Formula One thread

• Thread starter TheDuatAwaits
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

F1Filter

Contributor
Reaction score
I guess I'm in the minority, but I enjoyed the late '70s-early '80s era of pit-stop-less F1 better. Not having fuel stops has made it better, but the real sadness is that there are only 2-3 competitive teams a year.

Of course, everything was a lot rawer back then...

If you were able to secure a Ford Cosworth deal. You had a very good chance of scoring points, or even getting a podium finish. Because back then, it was all about the chassis. The Cosworth engine was the great equalizer for the privateers. That is, until the turbo engines and ground effects appeared...

But besides the early 90's, which I still think are some of the most gorgeous F1 cars ever. I'll have to agree. Late 70's-Early 80's: Some great racing, lots of parity amongst the constructors, even the "Garagistas" had a chance of winning. Of course, the sport back then was also a bloodbath. Lots of gruesome leg injuries once the ground effects cars came into play (which moved drivers position on top of the front axle). And that's also the era where we lost both Ronnie Peterson and Gilles Villeneuve.

Yet it sometimes seems that the inherent respect amongst drivers back then, because of the risks involved, just doesnt exist within the grid today. I'd think a driver like Pastor Maldonado wouldn't have his superlicense for very long back then. Or would probably even be alive after a season or two.

BTW, that Sauber C34's livery absolutely reeks of Felipe Nasr's sponsorship money he's bringing in. It's really sad to see Sauber in their current state. They deserve better, IMHO. I really hope they're going to be able to score some points this season.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
I, personally, think the real sadness is less the lack of competitive teams, and more the lack of teams. Plus, this year, we could have Force India really competing and hopefully McLaren and Lotus will get back up there. 11 cars fighting for the win wouldn't be bad, and we'd also have Ferrari hanging around pretending to be fast. That'd just leave Sauber and Toro Rosso fighting for the last few places with Maldonado.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
STR10:

jer15-launch-cov1.jpg

Dooky

Reaction score
I agree with Rash, I've been following F1since I was a kid,the early nineties, the 04/05 was the best season, the rule changes was basically FIA attemp to reduce the Ferraris' monopoly, which should be the other way round. The other teams has to catch up with winning team. Whats the point of racing if you are to be shackled once you're winning. I get that it's for the best interest of the sport, but they are suppressing progress, just like now, V6?? You gotta be kidding me? Ayrton must be squirming in his grave right now. Of all the rule changes that I like is the new Qualifying format. Other that than are shite. Those pit stops and fuel strategy are what made is awesome, remember when Kimi was on fire in Singapore? How ice cool he was? I miss those hectic haywire pitstop. BTW, the noses on the Ferarri and Sauber looked like dildos..

Ayrton won his first championship with a V6 Turbo.

Kobalt

Reaction score
The other teams has to catch up with winning team. Whats the point of racing if you are to be shackled once you're winning. I get that it's for the best interest of the sport, but they are suppressing progress [...]
That's because in modern F1, talent is out of the window, unless it's spent in R&D, along with a huge pile of money. The drivers are second. They modified the rules, as to prevent teams with virtually unlimited funds like Red Bull or Ferrari to monopolize their spot at the top of the championship.....yet they still manage to stay up there. The "handicap", per say, is the more points they earn, the bigger the entry fee gets for them.

What is the point for smaller teams to even attempt competing in F1 if Red Bull spends 196 million Euros comparatively to Caterham who spends 42 million Euros? The problem is getting so out of hand that we keep losing teams and thus cars on the track. In three years, we lost six cars.

Not sure what you mean by progress, unless you mean another Michael Schumacher era is what you can call progress....it was about time for Vettel to get off the throne after four championships... :lol:

Ayrton won his first championship with a V6 Turbo.
With about 400 additional horsepower, an h-gated gearbox with clutch, and very little downforce. :p

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
Ricciardo tops Hamilton on Top Gear. I can't wait to see Daniel with a good engine...

777timesgod

Officially the unofficial Forum Censor
Reaction score
Why did Ferrari announce their F1 car. They would make more of an impact with an ice cream van, judging by last year's standards of course. Come on, put some effort this year!

Kobalt

Reaction score
Less than 10 days to go!!!!

Goooooo Sauber!

Also, that VJM08 is infinitely sexy.

dcd1501ma340.jpg

Chonker

Reaction score
VJM08 is the last car I worked on when I was in F1, I really hope the guys at FIF1 do well this year.

Kobalt

Reaction score
VJM08 is the last car I worked on when I was in F1, I really hope the guys at FIF1 do well this year.
You worked at SFI or you worked on their car as part of some other association? FIA?

Chonker

Reaction score
I worked for SFI, it was a good place to work with some great people. They really deserve success and I hope they get it (although the slow start to this season is probably going to hurt).

F1Filter

Contributor
Reaction score
P1/P2 sessions already start today? Where did he winter season testing go? Seems like the off-season is getting shorter and shorter.

Anyway. Here's hoping to a close, exciting, and most importantly, safe season. :yesway:

Reminder to anyone in the US. All practice sessions are on NBCSN Live Extra. Or find "alternate" ways to get the Sky Sports feed. Your choice. :lol:

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
P1/P2 sessions already start today? Where did he winter season testing go? Seems like the off-season is getting shorter and shorter.

Anyway. Here's hoping to a close, exciting, and most importantly, safe season. :yesway:

Reminder to anyone in the US. All practice sessions are on NBCSN Live Extra. Or find "alternate" ways to get the Sky Sports feed. Your choice. :lol:

I guess with the time change, FP1 and 2 will be today for you guys, haha.

I'm actually going to be in America during Malaysia, does anyone know what channel it's showing on?

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I guess with the time change, FP1 and 2 will be today for you guys, haha.

I'm actually going to be in America during Malaysia, does anyone know what channel it's showing on?

NBCSN. Hopefully the provider where you are has it.

')