Floyd Roses are awful

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

XeoFLCL

Reaction score
blocked-tremolo.jpg

And I will continue to do that to every floyd equipped guitar I own because I love the way they feel on the palm.

This.
FIXED EDGE>Blocked Lo-Pro>Blocked Floyd>TOM>Schaller models>Gotoh models>*>crap>low-end fixed bridges (hello pre-2009? ibanez RG7321! can't comment on the new 2010 onward ibanez RG standard line bridges though as I really haven't played an Ibanez seriously since I had my RG7620 unfortunately, but they look a little nicer so maybe they're decent.)

One I can't quite put on this list yet would have to be the new Ibanez Tight-End.. that thing looks like it could be the perfect fixed bridge :yesway:

Amonihil

Lurker
Reaction score
Seriously, there are thousands of YouTube videos, forums, online articles, etc...

We ALL had to learn.

^This.
When you check these sources for tutorials it´s not really that hard. But don´t worry, you´ll get the hang of it sooner or later.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
You should have known the job was dangerous when you took it. Soldiers don't come back from war surprised they got shot at... Likewise, you should have been prepared for a string gauge change on a floyd rose to take longer than on a fixed bridge... :shrug:

Hyperbolic perhaps, but it's the first thing that came to mind.

XeoFLCL

Reaction score
You should have known the job was dangerous when you took it. Soldiers don't come back from war surprised they got shot at... Likewise, you should have been prepared for a string gauge change on a floyd rose to take longer than on a fixed bridge... :shrug:

Hyperbolic perhaps, but it's the first thing that came to mind.

I dunno, when I got my first REAL floyd rose equipped guitar years and years ago somewhere around maybe late 2005? (A Jackson DKMG) I was clueless to the whole concept of floyd roses.. Needless to say the internet wasn't as much of a dependable and tutorial friendly place as it is now, even if there were resources out there even then :lol: After that, I never bought another guitar with a floyd rose until I think my RG7620 in like... 2007~2008 or something and I think that's around where I learned about blocking floyd roses and quick ways to set them up :yesway:

But yeah, in this day and time, if you simply type in "floyd rose" on youtube, you'll get plenty of videos of people demonstrating how to set them up. In a sense, I guess there really isn't an excuse for this. :ugh:

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
Changing string gauges - not that bad

Changing tunings - Not that bad

Changing both? Kind of Frustrating, but still not that bad.

The only thing I hate doing on floyds is intonation adjustments. Even though are kind of a pain to set up, once they're set up and you don't change string gauges or tunings they are more stable tuning-wise than just about any option out there. To each their own, but all my guitars are set up for floating and I love it.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
But yeah, in this day and time, if you simply type in "floyd rose" on youtube, you'll get plenty of videos of people demonstrating how to set them up. In a sense, I guess there really isn't an excuse for this. :ugh:

Unless your particular bridge is just a lemon or a cheap licensed floyd (Cheap is a modifier to describe a subset of licensed floyed roses, not all licensed floyd. The Ibanez Edge--among others--is sick.)

nihilism

Reaction score
They require a little extra work but that's the price you pay for a system that floats and stays in tune really well (granted you have a decent trem).

NeglectedField

Reaction score
This.
FIXED EDGE>Blocked Lo-Pro>Blocked Floyd>TOM>Schaller models>Gotoh models>*>crap>low-end fixed bridges (hello pre-2009? ibanez RG7321! can't comment on the new 2010 onward ibanez RG standard line bridges though as I really haven't played an Ibanez seriously since I had my RG7620 unfortunately, but they look a little nicer so maybe they're decent.)

One I can't quite put on this list yet would have to be the new Ibanez Tight-End.. that thing looks like it could be the perfect fixed bridge :yesway:

Agreed. I might add the Ibanez ZR trems there as they have the hipshot-style stabilizing system in them. I've got an S320 and it can take a reasonable amount of palming without going sharp. Very comfortable.

7 Strings of Hate

Mid-Level Asshole
Contributor
Reaction score
I DONT KNOW HOW TO WORK SOMETHING SO IT SUCKS!!!!
Is what this thread should be named.

Floyds arnt hard. They are simple. I figured mine out in the 90's with no help. And with the resources out today, this should be even simpler.

renzoip

I Am the Table
Reaction score
Some are awful, some are cool. It depends of which kinds of floyd you have. I specially like the OFR, and the Ibanez ZR trems. :yesway:

ImBCRichBitch

Reaction score
I started on a floyd, and i have no problems.
My problems were when i switched to using a wrap around leo quan. I chose floyd rose over any fixed bridge at all. or a blocked trem.

keithhagel

Reaction score
Eh, I don't particularly like floating tremolos. Then again, I purposely don't buy them precisely because I prefer fixed bridge and standard tremolo bridges. Perhaps you could take it back and get a different one?

edsped

Reaction score
Changing string gauges - not that bad

Changing tunings - Not that bad

Changing both? Kind of Frustrating, but still not that bad.

The only thing I hate doing on floyds is intonation adjustments. Even though are kind of a pain to set up, once they're set up and you don't change string gauges or tunings they are more stable tuning-wise than just about any option out there. To each their own, but all my guitars are set up for floating and I love it.
Basically this. The only thing that really makes me groan about Floyds is intonation.

Strobe

Reaction score
I hate setting them up but the floyd on my loomis was crazy stable. NEVER went put of tune.

Same on my Jackson RR24. It was my first floyd rose, and the first time I changed tuning and string gauges it took me an hour and a half to figure out what I was doing. That said - now the only reason I have to tune it is changing strings.

Also: :lol: at the tags

Bigfan

sixstringer
Reaction score
Ok, I just timed changing tuning from drop D to E standard on my Charvel. 2 minutes, 10 seconds. That includes fine-tuning , adjusting spring tension and locking/unlocking nut.

haters_gonna_hate.gif

purpledc

Proud blacksheep
Reaction score
I have to agree that if you know how to operate a floyd they are one of the best trems available.

Latest posts

')