Fractal FX-8

• Thread starter Splinterhead
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

decreebass

Business Secrets of the Pharoahs
Reaction score
I use the 6CM, where I use and external laptop to change patches, amp channels, and fx parameters in live time to a click track for me with the GT100. I never even have to touch the damn thing while playing lololol.

That's brilliant! I could see the benefits for live playing, but I mainly just practice at home so that's probably overkill for me but kudos!

As far as the quality of effects... The Boss GT-100 has great effects. The HD500 has great effects as well - for instance, it's hard to tell the difference between an actual analog Deluxe Memory Man and the Line-6's M-Class delay effect called "Analog Delay w/ Mod." They're very good. The old DL4 has horrible analog delay w/mod - the M-Class effects by Line 6 are miles above their old stuff (thus the eponymous "HDxxx").

I'm sure the Axe Fx are worlds better than Line 6 or Boss, but unless you're recording at a very high bitrate, you probably couldn't appreciate the quality difference if you're just using it through your own amp. I may be wrong, but that's the reason I haven't bought the Eventide H9 - I hear it's amazing, but through a tube amp and a 2x12 mono cabinet, I doubt the difference would blow my mind. Again, I could be wrong.

With some clever tweaking and EQing, you can get extremely usable sounds out of the lower-middle class effects units (PodHDs, newer GTs, etc.) without having to upgrade to the upper-middle class effects (Eventide, Pigtronics, Strymon, etc.) or the upper-crust (Fractal Audio, Kemper, etc.).

I've never tried the G-Major, but many users swear by it. I've been considering picking one up myself, but I can't justify that kind of money just for curiosity *goes to buy more EBMM guitars* lol

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

decreebass

Business Secrets of the Pharoahs
Reaction score
Thanks man!

Anytime! I love explaining it :) I try to get more clear and concise every time someone asks about it!

As an aside, some effects like flanger and phaser have proponents for using them both after OR before the preamp. Technically they're 'time-based' effects but they sound good either way - your taste is the deciding factor.

Anyway, I highly recommend the GT-100. I have a Pod HD500 that I'm putting up on Craigslist just because the GT is so much more versatile. I want to try the Axe Fx II (or XL) but it's more of a luxury than a necessity for me. I have a feeling this Axe pedal is going to be the Virtual Boy of effects units. It's probably going to price itself out of the market for most of us, and those that CAN afford it will most likely opt for the actual full-on Axe Fx unit. The only caveat, I would say, is if it has many versatile hook up and routing options (ie multiple FX loops, multiple amp control options, MIDI capable, a quality foot pedal, etc.). I'm often wrong, though, so go figure :)

PBGas

Reaction score
Looks like a really neat product. With those fx from the Axe II as well as the routing they proposed, it will make a lot of pedal boards much simpler.

Very interested!

DC23

Reaction score
Looks cool, but the exact opposite of what I have been waiting for lol. I'd love a 1U amp modelling only product. Maybe that would come along and people could pair that wight he FX8. Either way, nice to see products coming from Fractal. For those thinking it's $1000, I'm thinking closer to $1499.

Decipher

Ibanez Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good on Fractal! Personal preference I would like a 1U effects only unit as I'm not a fan of long runs back & forth to my pedal board.

sage

twerk twerk thall
Reaction score
Interested, but it would be cool if you could see the whole right side to know whether or not an integrated expression pedal is part of the form factor.

Syrinx

Reaction score
Interested, but it would be cool if you could see the whole right side to know whether or not an integrated expression pedal is part of the form factor.

Nothing else to the right of the photo. It has two jacks on the back for expression pedals.

noUser01

Still can't play.
Reaction score
The amount of people who are whining about this is astounding.

Some people just don't get marketing... or logic.

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
I'm sure its really cool, and lots of people will like it. I understand why NOT to put amps/IR in here, cause otherwise that would cut into AFX sales with people like me who like modeling, but want it on the floor, AIO, without extra crap to buy, so If I want AFX amp models, I gotta buy the rack, get a controller, which (besides the cost) is a big reason I haven't opted for one, same with Kemper. I like the AIO form factor, but this is still cool for lots, I'm sure.

themike

Chug Life
Reaction score

Yeah people don't understand Cliff is 1/2 passionate mad scientist and 1/2 business owner.

FractalAudio said:
This product is aimed at the person who doesn't want to use modeling. It is specifically designed for use with an amp. The I/O architecture was designed to integrate with tube amps.

The one thing people seem to be assuming is that we have no other products under development. In fact we have no less than six new products in active development.

ihunda

Reaction score
Nice.... but I don't have a use for it...
Could they finally add power amp simulation only in the amp blocks? My Triaxis 2 non phat is still night and days above any of the recto and mark models...

rectifryer

Banned
Reaction score

Not sure what you are getting at. Are you saying people asking for amp models don't understand the intended market of this product?

I have been looking for a true high end and highly integrateable fx unit for, I don't know, my whole guitar playing life. I am really interested to see what this ends up costing.

Given To Fly

Reaction score
Not sure what you are getting at. Are you saying people asking for amp models don't understand the intended market of this product?

I have been looking for a true high end and highly integrateable fx unit for, I don't know, my whole guitar playing life. I am really interested to see what this ends up costing.

This product arrived (will arrive) a little late for me, I already bought my outrageously expensive pedals. But I have to give Fractal a :yesway: because they now have a product that is easily marketable to the tube amp community.

Aris_T

Reaction score
I was doing my research for a delay and probably a reverb pedal, to go with my Kemper. The eventide and strymon units had my attention, but now I'm intrigued. Looking forward to "Soon"!

')