Forgotten NGD?! Carvin HF2 KOA content! (it's a FATBOY!)

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
Actually I'd disagree with you there. Between my guitar and Bulb's guitar they actually sound REMARKABLY similar. I'd attribute this much more significantly to the neck, and to a lesser degree the body, but absolutely not the top. The tops on these guitars are actually fairly thin and since it is hollowed out inside you're looking at way less influence on the tone than the solid wood of the neck and I-beams and the body wood has a greater surface area than the top does as it covers both the back and the extra thick sides. :yesway:

Aaahh ok, interesting! That seems to make sense; I hadn't thought of it that way. Thanks for the information! :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
whats the word on those p-rails?

Personally right now I'd say I'm preferring the tone of the bridge set to "humbucker" and the neck as a "P90". The single-coil rail position is good, not quite as quack-ey as a strat but it does thin it out enough to be more convincing than a humbucker normally would. The P-90 mode is pretty sweet, thicker than the single but not quite as hot as the humbucker. Humbucker mode is super-ballsy (I bought the "hot" version of the P-Rail bridge) and works very well with higher gain without getting muddy. Overall very pleased with the swap! The neck pickup didn't sound QUITE as nice as Misha's did but when I yanked the pickups it turns out the previous owner(s) had swapped out the Holdsworth pickups and put a set of the C22s in there. :noway:

:yesway:

Jason Spell

Reaction score
Sorry to necrobump, but I just saw this thread for the first time.

This guitar was mine before Matt bought it directly from me. I sold it in a fit of Parker gas. I made out really well on a couple of flips resulting from that, but I was sad as a player to see this Fatboy go.

I really missed this guitar, so I found another Holdsworth - an H2T that I pulled the trigger on a couple of days ago. I hope I dig it. I talked to Matt awhile back and he told me he sold the guitar, so if the person that bought it from Matt sees this, message me and let me know how she's doing. :)

yellowv

Turd Ferguson
Contributor
Reaction score
Coming into a NGD thread started by Matt over 6 months ago :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Matt's never kept a guitar that long. :agreed:

Jason Spell

Reaction score
LOL. I know the feeling!

I was just searching "Carvin" in the forum, and I saw this thread, with a big pic of her in all her Koa glory, yet with those Duncans and new electronics. It's a cool job; I'm sure she sounds great with them.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Coming into a NGD thread started by Matt over 6 months ago :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Matt's never kept a guitar that long. :agreed:

That's actually not true. Matt has several guitars that have been with him for a long time, he just tends to buy and sell production stuff... He's also gotten a couple of things recently that if he decides to flip are going to make my credit card cry... but I'll wait until he posts a NGD :lol:

yellowv

Turd Ferguson
Contributor
Reaction score
That's actually not true. Matt has several guitars that have been with him for a long time, he just tends to buy and sell production stuff... He's also gotten a couple of things recently that if he decides to flip are going to make my credit card cry :lol:

I know I was just giving him shit. Were all gear whores. :lol: He already sold one of those PRS's.

Jason Spell

Reaction score
The neck pickup didn't sound QUITE as nice as Misha's did but when I yanked the pickups it turns out the previous owner(s) had swapped out the Holdsworth pickups and put a set of the C22s in there. :noway:

Weird. That honestly pissed me off a bit, because the guy I bought it from told me they were the Holdsworth pickups.

yellowv

Turd Ferguson
Contributor
Reaction score
He sells everything to pay for more Thorns. Dude is the world largest Thorn whore :wub:

Church2224

Guitar Whore
Reaction score
He sells everything to pay for more Thorns. Dude is the world largest Thorn whore :wub:

Having played one of his...I can understand why :lol:

I got the same issue with ESPs, and you got it with Music Man guitars. Gear whoring is a problem we all "suffer" through

yellowv

Turd Ferguson
Contributor
Reaction score
Having played one of his...I can understand why :lol:

I got the same issue with ESPs, and you got it with Music Man guitars. Gear whoring is a problem we all "suffer" through

You don't have to tell me. a couple of days after getting the Alexi I already have a real ESP on the way. I hope it doesn't start again :lol:

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry to necrobump, but I just saw this thread for the first time.

This guitar was mine before Matt bought it directly from me. I sold it in a fit of Parker gas. I made out really well on a couple of flips resulting from that, but I was sad as a player to see this Fatboy go.

I really missed this guitar, so I found another Holdsworth - an H2T that I pulled the trigger on a couple of days ago. I hope I dig it. I talked to Matt awhile back and he told me he sold the guitar, so if the person that bought it from Matt sees this, message me and let me know how she's doing. :)

Ahhh one necrobumped thread that actually isn't a bad one! :lol: This is Jason S., right? If so, shoot me an email, the current owner pinged me a while back saying he was looking to sell and wanted to use my pictures (seems to happen a lot :rofl:) to sell it and I said no so I think he still has it since I haven't seen it on eBay yet. ;) If you want I can ping him and if he still has it I can put you two in touch to work something out. :yesway:

That's actually not true. Matt has several guitars that have been with him for a long time, he just tends to buy and sell production stuff... He's also gotten a couple of things recently that if he decides to flip are going to make my credit card cry... but I'll wait until he posts a NGD :lol:

Haha yeah the production stuff is always iffy (although that 513 RW is likely not going anywhere now that I have the height adjusted on the middle pickup! :wub:) but I've had several of my Thorns for quite a few years. :D That semi-recent German piece is likely to hang around as well, again... QUITE custom. ;)

Indeed... but I also know what he sold it to pay for, he definitely made the right call :D

Yarp, and I'll be posting an NGD thread for that in the next few weeks as soon as he wraps up the build and sends it my way, can't wait! :D

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That semi-recent German piece is likely to hang around as well, again... QUITE custom. ;)

That is the one that threatens my credit card, so keep it :lol: You need to get some good pics of that up too (we need a smiley tapping it's foot impatiently and checking a watch ;))

Well that and the one that should be done in about a week...

yellowv

Turd Ferguson
Contributor
Reaction score
What is this German piece you speak of? Don't think I've seen that one.

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
That is the one that threatens my credit card, so keep it :lol: You need to get some good pics of that up too (we need a smiley tapping it's foot impatiently and checking a watch ;))

Well that and the one that should be done in about a week...

Yeah and OF COURSE it's cloudy, rainy and storming as far as Wednesday this week down here! :lol: NOT ideal picture-taking weather. I'd rather wait for a good sunny day to take some quality pictures than rush it, but they're coming, don't worry! ;) Maybe I'll do both at the same time once Goldie arrives. :wub:

What is this German piece you speak of? Don't think I've seen that one.

Haha you might have missed it, but I posted the pics on my FB page a while back... when I needed... a hug. ;) ;) ;) :rofl:

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
Matt, thanks for the tip. I sent you a private message here.

Cool, sent you his email. :yesway: Good luck dude, that was a great-playing, killer-sounding Carvin! :agreed: Definitely one of the best I've owned, there are a few Carvins I would love to have back and that one would be one of them, too many guitars and not enough cash! :rofl:

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah and OF COURSE it's cloudy, rainy and storming as far as Wednesday this week down here! :lol: NOT ideal picture-taking weather. I'd rather wait for a good sunny day to take some quality pictures than rush it, but they're coming, don't worry! ;) Maybe I'll do both at the same time once Goldie arrives. :wub:

Shame I can't send you some of our weather, it's been warm and sunny here for days :lol:

')