FNG here: Need SS.org advice on builders/luthiers

• Thread starter Steinmetzify
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Steinmetzify

CHUG & SLUDGE
Reaction score
So I've been lurking around here for awhile...joined last year finally and have been enjoying reviews and NGDs and stuff. I play riff heavy stuff, southern groove metal, and some occasional prog stuff, mostly straight into a 6505+ and an Orange 2x12...every once in a awhile I'll throw a pedal or two in, but not often.

Had a custom LP built for me last year because I couldn't find one I liked. Check it:

ginger6_zps4ab00342.jpg

DSC_2535_zps5d3d8af5.jpg

ginger17_zpsc4f9f2c7.jpg

This thing is sick...BKP Holydivers, gold MOP inlays, ebony board and black binding, Sperzels and TonePros. Love it. BUT! After hanging around here for a while, I'm now jonesing for something super thin and shreddy, ala Blackmachine or Black Water...talk to Khoi every once in a while over on RigTalk and saw his Black Water 7, and that thing destroys....so I'm in the market...he gave me a glowing report on the build.

I've done some research on various guys, but every time I come here there's someone else.....wanna make sure I'm covering all the bases for this one.

So far I've got:

Black Water
Mercer
Skervesen
.........(interesting...this guy banned for some reason here?)
Sabre(maybe, their stuff doesn't grab me the way the above guys' builds do, but the reviews are great)

Anyone else I should be looking at? Keep in mind I'm looking for thin, light bolt-ons like this one:

Fakemachine_zps8d2ff2d7.jpg

Lifted this from a NGD on the main page...if this is in poor taste then please let me know and I'll remove it; not sure of the rules here yet, I just think it's so damn cool and illustrates very well what I'm looking for.

Anyway, figured I'd hit you guys up for advice rather than run rampant all over the internet hoping to bump into something cool.....you cats have your fingers on the pulse of new shit around here, it seems like.

Thanks for any replies, and thoughts in this matter.

Scott

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Electric Wizard

it's my first day
Reaction score
Siggery is the other big name in BM-styled guitars.

RAN is evidently going to start making flat topped crushers as well, which is in the same vein.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you're happy with that custom LP-style guitar, why not go with the same builder?

TheDepthsWillRise

Reaction score
I've been talking to Aaron at Blackwater about a build, and he said his wait was about 11-12 months, but honestly from what I've seen and from talking to him, I think it's gonna be worth the wait.

Steinmetzify

CHUG & SLUDGE
Reaction score
I've been talking to Aaron at Blackwater about a build, and he said his wait was about 11-12 months, but honestly from what I've seen and from talking to him, I think it's gonna be worth the wait.

That kind of blows...don't really want to wait that long and he was pretty much my first choice. Good on him for doing stellar enough work that his wait times have gone up like that.
Thanks for the info though, and good luck with your build!

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
You're going to have some wait time with any reputable luthier, sadly, especially since the kind of guitar you want is in demand these days, as the BM-like market has been soaring this last year. Skervesen might be your best bet related to that side of the problem.

Polythoral

Hipster Mustaine
Reaction score
Would suggest Skervesen as well. Haven't played one but they're affordable, have a quick turnaround, and do stuff similar to what you're looking for.

Latest posts

')