For headphones only............

• Thread starter JCNY
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JCNY

Reaction score
Kind of a spin off from the other pod xt thread here. I'd like to get a unit that I can run my headphones with for practice and recording direct. This unit will not be used in front of an amp. I've owned the POD XT I'm just bored with the POD sound although I have not used one with the effect and amp upgrades now available.( any input appreciated). So. I'm looking at the Boss GT8 or the GNX4 (8 track would be nice as a scratch pad and I believe it has a drum machine as well). The only thing is I'm concerned the digital sound might be to much through headphones. Especially the ultragain shit. :spock:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

No Soul

bringer of mosh
Reaction score
all I can tell you is the GNX stuff sounds really good on paper, but thats about it. Its pretty overated.

If you want simple stuff for headphone use, check out a Pandoras box.

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
No Soul said:
all I can tell you is the GNX stuff sounds really good on paper, but thats about it. Its pretty overated.

If you want simple stuff for headphone use, check out a Pandoras box.

I have no clue about the GNX stuff being 'overrated' or not, but as a GNX3 owner, I disagree with this. I think it sounds great, and it's very, very versatile. I've played Vox Tonelab, Boss GT series, Vetta, POD, etc. The GNX stuff sounds about like most of these modelers... pretty decent. But you can make it sound like shit if you try, so bear that in mind. And stock presets, as most always, aren't the best. The GNX seems more suited for tweakers.

I'd say, to be honest, either GT-8 or GNX would be fine. The GNX has the caveat of the 8-track, though, like you said. As for 'digital sounding', eh, I'VE never noticed that. Played at my studio cranked through the PA, or through my laptop with headphones, it sounds like a mic'd amp blasting. Ask Chris, shit, he knows, too. I mean, really, these things don't sound exactly like a tube amp... or rather, they don't have all of that that tube 'feel' (depending on settings and setup, though, they get some to alot of it. Depends), but head-to-head, it's really not an issue.

It just ALL depends on your settings. ;)

AS an aside, the Pandora PX4 is awesome. Very small (You can attach it to your strap) and it sounds good. Has a recorder, too.

JCNY

Reaction score
Alright cool...... thanks. :yesway: Theres an online shop with a 45 day trail period, I'll have to give the GNX4 ago. I remember Chris saying he liked the 3 as well. :metal:

Jason

Forum MVP
Reaction score
i have the boss gt-6 and the trick with those is using the dedicated eq and sometimes even the 2nd eq as well.

')