Flubby/Loose strings?

kazE

Reaction score
Ok so I'm using a Schecter Blackjack C1 ATX FR. I play a lot of metal and lately I've been having difficulty playing some certain rhythms, stuff like successive triples etc. My low string seems a little loose/flubby to get that type of quick, clean result.

I'm tuned to drop C. I got 32-42-56 on my lower strings because I thought they'd be tight enough. Is there something I'm not doing to fix this? Is my technique really THAT bad?

Just looking for some clarification, thanks.

(sorry if this is in the wrong section)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Efekkt

NOTHING
Reaction score
I've just adapted my picking to noodle strings, I don't like em too thick and tight. I just use a regular .11 set in drop b on my ibby with a ZR trem.

Maybe try a 58 or 60 and get it set up or something. Some people use what I would consider a ridiculous gauge but if it works for you then go for it.

TheSixthWheel

bangetzit
Reaction score
Get a longer scale guitar, or get thicker strings. That's all you can do.

try increasing the spring tension, on my s7320 that worked like a charm :yesway:

By increasing spring tension, you also need to increase the string tension, otherwise you raise pitch. The OP said he tunes to Drop C. By increasing spring tension, you will raise the tension of the strings and therefore increase the pitch. So in this particular case, increasing spring tension will achieve nothing.

HamBungler

Lord Zorgatron
Reaction score
I've used 10-52s for drop C and that was plenty of tension, 56 was bordering on the ridiculous. Its possible you got a dud string. Try the same gauge but find a brand that has some more tension, some brands will have a different amount of tension for the same gauge string sometimes.

All_¥our_Bass

Deathly Chuuni
Reaction score
You could just keep upping the gauge on your lowest/two lowest strings until you're happy.

When it comes to the low strings on guitars I'm a total tension fiend.
I use a 65 for C!! :D
And a 100 for low F. :evil:

g93

still can't play 6!
Reaction score
I've used 10-52s for drop C and that was plenty of tension, 56 was bordering on the ridiculous. Its possible you got a dud string. Try the same gauge but find a brand that has some more tension, some brands will have a different amount of tension for the same gauge string sometimes.

This. 56 would be too tight for me. I like the 52's I've got just fine.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Just try different gauges until you find the one that works for you

kazE

Reaction score
Hmmm thanks for the recommendations.

I was using an Elixer single .56 What would be another good brand to try? I was thinking D'Addario.

Efekkt

NOTHING
Reaction score
Hmmm thanks for the recommendations.

I was using an Elixer single .56 What would be another good brand to try? I was thinking D'Addario.

You can't go wrong with D'Addarios. DR also make good strings too. Just buy some different brands and see what you like but I don't know how you couldn't like either of the two I mentioned.

kazE

Reaction score
Quick question to add, D'Addario has two types of single strings available I was looking at; regular nickel-wound and chrome flat-wound. The chromes are a little more expensive and that's not an issue, my question is are they any better than the standard? Would they suit my setup and music?

troyguitar

Reaction score
Quick question to add, D'Addario has two types of single strings available I was looking at; regular nickel-wound and chrome flat-wound. The chromes are a little more expensive and that's not an issue, my question is are they any better than the standard? Would they suit my setup and music?

Flat-wound guitar strings are used almost exclusively by jazz players. You probably don't want them, especially as a single string next to regular round-wound strings.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
I think this may be an issue of technique/being used to a certain setup or whatever. After all, didnt Dino use .052 for a low B in the earlier fear factory stuff?

I myself prefer the sound and feel of large strings, but thats just me, and will tell you to get a 60 or so for your low string. But i think its perfectly possible to play cleanly and whatnot with a .052 or .054.

')