction score
I have a love and hate thing with Floyds. Yes, even good quality floating trems are a bit of pain in the ass to tune up with new gauges. To avoid that, one can always:
- get a fixed bridge guitar
- block the trem, either with a tremol-no or just with a wooden block
- find a tech
- get an Ibanez with a zero-point system (setting the trem level and spring tension on zero trems is fool-proof, easy as pie)
- do some practice.

ZXIIIT

XIII
Reaction score
My RG560 has a ZR tremolo, my K-7 has a Lo-Pro, ever since I learned how to set them up properly, changing strings is about a 15 minute ordeal :)

And as much as I prefer hardtails, having some variety with trem guitars is awesome.

Don Vito

Reaction score
"Sweeping is hard, should I get an Ibanez???!!!????"
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:rep because I've actually heard things like this before

Sure, their necks might make it easier to some people, but they're not going to start teaching lessons any time soon.

octatonic

I can count to 8.
Reaction score
The Gotoh Floyd is incredibly stable.
It won't help you change string faster but it is a really well engineered piece of gear.

capoeiraesp

Reaction score
What is an onbnoxious Floyd Roses?

Me and Floyd Rose tremolos = love/hate

Jason_Clement

Reaction score
Like any other piece of gear, it's personal preference. I happen to agree, though -- I hate floyd roses. Floating trems are hard as hell to set up, and take longer to change strings, and for me I don't feel like it's worth it. It detracts from the value of any given guitar for me, and makes me less likely to play it. Therefore, I don't buy guitars with floyds :p

I would suggest selling the guitar if it bothers you to the point that they bother me, and get something hard tail.

ittoa666

Being confused on SS.org since 2008
Reaction score
blocked-tremolo.jpg

And I will continue to do that to every floyd equipped guitar I own because I love the way they feel on the palm.

Dayn

Reaction score
Wait, a massive change in string gauge requiring a totally new setup on a floating bridge... And it only took 90 minutes?

Christ, I have a fixed bridge and can spend up to two hours perfecting a totally new setup.

jarnozz

Let´s Get Wasted!
Reaction score
takes me 10 minutes xD though I have 2 floyd rose equipped guitars and change strings every month or so for the past 3 years xD you will get used to it.

Wrecklyss

Custom Speaker Cabinet Builder
Reaction score
A detent system (Tremsetter, Tremel-no, etc..) makes life much easier. I was about to go fixed bridge only until i tried out a Tremsetter. Now i can keep 6 strings in tune if i break one.

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
Wait, a massive change in string gauge requiring a totally new setup on a floating bridge... And it only took 90 minutes?

Christ, I have a fixed bridge and can spend up to two hours perfecting a totally new setup.

Yeah that is real quick for a first time floyd'r if doing different gauge, tuning, intonation, truss, action, ect.,,
One thing that helps me out, is when re-doing everything I string backwards with ball end at headstock.
Just make sure string is pulled through all the way, under retainer-bar, and pulled tight through proper nut slot and snip at 1/4" past fine tuner knobs of bridge.
This way when it's time to calibrate the bridge saddles for intonation you can slacken the string tension floppy and not have the string pop or slip at the headstock tuner. Makes the saddle adjustments even easier.

Latest posts

')