For HEAVY/Prog drums.....addictive or ez drummer w dkfh expansion?

• Thread starter XxXPete
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

XxXPete

Reaction score
Hey guys..Looking to get a cool drum software to record some tuneage with. Kinda in the SHUGGAH/DT/shred vein. Would you reccomend Addictive Drums, or EZ DRUMMER w DKFH EXP pack? Any reviews, ideas are greatly appreciated!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SymmetricScars

Reaction score
Addictive Drums sound a lot more natural to my ear, and they do metal fairly well. I've heard people get great sounds out of EZD w/ DFH as well, but I could never do it myself.

If you were talking about dfhs or s2.0, i'd say go that way, but personally between ezd and AD I like the addictive drums much more, even though theyre not as "metal."

Most people would probably recommend DFH stuff for meshug sounding stuff.

XxXPete

Reaction score
Addictive Drums sound a lot more natural to my ear, and they do metal fairly well. I've heard people get great sounds out of EZD w/ DFH as well, but I could never do it myself.

If you were talking about dfhs or s2.0, i'd say go that way, but personally between ezd and AD I like the addictive drums much more, even though theyre not as "metal."

Most people would probably recommend DFH stuff for meshug sounding stuff.
Cool.....another option would be to accumulate some drum samples and do my own stuff in fruity Loops!

Dylan S

Reaction score
I think EZdrummer with DKFH add on can definitely sound good in certain contexts, but I find a lot of the time the kicks and snares sound very thin. I just recently got myself Addictive Drums after using EZdrummer for a very long time, and I think it sounds a lot more full and natural sounding, for my particular type of sound, but you can get great results with both if you work on it.

Addictive Drums makes things a little easier because you have EQ's and stuff like that in the program itself to give you a starting sound, and you can make presets and share them with people, which helps you get started on good sounds quicker, whereas with EZdrummer, all of that has to be done in your recording program.

IconW

Reaction score
Addictive drums is very good. It got natural sound and I would recommend it for more rock/pop or good old-school deathmetal. I've found It works for black metal too. If youre more in to for modern chugga-chugga-djentdjent-crystal-clear-shit-stuff (like me nowadays/part-time) I would advice you get Superior drummer 2.0. It's not perfect, but in right hands it sounds good.
Both programs are good IMO.

I used Ezdrummer some time ago and I didn't like it. So if you try to deicide between AD and Ez I recommend you to get AD.

Dylan S

Reaction score
If you want to hear EZdrummer in a more modern metal context, check out my thread on the first page.

I've only had one listen for some reason, but it's the first time I used AD and it sounds way better than any of my other EZdrummer stuff.

I've fixed a few issues with the mix that I'll update soon too.

Metalman X

The Resplendent Sub-Human
Reaction score
I've had great results using a combo of the two.

Like, I use the loops from DKFH mostly as my starting point, and will edit them from there. From a metal stand point, DKFH has much more to work with out of the box.

however, I love the sound of Addictive Drums, and the tweakability as well.

So, what works for me is I do alll my initial tracking in Ableton Live 7. I'll have DKFH running on one channel, and AD on another. Once I've made my drum arrangement in DKFH, I consolidate the MIDI track, than feed it into a MIDI Mapping program (this takes all of 5 seconds, really), and convert it to AD MIDI. Now...heres where it gets tricky....AD doesnt allow for as many cymbals as DKFH, thus some of your cymbal work will be compromised or gone completey. Don't fret! What I do, is I than run AD just for my shell kit (bass, snare, and toms) and turn off the cymbals. I than do the reverse for DKFH. So than I have one MIDI track doing my cymbal work, and one doing the rest of the kit, thus getting the best of both programs!

Sounds alot trickier and more complicated than it really is...but this is working really well for me. I gotta say, making the move from DKFH to AD really opened up my mixes, and added some nice punch and power in the rhythm section that I felt EZD was lacking. EZD/DKFH is almost TOO clean and precise sounding. I don't really play the uber-technical type of metal thats so common these days (more of a mix of german thrash, early 90's american death metal, black metal, and ambient gothic/doom type stuff. Hell, theres even some industrial going on at times....I'm kinda weird), so that wasn't really jiving w/ my mixes overall mojo. This, will of course vary from artist to artist. Just be creative, and don't be afraid to do unconventional stuff to get what you need.

XxXPete

Reaction score
I've had great results using a combo of the two.

Like, I use the loops from DKFH mostly as my starting point, and will edit them from there. From a metal stand point, DKFH has much more to work with out of the box.

however, I love the sound of Addictive Drums, and the tweakability as well.

So, what works for me is I do alll my initial tracking in Ableton Live 7. I'll have DKFH running on one channel, and AD on another. Once I've made my drum arrangement in DKFH, I consolidate the MIDI track, than feed it into a MIDI Mapping program (this takes all of 5 seconds, really), and convert it to AD MIDI. Now...heres where it gets tricky....AD doesnt allow for as many cymbals as DKFH, thus some of your cymbal work will be compromised or gone completey. Don't fret! What I do, is I than run AD just for my shell kit (bass, snare, and toms) and turn off the cymbals. I than do the reverse for DKFH. So than I have one MIDI track doing my cymbal work, and one doing the rest of the kit, thus getting the best of both programs!

Sounds alot trickier and more complicated than it really is...but this is working really well for me. I gotta say, making the move from DKFH to AD really opened up my mixes, and added some nice punch and power in the rhythm section that I felt EZD was lacking. EZD/DKFH is almost TOO clean and precise sounding. I don't really play the uber-technical type of metal thats so common these days (more of a mix of german thrash, early 90's american death metal, black metal, and ambient gothic/doom type stuff. Hell, theres even some industrial going on at times....I'm kinda weird), so that wasn't really jiving w/ my mixes overall mojo. This, will of course vary from artist to artist. Just be creative, and don't be afraid to do unconventional stuff to get what you need.
Cool man..another option to look into. In reality its not bad...GC has AD for $200 now.

Metalman X

The Resplendent Sub-Human
Reaction score
Cool man..another option to look into. In reality its not bad...GC has AD for $200 now.

totally worth the $$$ IMO. Plus the XLN boards got tons of info and downloadable user kits that are actually really good.

I just love the fact that I can do things like adjust individual compression, EQ, etc. for each seperate peice of the kit in realtime. It makes ALL the difference, and the sonic possibilities are endless. You could do this EZD as well...BUT you'd have to bounce each peice of the kit down to it's own channel on your DAW for individual editing....not impossible, or all that difficult even, but time consuming. VERY time consuming.

Steven Slate Drums LE is available for cheap too...under $200. And that sounds great as well. It's got alot of pre-packaged kits/production styles. I never used it personally, but from what I've read, it's a little more 'instant gratification' in that regard, than the others. But AD is just so good, and tweakable, that it killed my GAS for the Slate drums.

rahul_mukerji

Reaction score
I prefer Addictive Drums. I tried EZD and Addictive and found the AD sound to be more "live" and full sounding. The EQ on those things are great and I love how you can tweak it. I couldn't do the same on the EZD.

Also, there are lots of MIDI loops you can buy for "Metal" style drums and plug them into AD.

nakedpotato

Reaction score
I'd recommend AD for better kick drum and cymbals, and it's much easier to use,
but you'll have to use another sample for the snare.... or it's just me.

rectifryer

Banned
Reaction score
totally worth the $$$ IMO. Plus the XLN boards got tons of info and downloadable user kits that are actually really good.

I just love the fact that I can do things like adjust individual compression, EQ, etc. for each seperate peice of the kit in realtime. It makes ALL the difference, and the sonic possibilities are endless. You could do this EZD as well...BUT you'd have to bounce each peice of the kit down to it's own channel on your DAW for individual editing....not impossible, or all that difficult even, but time consuming. VERY time consuming.

Thats not very time consuming AT ALL in fruity loops.:agreed:

Just thought I would pass that on. I use the FL with DFH 2 and I love it. I am sure there is much better out there, though.

')