ForTiorI stems for mixing practice

• Thread starter shnizzle
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Zei

Reaction score
Sweet! Thank you man. Will be playing around with this. I'll post my "final" when I finish.

ToneLab

Bedroom Playa
Reaction score
Johnny - thanks for your tutorials - foundational for me in learning how to mix.

YJH

Reaction score
[SC]https://soundcloud.com/jo-blin/fortiori-the-fight-reflection-mixtest[/SC]

Really enjoy this song!!!!:hbang:

shnizzle

johnny
Reaction score
generally speaking, nice. the guitars and vocals sound like you boosted the high mids a lot and reduced some low mids, which leaves you with a rather thin almost radio-ish sound. you could ease up on those boosts and give them more balls in the low mids. the vocals are also a bit dry. could benefit from some more delay and reverb. and a de-esser would be good. there are still some sharp "s" sounds.
i like the kick.

YJH

Reaction score
generally speaking, nice. the guitars and vocals sound like you boosted the high mids a lot and reduced some low mids, which leaves you with a rather thin almost radio-ish sound. you could ease up on those boosts and give them more balls in the low mids. the vocals are also a bit dry. could benefit from some more delay and reverb. and a de-esser would be good. there are still some sharp "s" sounds.
i like the kick.

Thanks for good advice!

I need more learning to handle vocal tracks. :scratch:

deathbyguitar

Reaction score
Such a good song, jesus christ. Can't get that chorus out of my head. I'll post my version tomorrow after finishing up.

Duosphere

(oYo) Lover
Reaction score
I added some ideas.
I cleaned up some harsh guitar frequencies.
Cleaned up bass too now kick sounds better.
But..............main vocals are clipping everywhere, there are a lot of distortion plus it sounds like a megaphone/bullhorn, I never heard vocals clipping that much, it'd take me too much time to make it sound at least "in the mix" so I only cut out some harsh frequencies and added delay/reverb, still it's clipping too much, some parts made limiters jump till the moon :lol:
You guys should record main vocal again but without clipping and without that megaphone sound, I guarantee it'll sound so much better.
Anyway here it is:

http://www.mediafire.com/listen/opqt48hhup0kmjz/TheFightmix.mp3

deathbyguitar

Reaction score
Here's my attempt. Got pretty lazy with the automation and a few other things, but I had an absolute blast mixing this song. It's so catchy and is my favorite song right now. Was hearing it in my head at work all day. :)

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/deathbyguitar/fortiori-the-fight-mix-test[/SC]

shnizzle

johnny
Reaction score
@Duosphere
not sure what you´re talking about. the vocal recordings sound fine to me. when you have four vocal layers singing loud and you don´t use compression and don´t have the right volume balance, of course it´s gonna clip at times and you´re limiter is gonna go crazy. using compression is much more important to get something to sit in the mix than delay/reverb. i used like three compressors for the vocals.
i also didn´t EQ them very much, so i´m not sure where you get the megaphone sound from.
and i think you cleaned up the bass too much. that wet roar doesn´t come through very well and the mix as a whole lacks some balls.
the kick and toms sound kind of ploppy. i´m guessing the limiter is working too hard against them.
and what happened to the snare? sounds like a rim shot. i´m guessing you use too much bottom mic and too little compression.
sorry i´m shooting you down like that, but the mix needs much more work and i´d ditch that master chain. don´t master until the mix sounds right.

@deathbyguitar
i think the snare would benefit from less bottom mic. sounds a bit too cracky and doesn´t have a lot of punch.
the rhythm guitars sound a bit harsh. you may want to lower the 2-3k area a little and don´t boost the high mids too much.

Zei

Reaction score
[SC]https://soundcloud.com/enhalo/fortiori-mix[/SC]

I finally got around to doing it! I had a bit of trouble with the kick, but it sounds nice I think. Doing this was pretty new for me, so I hope it's good. I think it came out pretty nice!

shnizzle

johnny
Reaction score
@Zei
ehm, the whole thing is stretched longer and therefor pitched lower. perhaps that´s what´s giving you some trouble. make sure you use the right bpm. i put it the info in the txt file.

illimmigrant

A Different Logic
Reaction score
Here's my attempt, Johnny. Of all the things that are not properly done, my gain staging was one of them, but it didn't become apparent until I got close to the end. The other thing I want to improve on is the low end. I like it to push air without being muddy, but I haven't quite gotten this down. Let me know what you think.

https://soundcloud.com/a-different-logic/fortiori-the-fight-mix-practice

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/a-different-logic/fortiori-the-fight-mix-practice[/SC]

shnizzle

johnny
Reaction score
yapp, the volume balance is pretty out of wack. especially the vocals are way too loud. the low end could be a bit more powerful. can´t say much else with the vocals being so loud and masking everything.

Paul666

Reaction score
Awesome Track! Can't wait to mix them!
I'll definitely post my mix here in 1-2 days.

Grüße in die Eifel :cheers:

Warlus_Of_Doom

Reaction score
Thanks for awesome practice material bro! Here's my go at it:

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/onni-korhonen/fortiori-the-fight-master5[/SC]

One thing I had issues with was the kick drum. I still don't think it fits well to the mix, but it was a good learning experience trying to do so.

Cool song too :yesway:

shnizzle

johnny
Reaction score
not too shabby. the biggest issue i´m hearing at the moment is the snare. it could use a bit more oomph. right now it sounds more like a death metal snare. mixing wise there´s not exactly anything wrong with it, but imo it doesn´t fit the style of the music.
and the lead in the heavier interludes could come down a bit.

')