Framus cobra vs peavey 6505

• Thread starter Astewie26
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jamsea

Reaction score
There's videos for both of those amps here:

Amp testing - YouTube

Along with every other metal amp in existence. Listen to both and see which one you like more. IMO both of those amps are solid choices for metal.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

dbuk01

Reaction score
The Cobra is definitely very very tight sounding - cuts through well in the live mix, a VERY dry sounding head IMO and not to my personal tastes. Engl Invader suits me way more -:)

I never had the chance to try the Cobra with a decimator and maxon which maybe might have helped me like the amp more but I had far too many reliability problems with that amp going down on me even after servicing/replacing tubes - was very odd!

imaginary

Reaction score
I had a Cobra for a couple years right next to my 5150 2(that I still own). 5150 2 is awesome. I love it. I got a compliment on my tone from a mandolin player once! That's how good the 5150 is! ...Ok, just forget about the mandolin player... As good as the 5150 is, the Cobra gives me adrenaline to even think about it. I run less gain than most and have never got into boosting my amps. To me, and my experience, the Cobra made me feel "the Power"! try it out, for sure! I would choose a Cobra over a 6505 for sure. no question. And I still recommend the 5150/6505 to any one who can't get tight tone.

Astewie26

Reaction score
So I just picked up my framus. Sounds effing awesome best tone I've ever heard . Boosting it with a Maxon od808 and running it through a tele with bare knuckles and a emperor cab it's biased to run e34l in stead of el34 I was wanting kt77 in it but the tubes in it sound good any suggestions

TMM

UUDDLRLRBAStart
Reaction score
I had a framus cobra boosted with a maxon 808 and loved it.
Its funny how people are mentioning the cobra being fizzing with lots of low end, i found my amp tight as fuck and the exact opposite. Make sure you play with the depth control.
As for being fizzy and "getting lost in the mix" I strongly blame that on the user.
For me i used the crunch channel, clean boosted with the maxon od (drive 0 tone 12 level full) and everything pretty much on noon give or take. Also i ran the PREAMP volume quite loud (3/4) and then use the master volume to adjust to taste. Makes a big difference.

Same experience here, except I didn't even need the OD to get the Cobra to sound incredible. Those are some seriously awesome amps. I will probably own one at some point.

')