Fractal fm3/fm9 or Neural DSP Quadcortex

EliasFriedl

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I haven't heard anything about it - which I thiiiiiiiiink is good news? But since Fractal doesn't acknowledge it as a flaw in the original, they don't call out whether or not they've corrected it in the newest one, so who knows. At one point I would have been willing to literally just buy a new one if I knew for sure they had worked that out, but the lack of acknowledgement and the lack of certainty that it's been fixed has kept me just living with the broken one. Seems likely that it's fine, I just wish they'd own up to it.
Yeah I hope they fixed it. I don’t want to have USB trouble at that price point. I guess if I don’t hear anything about it I‘ll go for the fm9 when I have the money.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MatrixClaw

Whoaaa No Way!!!
Reaction score
Unsurprisingly, despite internet hate the Quad Cortex seems to be a hit in Europe and plenty of bands are touring with it already. The reason? The same old one. Fractal's availability in EU sucks donkey balls.
This is because Fractal doesn't want to ship to Europe, for some reason. Years ago, I used to work with a friend in Russia who was the only Fractal dealer in Europe. Fractal would ship orders to me in the US, I'd slap a USPS label on it and ship it to him. Why? Fractal refused to ship internationally, or at least refused to do it for any sort of rate that was even remotely sane. It cost like $60 a piece to ship those things to his shop in Saint Petersburg and it took me like 10 minutes of work to open it up make sure everything was good and then fill out a customs form and take it to the post office. Absolutely insane the logistics of it all, just because they didn't want to do it. I can only imagine how many units G66 has to buy at once for them to agree to ship them and clearly the markup is still crazy on them.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah I hope they fixed it. I don’t want to have USB trouble at that price point. I guess if I don’t hear anything about it I‘ll go for the fm9 when I have the money.
No guarantee any usb wont have issues though. If the fm3 mk2 meets requirements, buy that one.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
This is because Fractal doesn't want to ship to Europe, for some reason.
It took me like 10 minutes of work to open it up make sure everything was good and then fill out a customs form and take it to the post office.
You have no idea how much stuff I've missed due to americans thinking shipping outside the US is the equivalent of taking the One Ring to Mordor.

MatrixClaw

Whoaaa No Way!!!
Reaction score
You have no idea how much stuff I've missed due to americans thinking shipping outside the US is the equivalent of taking the One Ring to Mordor.
Oh, I believe it. I didn't have to work throughout college because of Americans being afraid to ship outside the US :lol:

Deadpool_25

Gearwhore no more? Nope. Still a gearwhore. :(
Reaction score
On the QC power supply issue: can the Ciocks Crux run it? I was thinking yes, but can't remember for sure.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
On the QC power supply issue: can the Ciocks Crux run it? I was thinking yes, but can't remember for sure.
The Crux literally exists because of the QC PSU complaints, so yes.

It's handy as well if you have something like the Victory V4 preamps which need 2A to operate safely.

Deadpool_25

Gearwhore no more? Nope. Still a gearwhore. :(
Reaction score
Ah cool. I have a Crux laying around for future use. So obviously I should get a QC to go with it, right??

The Thing Upstairs

Reaction score
I have an AF3, owned a QC for close to 6 months. I kept the AF3 and now own a FM3 as well.

Power supply, noise, buttons too close together, less flexible routing, DSP limits and lack of updates are a few of the reasons I remember for selling it. It sounded great but I preferred the AF3 once I was out of the honeymoon period.

The FM3 is a more sturdy unit and feels a lot more robust. The switches are distanced more sensibly and with press once, press twice and press and hold are more than enough. I would far rather have that than the close together switches of the QC.

')