Fractal Announces AxeFx AX8 Floorboard With Amps & Effects - $1399

• Thread starter technomancer
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SnowfaLL

Reaction score
^Yeah I'm interested in the Amplifire as well. I've only seen demos of generic rock kinds of sounds, which are all similar to my ears. I've read claims that it's as good as Fractal though. Hopefully somebody does a metal demo.

As for the AX8, I dunno. I haven't tried anything by Fractal so perhaps there is that magical x-factor to it. As far as I'm concerned, you can still get a Pod and an EPSi or Two Notes for a lot less, which is a very capable setup if you absolutely need a floorboard. Otherwise if saving money is so important, just buy a used Axe.

I guess I just don't get what niche it fills if it isn't meant to compete with Line 6 and will be priced similar to a used AxeII. Are there that many people that are absolutely set on an AxeFx but can't wait and save for a foot controller as well?

Thats essentially what the Atomic Amplifire is; a Pod HD (better amp sims apparently) with Two Notes CAB in one, with less features. For the price of basically the Two Notes CAB by itself.

The niche this fills is people who don't want to have to bring a rack to shows/practices - just put the pedal in your bookbag and bring a lightweight FRFR speaker in one hand, and thats your whole rig. I fall into this category. I don't want to bring a huge ass amp or rack with me to get my sound. Before I sold my AxeFX last month, I only had a 4U rack but it was still a hassle cause it required the rack + cab/speaker + midi controllers to bring anywhere, now its just the pedal itself + speaker.

Obviously if you are in the studio, or have a band that had roadies/doesnt mind lugging huge shit around, the rackmount version is probably better for you

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sumsar

Reaction score
The Amplifire could be a great thing for touring, I would very much consider it. Problems is that the atomic amps website is absolute garbage and does not contain ANY ....ing info on which amps it models etc .. They do state in a vid from namm that they are going to issue updates for it (it has usb) so maybe more amps will be added later. Think some horrible rock kid stated that it at least had a 5150, but I am not that much of an 5150 guy .. me want Engl stuff :lol:

Also when abit more info actually comes on these maybe we should make a thread for it instead of uncontrolled thread capture :cool:

Electric Wizard

it's my first day
Reaction score
The niche this fills is people who don't want to have to bring a rack to shows/practices - just put the pedal in your bookbag and bring a lightweight FRFR speaker in one hand, and thats your whole rig. I fall into this category. I don't want to bring a huge ass amp or rack with me to get my sound. Before I sold my AxeFX last month, I only had a 4U rack but it was still a hassle cause it required the rack + cab/speaker + midi controllers to bring anywhere, now its just the pedal itself + speaker.
That's kind of my point though. The Pod does it and the Amplifire does it. Is the AX8 really going to be head and shoulders above these units? It just seems like we already have options for a portable modeling rig that are cheaper as well. I guess if the Fractal name can sell units alone, more power to them.

PBGas

Reaction score
The real trick will be getting hold of one of these before next year. They haven't even released the FX8 due to a silkscreening issue. Those were due back in Q4 of 2014.

Still, nice to see some new products on the market!

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That's kind of my point though. The Pod does it and the Amplifire does it. Is the AX8 really going to be head and shoulders above these units? It just seems like we already have options for a portable modeling rig that are cheaper as well. I guess if the Fractal name can sell units alone, more power to them.

It's the same modeling technology as the Axe II, so yes it really will likely be head and shoulders above at least the Pod. Can't comment on the Amplifire since there is almost no real info about them.

Electric Wizard

it's my first day
Reaction score
^I meant a Pod with a device for external IRs, if that wasn't clear. I'm not convinced there's that big of a difference, especially in a mix. If it's more of a feel thing, then point taken.

I'm not really looking for a debate, I'm just saying a lot of people seem to be excited about the lower price point but also speculating that it's basically within spitting distance of a used model of one of its big brothers. I'd think it would incentivize buying used to get all of the features, unless there were some really particular reasons not to.

SSK0909

Reaction score
^I meant a Pod with a device for external IRs, if that wasn't clear. I'm not convinced there's that big of a difference, especially in a mix. If it's more of a feel thing, then point taken.

I'm not really looking for a debate, I'm just saying a lot of people seem to be excited about the lower price point but also speculating that it's basically within spitting distance of a used model of one of its big brothers. I'd think it would incentivize buying used to get all of the features, unless there were some really particular reasons not to.

As someone who has his own recording studio at home and has played modellers for years, the axe-fx is way ahead when it comes to fitting in a mix. Its much better at modelling all the stuff you might not notice at first, like harmonic overtones. But all those little deatils really help the guitar sit right in the mix :)

Devyn Eclipse Nav

Avid Open C Enthusiast, Aspiring Ghibli Wizard
Reaction score
I'm just saying a lot of people seem to be excited about the lower price point but also speculating that it's basically within spitting distance of a used model of one of its big brothers. I'd think it would incentivize buying used to get all of the features, unless there were some really particular reasons not to.

To me, the advantage of buying this over a full on used Axe FXII would be a few things

-The controller's built in, so that's a large chunk of change saved right there not having to buy a controller. I like being able to change presets and add in effects on the fly, even when jamming in my room, so just having a rack unit would be no fun. Plus this way, there's less cabling to run live.

-It's great for gigs with quick setup and teardown needed, if all you do is run FRFR - bring a guitar, an instrument cable, and 2 XLR cables - one for a personal monitor, one for the FOH guy, or both for him, if you go stereo. When you're done, the unit and all the cables go in a backpack, and the guitar goes in a case - if this, a guitar, and an FRFR speaker are your whole rig, you can carry it all in one trip.

-Simpler editing of basic amp parameters on the fly. I've not got extensive use with the AxeFX, only messed with my friend's unit, but I definitely had a hard time figuring out how to use it without AxeEdit. This has your basic EQ right on the front panel, something invaluble for a gig where you have to tweak your tone to compensate for a bad room. It's all right there, instead of in submenus

And plus, this sorta reminds me of when Nintendo brought out the 2DS - lots of people thought it was a dumb idea and were like "Why bother getting the 2DS for $130 when you can get a used 3DS for $150" Why? Well, the 2DS is new, and still cheaper than the used unit, and the 3DS has features that I don't need or particularly care about anyway, such as the actual 3D (horrid headaches man) and the clamshell vs slate design didn't bug me - I liked the 2DS slate design better anyway.

And in this case, again, it's a cheaper, stripped down version of the bigger unit for people that like the basic functionality, but don't need all the bells and whistles - in the case of the 2DS vs 3DS, I didn't need the 3D, but still wanted to play all the new games - this, I don't need the dual amp tones (I can get by with just an amp, some overdrives, delays, a reverb, and a chorus pedal) or any of the wacky effects, but I do want the high-quality amp and cab models.

TL;DR - it's got me very intrigued, and if it's in the $1500-$1800 range, I will highly consider it. I'd get this over a full blown AxeFX any day, the real deal is a fantastic pro studio tool, but I'd just use it for jamming, demos, and gigging - and I feel like that's where this will shine.

axxessdenied

Arium Addict
Reaction score

I used to have a pod hd pro and an axe fx 2 (back to all amps now ;))

When you see people talking about how there is not comparison between the two. There really isn't. The axe fx 2 is in another league compared to anything from line 6.

But, it also depends on the music you play.

Shask

Reaction score
To me, the advantage of buying this over a full on used Axe FXII would be a few things

-The controller's built in, so that's a large chunk of change saved right there not having to buy a controller. I like being able to change presets and add in effects on the fly, even when jamming in my room, so just having a rack unit would be no fun. Plus this way, there's less cabling to run live.

-It's great for gigs with quick setup and teardown needed, if all you do is run FRFR - bring a guitar, an instrument cable, and 2 XLR cables - one for a personal monitor, one for the FOH guy, or both for him, if you go stereo. When you're done, the unit and all the cables go in a backpack, and the guitar goes in a case - if this, a guitar, and an FRFR speaker are your whole rig, you can carry it all in one trip.

-Simpler editing of basic amp parameters on the fly. I've not got extensive use with the AxeFX, only messed with my friend's unit, but I definitely had a hard time figuring out how to use it without AxeEdit. This has your basic EQ right on the front panel, something invaluble for a gig where you have to tweak your tone to compensate for a bad room. It's all right there, instead of in submenus

And plus, this sorta reminds me of when Nintendo brought out the 2DS - lots of people thought it was a dumb idea and were like "Why bother getting the 2DS for $130 when you can get a used 3DS for $150" Why? Well, the 2DS is new, and still cheaper than the used unit, and the 3DS has features that I don't need or particularly care about anyway, such as the actual 3D (horrid headaches man) and the clamshell vs slate design didn't bug me - I liked the 2DS slate design better anyway.

And in this case, again, it's a cheaper, stripped down version of the bigger unit for people that like the basic functionality, but don't need all the bells and whistles - in the case of the 2DS vs 3DS, I didn't need the 3D, but still wanted to play all the new games - this, I don't need the dual amp tones (I can get by with just an amp, some overdrives, delays, a reverb, and a chorus pedal) or any of the wacky effects, but I do want the high-quality amp and cab models.

TL;DR - it's got me very intrigued, and if it's in the $1500-$1800 range, I will highly consider it. I'd get this over a full blown AxeFX any day, the real deal is a fantastic pro studio tool, but I'd just use it for jamming, demos, and gigging - and I feel like that's where this will shine.

I think one HUGE assumption people are making is that the AX8 will have the exact same amps/cabs and effects as the Axe-FX II, only less of them.

I am skeptical that the amps/cabs/effects will be to the same level. I dunno. Number of amps/effects is not really a function of the processor, but the level of detail it can process is. I am wondering if it will leave off the ultrares cabs, or the high resolution settings for the amp models and reverbs, or other things beyond the "Wacky effects". People are also speculating it will not have the grid editing or movable effects, but people can only speculate now.

I will be interested to see the full details when it is ready to start shipping. Until then it is hard to say much of anything.

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
I think one HUGE assumption people are making is that the AX8 will have the exact same amps/cabs and effects as the Axe-FX II, only less of them.

I am skeptical that the amps/cabs/effects will be to the same level. I dunno. Number of amps/effects is not really a function of the processor, but the level of detail it can process is. I am wondering if it will leave off the ultrares cabs, or the high resolution settings for the amp models and reverbs, or other things beyond the "Wacky effects". People are also speculating it will not have the grid editing or movable effects, but people can only speculate now.

I will be interested to see the full details when it is ready to start shipping. Until then it is hard to say much of anything.

Cliff said they will be G3 amps.

I'm guessing the main outcome of the slower processor will be a whole lot less stuff at once.

Shask

Reaction score
Cliff said they will be G3 amps.

I'm guessing the main outcome of the slower processor will be a whole lot less stuff at once.

But what does that mean? For example, the Axe-FX II runs the amps in a "high resolution" mode when using one amp, and a "normal resolution" mode when using 2 amps. Will the AX8 only have normal mode? He also did not mention cabs. The cabs have 4 modes on the Axe-FX II. Will the AX8 include UltraRes? What about stereo?

I am just curious overall. I am not saying one way or the other, but I dont know if everyone has realistic expectations.

jbealsmusic

Reaction score
Well........
- High quality amp/cab/effects models in a floor-based unit? check
- Fx-loop, XLR outs, and no wall wart? check
- USB? (hopefully that means interface and PC-based preset editing) check (maybe)
- Advanced routing and "scenes"? check

This literally has everything I've been looking for in a digital unit ever since I started buying digital gear around 10 years ago. I wonder what "aggressive price" means coming from Fractal. If it means anything close to $1K USD, they already have my money and don't even know it yet.

I actually think it will come in cheaper than the FX8. They never made indication that the FX8 was going to be aggressively priced and it is $1349. Maybe it'll be around $1200? I'm thinking (and hoping) this is going to take the totally vacant $1000-$1500 spot in the middle of the market.

Last edited:

SnowfaLL

Reaction score
the only reason they said "aggressively priced" is because they knew the Atomic Amplifire was starting shipping the next day. I doubt it will be less than the FX8. It's definitely between 1500-2000.

Reaction score
It's like people WANT it to be as expensive as possible. :lol:

th_awalkerhuh.png

Yianni54

Reaction score
I actually think it will come in cheaper than the FX8. They never made indication that the FX8 was going to be aggressively priced and it is $1349. Maybe it'll be around $1200? I'm thinking (and hoping) this is going to take the totally vacant $1000-$1500 spot in the middle of the market.

Its definitely going to be more expensive than FX8 as it not only has effects but also amps, which the FX8 does not.

I did here that the first row of banks is actually on the second row, which is somewhat counter intiutive in that you want your foot presets 1,2,3,4 on the bottom row closest to your feet. Anyway. . . .

jbealsmusic

Reaction score
Its definitely going to be more expensive than FX8 as it not only has effects but also amps, which the FX8 does not.
It also uses more inexpensive processors. I'm hoping for no more than $1500 USD. I can't imagine it selling for over $1999. I don't think anyone would consider that "aggressively priced".

I did here that the first row of banks is actually on the second row, which is somewhat counter intiutive in that you want your foot presets 1,2,3,4 on the bottom row closest to your feet. Anyway. . . .
I don't know about the AX8/FX8, but you can program the MFC to work however you want. If it isn't customizable on the AX8/FX8, I'm fine with the presets being on the top row. I actually prefer it because I would change between "scenes" far more often than I would switch presets.

')