Fortin 33 Meshuggah signature pedal

• Thread starter HeHasTheJazzHands
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bnzboy

Asian Dying
Reaction score
I will need to check it after work.

I can't help but to always think of this brand whenever I see the "33" logo:

31bb12e2-ec7f-41e2-9fb9-11b08caabe5e_1.0242c72be47a45868346a75934823cf8.jpeg

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Looks cool. Judging by the sounds, seems like it cuts bottom end in addition to boosting. Perhaps a tweaked version of the old TC Electronic Integrated Preamp? Or maybe just his favourite eq settings hard-wired in, with an adjustable boost.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
^Probably based on a Grind pedal tweaked to his specs.

I will need to check it after work.

I can't help but to always think of this brand whenever I see the "33" logo:

31bb12e2-ec7f-41e2-9fb9-11b08caabe5e_1.0242c72be47a45868346a75934823cf8.jpeg
The funny thing is that Catch 33 logo predates the 5 Gum logo. He has the 33 inlays on several Ibanezes he got back in the late 90's/early 2000s.

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
So is the Grind an eq shape and boost? Or does it have some clipping/compression in there also?

I've never really been clear on what it does.

PF Chang

Reaction score
The Gind is a clean boost, and so is this (with the addition of a channel switch).

lewis

Reaction score
my reaction:

*Notices Ola puts up video with Fortin 33 in title*
*Screams excitedly inside like a girl*
*Watches Demo*
*Falls in love with its sound and having a "clean channel" off function*
*Imagines using it with my rig*
*Sees its $230*
*stops imagining it with my rig*
*Becomes Sad*

- repeat steps 1-8 again with the NEXT Ola gear demo

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
Do we really need more boost pedals? Sounds good in the video, but everything sounds good in all of Ola's videos. I get the product from a marketing point of view, but if you already have a boost of pretty much any kind, there's not much utility in this one. So this is for.... Meshuggah fans and pedal collectors I guess.

bnzboy

Asian Dying
Reaction score
Do we really need more boost pedals? Sounds good in the video, but everything sounds good in all of Ola's videos. I get the product from a marketing point of view, but if you already have a boost of pretty much any kind, there's not much utility in this one. So this is for.... Meshuggah fans and pedal collectors I guess.

I certainly don't need another drive/boost pedal after owning 10+ OD/Boost pedals. To me they usually all end up sounding very similar in front of an over-driven amp. But sometimes I can't help myself to try out a different pedal; it's always fun to try a new pedal and maybe a new gear will inspire me to come up with a song idea. And sometimes you just end up loving that new gear in the process! I was getting tired of my then-current rig until I bought Randall Satan to give it a try and boom... I love that amp.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
To be fair, the channel switch thing is a good idea. I'm just not sure what this does other than a level boost. Nor am I sure of whether or not there are different ways to go about a level boost that sound different. If there's a particular eq curve built in, maybe that makes sense. If there's some compression added maybe? Some kind of subtle distortion? I'm all for it if there's an actual sound/feel difference compared to another pedal. I've got a TC Spark for example- but this thing is more expensive and has fewer features, a less elaborate case design, etc.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
To be fair, the channel switch thing is a good idea. I'm just not sure what this does other than a level boost. Nor am I sure of whether or not there are different ways to go about a level boost that sound different. If there's a particular eq curve built in, maybe that makes sense. If there's some compression added maybe? Some kind of subtle distortion? I'm all for it if there's an actual sound/feel difference compared to another pedal. I've got a TC Spark for example- but this thing is more expensive and has fewer features, a less elaborate case design, etc.

Clean boost that cuts the bass and adds some high end bite.

I see people saying "buy a tubescreamer", but the pedals like the Grind and POSSIBLY this one don't have that annoying mid-range hump and don't seem to compress the sound like a Tubescreamer does. Pretty much seems to be a boost that somehow keeps your tone transparent WHILE still making it brutal AF.

EDIT: Mike himself said the EQ curve is different, and the pedal itself is louder. On top of the channel switching dealio.

While the Grind is best for making already-gainy amps even more brutal, I can see this being useful for vintage-style amps (ala Plexis, JCMs, etc).

Last edited:

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
A built-in eq that you don't have to think about makes some sense. I get the tubescreamer suggestion, since I know lots of people who use it mostly just for the level boost, but it has it's own color. That's a lot of why I switched to the Spark - you control the EQ more or less, and there's a switch to disable mid-hump.

Spinedriver

Reaction score
The difference between getting something like the Spark or similar is that you can tweak the eq to suit whichever amp you're plugging into. With the Fortin pedals, if (for whatever reason) the eq seems a bit 'off' when engaged, there's nothing you can do about it because it's fixed.

Granted, for those that like it, I'm sure it sounds fantastic but for $200 +, it'd be nice if it had just a little bit more flexibility.

PF Chang

Reaction score
This pedal does almost the same thing for literally half the price. It's a combination of a clean boost and a treble boost. The level is fixed, and the blend knob goes from clean to treble. It's less gain than the Grind and 33, but you'd only need that much boost if your amp's lead channel was really weak or muddy. I already have a modded head, so it just gets brittle/honky with extreme boost.

')