Formula One thread

• Thread starter TheDuatAwaits
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

will_shred

Wannabe audio engineer
Reaction score
Can anyone offer thoughts on the 2014 rule changes? or the prospect of Kimi getting on board with Red Bull?

I've only been watching for about 3 months, I've still got so much to learn. however the more I learn about the sport the more fascinated I become with it.

Kimi is probably my favorite driver, however I feel like if he went over to RB it wouldn't even be fair. I mean... a Kimi+Vettel Red Bull team? That would be freaking unstoppable IMHO.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

F1Filter

Contributor
Reaction score
Kimi wont be going to Red Bull unless he gets paid absurd amounts of money.

Have to face the facts. Red Bull will always be Vettel's team until he either leaves or retires. Surely no one is naive enough to believe that both drivers are getting equal treatment on that team? I can only wait until Webber is fully out of Formula One when the real "truth" about the intra-team dynamics comes out.

If you're new to the sport or arent in the know about it's history. Have a look at what's happened with a team that's had two primary drivers (IE: Prost/Senna, Villeneuve/Pironi, etc.), it very rarely, if ever, ends well.

Re: 2014 rules. While I thought the last "turbo era" back in the 80's produced some very exciting outcomes. The problem this time around is that there's actual usage restrictions on equipment. So, not really sure if things are going to be as exciting.

EDIT: Mark Webber on Top Gear UK for those who havent seen it yet. You can tell he's really trying hard not to say anything badly about Vettel. :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0sE_MLNG1s

Last edited:

777timesgod

Officially the unofficial Forum Censor
Reaction score
No need to wait until Webber retires, he already said once about himself : "Not bad for a No2 driver" when he got the pole position or the win in a race.

texshred777

Reaction score
I'm a new fan of F1.

I don't know much of anything about the drivers(apart from what I see on Top Gear when they're guests), teams, or any of that. At this point I'm still trying to learn the rules and finer points of the sport.

Hopefully I can make it to the US Grand Prix coming up here soon.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
New 2015 Cars!

Force India VJM08 (but not the final car):

forceindia_main.png

Williams FW37:

williams-fw37-2015-formula-one-car_100497903_m.jpg

Lotus E23:

ImageGen.ashx

The McLaren-Honda MP4-30 launches on Thursday. Ferrari's SF15-T will launch on Friday. Torro Rosso's STR10 to launch on Saturday. Mercedes launch the W06 on Sunday. RB11 and Sauber C34 presumably will launch on Sunday, as well, while the actual VJM08 will wait until February 19th.

F1Filter

Contributor
Reaction score
I cant believe pre-season testing is already starting next week! :eek:

Rashputin

Reaction score
The front wing on that Force India car looks complicated! I think it's surprising how each car varies so much from year to year. You'd think once they had cracked the "aerodynamic code" that all cars would look quite similar.

Anyway, I'm a huge F1 fan. Ive been watching since the late nineties nineties and been to races. I miss the screaming V10s, refueling strategies and no DRS/ERS. Pushing a button to pass a driver who cant push the same button just isnt racing to me. They need to bring the '04/'05 regulations back. They won't though..but they should. Experiencing the awesome sound of the screaming 1000hp 20.000rpm V10s racing by at 350kmt is one of the most amazing things Ive witnessed. The ground shook for miles.

F1Filter

Contributor
Reaction score
IMHO part of the problem right now, is that the FIA just got the engine formula wrong. Way too conservative on the fuel flow restrictions. None of the engines were anywhere near their RPM limits this past season.

Because until a new turbo engine like this

Screen-Shot-2015-01-03-at-17.17.00-e1420305692651.png

Can put out an exhaust like this

joha_ferr_monte_1985_schleg.jpg

They're going to continue to draw the ire of the fans and promoters. Turbos are supposed to be loud, obnoxious fire-breathing 980+BHP monsters. Not something that sounds like an Oreck cleaner.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
The front wing on that Force India car looks complicated! I think it's surprising how each car varies so much from year to year. You'd think once they had cracked the "aerodynamic code" that all cars would look quite similar.

Anyway, I'm a huge F1 fan. Ive been watching since the late nineties nineties and been to races. I miss the screaming V10s, refueling strategies and no DRS/ERS. Pushing a button to pass a driver who cant push the same button just isnt racing to me. They need to bring the '04/'05 regulations back. They won't though..but they should. Experiencing the awesome sound of the screaming 1000hp 20.000rpm V10s racing by at 350kmt is one of the most amazing things Ive witnessed. The ground shook for miles.

I did not notice how complicated that front wing was! Might just be for show, considering it's not the final car. Or an extra high downforce configuration...

I believe there is an IP issue with aerodynamics. It was discussed a lot when McLaren introduced their new front wing designed by a former Red Bull employee, where the wings were essentially identical.

I have to disagree with you. While I get part of "the pinnacle of motorsport" should be making the fastest cars possible, that can be pretty wasteful. Just based on the louder cars back then, that's literally wasted energy. Refuelling is a bit too explosive for me, personally.

On speed, look at Interlagos this year. Rosberg's Q3 time was 0.2 seconds off the lap record in the F2004. If Massa had have been in the W05, he might have beaten it. And we we're seeing faster times than last year by the end of the season, with less fuel. Mercedes, for example, have found at least an extra 50bhp for next season. They're getting faster.

On DRS/ERS/KERS; KERS didn't do that, because everyone had the same amount on every lap and could deploy it when they felt like it. ERS now just goes through the throttle, like a normal hybrid, and there's no button for it. DRS, you have a point, but you have to be within 1 second on certain parts of the track and even then it's not guaranteed. I think I can forgive it in a sport that's infamous for it's lack of overtaking (not that you'd know watching 2014). And I just can't call opening a flap to reduce drag "push to pass" when IndyCar has an "overtake" button that gives 100bhp.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
Also, contrary to the prevailing opinion, I don't find the 20,000rpm sound that appealing in a car. And if the Audi R18's diesel can rev to 6,000rpm and get to 200mph on diesel, I don't see much point in 20,000rpm petrol engines.

The noise is a by product of primitive engine design, to me.

Rashputin

Reaction score
Also, contrary to the prevailing opinion, I don't find the 20,000rpm sound that appealing in a car. And if the Audi R18's diesel can rev to 6,000rpm and get to 200mph on diesel, I don't see much point in 20,000rpm petrol engines.

The noise is a by product of primitive engine design, to me.

We'll have to agree to disagree on most of this Steven : )

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That Lotus is *such* a 'shop. I wonder if the actual car is done yet, given last year's cock-up.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
Ferrari SF15-T:

ferrari-sf15t-2015-3-886x475.jpg

Sauber C34:

sauber-c34-11-886x502.jpg

I like the blue, the nose is terrible and they seem to be down on sponsors.

setsuna7

Poor Gearwhore
Reaction score
I agree with Rash, I've been following F1since I was a kid,the early nineties, the 04/05 was the best season, the rule changes was basically FIA attemp to reduce the Ferraris' monopoly, which should be the other way round. The other teams has to catch up with winning team. Whats the point of racing if you are to be shackled once you're winning. I get that it's for the best interest of the sport, but they are suppressing progress, just like now, V6?? You gotta be kidding me? Ayrton must be squirming in his grave right now. Of all the rule changes that I like is the new Qualifying format. Other that than are shite. Those pit stops and fuel strategy are what made is awesome, remember when Kimi was on fire in Singapore? How ice cool he was? I miss those hectic haywire pitstop. BTW, the noses on the Ferarri and Sauber looked like dildos..

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I guess I'm in the minority, but I enjoyed the late '70s-early '80s era of pit-stop-less F1 better. Not having fuel stops has made it better, but the real sadness is that there are only 2-3 competitive teams a year.

Of course, everything was a lot rawer back then...

')