Formula One thread

• Thread starter TheDuatAwaits
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
In the turbo hybrid era Hamilton has won every pole and race that has been affected by rain, except Hungary 2014 (pitlane to 3rd), USA 2015 (qualified 2nd, won the race) and Britain 2014 (qualified 6th, won the race).

r33per

Reaction score
In the turbo hybrid era Hamilton has won every pole and race that has been affected by rain, except Hungary 2014 (pitlane to 3rd), USA 2015 (qualified 2nd, won the race) and Britain 2014 (qualified 6th, won the race).
Oh i do like F1 facts...

You tease, you!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

r33per

Reaction score
Yeah! Well, not a dramatic race (apart from VB at the end...) but great for TeamLH. Here's to a good break and to Force India sorting it out. No-one wants an 18 car grid.

I remember the mid-90s where at the end of the season a driver would have points on the board from three different teams and drivers actually didn't get to race if their qually time was rubbish because there was 26 cars allowed on the grid...

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
I remember the mid-90s where at the end of the season a driver would have points on the board from three different teams and drivers actually didn't get to race if their qually time was rubbish because there was 26 cars allowed on the grid...
This to me is a strange piece of nostalgia. Sure, back then we had 26 cars starting the race, but we didn't have many finishing the race. What, 3 cars retired this weekend? That's 17 cars racing for 305km, compared to about 12 or 13 in 1992.

Secondly, the 107% rule. Have you ever watched any of those 80s race replays where Mansell and Piquet are fighting the whole way while lapping up to 3rd place? With the exception of Williams (ironically for my point) we have one of the most competitive grids in years. Maybe the top 6 positions are locked in, but the next 4 points paying positions could reasonably go to any of 12 drivers.

Following on from that, the past few years has been the best grid of drivers probably ever. And within that tight, high quality lineup the drivers are still able to make the difference. Look at LeClerc and Magnussen compared to their teammates, or Vettel and Hamilton at the sharper end of the grid.

Finally, who else deserves a seat in F1? Buemi is the fastest man not in an F1 car, Giovinazzi will hopefully get a drive next year, Wehrlein, and maybe Norris, Russel and Albon. Kubica? Kimi should retire, Vandoorne's getting embarrassed, Hartley can go, Stroll and Sirotkin haven't shown much but that's also the Williams.

I'll take today's 20 car grid over any 90s grid.

r33per

Reaction score
Ricciardo signs with... Renault?
Surely a career consigned to the midfield? Unless Renault have some amazing 2019/2020 package that will see them win races without telling one of their drivers to crash...

TheTrooper

Reaction score
He surely signed a 1+1 (option) deal.
Next year Renault, then, if Merc or Ferrari let go Bottas or Kimi, he has a shot at that seat.

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
Following on from that, the past few years has been the best grid of drivers probably ever.
I'd still rate the late 70es early 80es higher. Tambay, Arnoux, Piquet, Prost, Lauda, Villeneuve, Berger, Alboreto and Senna by the late 80es. They were to today's drivers what John Mcenroe is to Novak Djokovic. Rock stars.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
I'd still rate the late 70es early 80es higher. Tambay, Arnoux, Piquet, Prost, Lauda, Villeneuve, Berger, Alboreto and Senna by the late 80es. They were to today's drivers what John Mcenroe is to Novak Djokovic. Rock stars.
Sure, but Djokovic is way better than McEnroe ever was.

Here's a picture from when the grid was significantly weaker than it is today:

fAYzZG-FT0DJtYhqhkAVRAAJccIOI8bCn4Xjgq79wHA.jpg

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
Sure, but Djokovic is way better than McEnroe ever was.
Uh, guess we'll have to disagree then.

There are two ways some people can be above the competition:
-They're good
-The competition sucks
To me Djokovic is in the second case. Stopping there and not hijacking this as this isn't a tennis thread. ^^

Vostre Roy

Disciple of Djod
Reaction score
So, Lance Stroll's father just bought (along with other people) Force India. I guess that its a safe bet to say that Lance will probably join them by next year.

Hope this won't be as disastrous as the J. Villeneuve / BAR experience which basically was his career demise

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
So, Lance Stroll's father just bought (along with other people) Force India. I guess that its a safe bet to say that Lance will probably join them by next year.

Hope this won't be as disastrous as the J. Villeneuve / BAR experience which basically was his career demise
If not sooner!

I always figured Villneuve's demise was staying in F1 past 1997.

Vostre Roy

Disciple of Djod
Reaction score
I always figured Villneuve's demise was staying in F1 past 1997.

Ahahah, for sure the 1998 Williams were nowhere close to be as competitive than the two previous years and BARs were basically lawnmower dressed as F1, but I admit that even then he kinda took habit of crashing any kind of car he was put behind the wheel of. As an enthusiast back then, it broke my heart to see my idol take such a plunge.

Hopefully, Strolls career will be successful. Beside Villeneuve (father and son) and Stroll, not many Canadian made much noise in the F1