Forgotten NGD?! Carvin HF2 KOA content! (it's a FATBOY!)

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
I picked this up a short while ago, had some work done to it and then forgot to post an NGD thread about it! :rofl: So yeah, I scored this Carvin Holdsworth HF2 Fatboy because a couple years back one day I was at Misha's apartment and as we were cycling through the rack-o'-guitars he handed me his ruby red HF2 FB and it blew my mind how amazingly well it played and how great it sounded. Thinking it must have been a fluke I vowed to someday find another one to try and see if it was just his that had the magic, but it appears that maybe it's just the way they build them because this one is several years old but it is just as fantastic!

I kicked it up a notch by having Phil Jacoby (Philtone is the SHIT btw, if you're near Baltimore and need tech work done the dude is amazing, and I've had him PLEK a few guitars too - fretwork is top notch!) jam two 3-way DPDT on/off/on toggles, route for two more pots and a new DiMarzio metal 3-way (like the MM JP models get minus the PCB) so I could wire up a set of Seymour Duncan P-Rails! VERY versatile guitar now, even moreso than it was stock! Enough chit-chat, on to the pics of "The Fat Hawaiian"! :wub:

Carvin_Koa_HF2_Fatboy_1.jpg

Carvin_Koa_HF2_Fatboy_2.jpg

Carvin_Koa_HF2_Fatboy_3.jpg

Carvin_Koa_HF2_Fatboy_4.jpg

Carvin_Koa_HF2_Fatboy_5.jpg

Carvin_Koa_HF2_Fatboy_6.jpg

Carvin_Koa_HF2_Fatboy_7.jpg

Carvin_Koa_HF2_Fatboy_8.jpg

Carvin_Koa_HF2_Fatboy_9.jpg

Carvin_Koa_HF2_Fatboy_10.jpg

Carvin_Koa_HF2_Fatboy_11.jpg

Carvin_Koa_HF2_Fatboy_12.jpg

Carvin_Koa_HF2_Fatboy_13.jpg

Carvin_Koa_HF2_Fatboy_14.jpg

Carvin_Koa_HF2_Fatboy_15.jpg

Carvin_Koa_HF2_Fatboy_16.jpg

Carvin_Koa_HF2_Fatboy_17.jpg

Carvin_Koa_HF2_Fatboy_18.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
:yum:

That requires rosewood knobs :agreed:

Also I am heartily pissed that you will probably end up moving this before I have money to buy it from you :rofl: :wub:

caskettheclown

Sexytime!
Reaction score
That is a real guitar players guitar!

That guitar just looks beautiful.

If you don't take good care of it, we might find you :p

Adam Of Angels

The GAS Man
Reaction score
I recently had one of these in my possession, although it was solid Walnut with a maple cap, and it was absolutely amazing. The acoustic tone of the thing was just spot on and fantastic.

Mukersman

Reaction score
Beautiful top! Can you explain the three strap buttons though? I never really understood that.

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm curious, why does it play so great in your opinion?

Koa looks so good :D

The radius might be part of it but it plays really fast and very evenly across the board. Harmonics scream out of this guitar in all positions and there are no dead spots on the fretboard (which is a little surprising for a Carvin IMO :lol:). The neck is a little thicker than my other guitars but it is not uncomfortable. :yesway:

:yum:

That requires rosewood knobs :agreed:

Also I am heartily pissed that you will probably end up moving this before I have money to buy it from you :rofl: :wub:

Yeah honestly the only thing I was considering letting this go for was that Private Stock Sevenstringer was selling but that sold on eBay before I could raise the funds so no reason to move this now! :rofl: :D

Beautiful top! Can you explain the three strap buttons though? I never really understood that.

Yeah I don't know for sure but I've heard on the Tom Anderson stuff (since they do it too) it was so you could stand the guitar up without using a guitar stand, and I guess since the bottom is cut the way it is it sits lopsided on guitar stands so maybe that's why? :scratch: No major benefit other than adjusting the strap position but as you can see the stock neck button goes behind the heel of the neck and I moved that to a more standard position so it wouldn't hang awkwardly anymore. ;)

Reaction score
Congrats, man. I remember seeing in an interview with Holdsworth that the headstock is smaller because it helps with intonation somehow, which seems apocryphal.

ShadyDavey

7ibrarian
Reaction score
Busted a nut.

Wanted one for ages (With a Yamaha DG-80 112!!) but I'll satisfy my love for them vicariously through your pictures - congratulations dude :)

mhickman2

The Abiding Dude
Reaction score
Agree with techno. Rosewood knobs and pup rings would set off. This thing looks fantastic!

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
looks fucking amazing. how would you describe the sound of the P-Rails?

Personally right now I'd say I'm preferring the tone of the bridge set to "humbucker" and the neck as a "P90". The single-coil rail position is good, not quite as quack-ey as a strat but it does thin it out enough to be more convincing than a humbucker normally would. The P-90 mode is pretty sweet, thicker than the single but not quite as hot as the humbucker. Humbucker mode is super-ballsy (I bought the "hot" version of the P-Rail bridge) and works very well with higher gain without getting muddy. Overall very pleased with the swap! The neck pickup didn't sound QUITE as nice as Misha's did but when I yanked the pickups it turns out the previous owner(s) had swapped out the Holdsworth pickups and put a set of the C22s in there. :noway:

TimothyLeary

Tune in, Drop out
Reaction score
i love this guitar! congrats, she's gorgeous. But I always question myself if they are heavy?

')