Formula One thread

• Thread starter TheDuatAwaits
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TheTrooper

Reaction score
I think both Championships are wrapped up, really really hard to see a huge comeback from Ferrari (would like that, nice fight 'till the last race) but never say never.
I must say, this time, it was a pretty good Russian GP.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
At this point I'm very interested to see if Lewis can break his post championship winless streak if he clinches it before Abu Dhabi. It'd also be a hell of a turnaround if Lewis could beat his most wins in a season, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

r33per

Reaction score
It was a weird podium. Kinda conflicted about it, but ultimately championship contender needs all the points possible at this...point in the season.

Monza, that lap in Singapore and the move on Vettel, all combined with 8 wins so far: you'd be forgiven for thinking LH and Merc have dominated this season, but that's not the story. It's going to take something catastrophic for Ferrari/Seb to claw this one back.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

r33per

Reaction score
W Series. Mixed opinions about this one. Delighted to have women encouraged in the sport literally in the driving seat, but only to get the cash? Isn't that what family after family of racing drivers have worked three jobs and sacrificed so much for to see come to pass? Am i just that naive about "male dominated"?

What about the hundreds of other positions in an F1 team: will they have their own series as well?

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
W Series. Mixed opinions about this one. Delighted to have women encouraged in the sport literally in the driving seat, but only to get the cash? Isn't that what family after family of racing drivers have worked three jobs and sacrificed so much for to see come to pass? Am i just that naive about "male dominated"?

What about the hundreds of other positions in an F1 team: will they have their own series as well?
I agree with you on the one hand, and I disagree in principle with anything Carmen Jorda backs. If this were F1W I'd be 100% against it. The fact is these are F3 cars and there just aren't any women getting chances in motorsports. At F3 level it can't hurt, it's not like women's football, or WNBA, where they can't physically compete, it's much more an opportunity thing I think.

As to the other F1 related jobs, I'd point you to what Susie Wolff and Claire Williams are doing to promote women in F1 teams, and I'd point to the global push for women in STEM subjects. Contrary to most racing grids, however, there are women up and down the pit wall and paddock. Claire Williams and Ruth Buscombe are pretty big names. The only strategist better known than Ruth might be James Vowles because we've heard so much from him this year.

r33per

Reaction score
Contrary to most racing grids, however, there are women up and down the pit wall and paddock. Claire Williams and Ruth Buscombe are pretty big names. The only strategist better known than Ruth might be James Vowles because we've heard so much from him this year.
That's true, actually. Just going by the TV coverage, there has been a notable increase in the number of woman on the pit wall, on the pit crew and in the mechanics team in the 2018 season.

I guess my issue is less about the W series and perhaps more that this is the situation. A driver should be in F1 if they have the capability, doesn't matter if they are a young lad or lass. I'm well aware that is a pretty basic, binary view on it and misses all the nuances and politics of how someone lands a spot in one out of 20 seats, but i can't help that. :)

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
That's true, actually. Just going by the TV coverage, there has been a notable increase in the number of woman on the pit wall, on the pit crew and in the mechanics team in the 2018 season.

I guess my issue is less about the W series and perhaps more that this is the situation. A driver should be in F1 if they have the capability, doesn't matter if they are a young lad or lass. I'm well aware that is a pretty basic, binary view on it and misses all the nuances and politics of how someone lands a spot in one out of 20 seats, but i can't help that. :)
Yeah, it would be great if F1 seats and F2 seats were handed out based on merit alone. coughRaikkonencough

r33per

Reaction score
Hammer Time! As my two year old nephew shouted at Silverstone last year: Come on, Lewis!

r33per

Reaction score
Verstappen needs to cool it or he won't be able to compete with the big boys long term.
Absolutely. He started in F1 too early. If he's not careful, Leclerc and the rest of the new breed will pass him by because they behave with a class and a maturity that enhances their driving.

Plus no-one likes working with a hot head prima donna, no matter how good they are. I'm sure the film industry can tell us that...

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
Absolutely. He started in F1 too early. If he's not careful, Leclerc and the rest of the new breed will pass him by because they behave with a class and a maturity that enhances their driving.

Plus no-one likes working with a hot head prima donna, no matter how good they are. I'm sure the film industry can tell us that...
Max is no doubt incredibly fast, and it was looking like he'd figured out the making mature decisions bit of racing too. Guess we'll have to wait for that, but until then I don't see how he'd beat Hamilton over a season without a strong car advantage.