Framus Dragon = Uberschall dist type?

• Thread starter trippled
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

trippled

Reaction score
Hi fellows,
Yepp still in my amp quest but i guess this is what this all board about.
Ive recently got more and more intrested in the framus dragon which i can get in a great deal.
I never played the Uberschall but i heard alot of sound clips(stone sour mainly) that gave me an idea of how it sounds and its basically the voicing im really searching for.
I like that ballsy,dark,loose voicing alot.. but i dont seem to have the option to get an uberschall - but from all the descriptions and sound clips ive heard it seems that the dragon should have really that type of voicing - can anyone comment if im right?
Again i can get it in a great deal and i really think it will suit me.
Your thoughts?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Crucified

Deathgrind Maniac
Reaction score
from what i've heard, the ubershall seems to have more gain the framus sounds more compressed. However i only own an ubershall and haven't played a dragon only heard fleetingly

trippled

Reaction score
Compressed? I think youre talking on the cobra... the dragon suppouse to be realkly organic according to the sound clips and people comments.
I guess the uberschall could have more gain but i dont think the dragon will lack gain.

ukfswmart

Far too opinionated
Reaction score
Yeah, the Cobra is the the really tight-sounding one of the two Framus amps

trippled

Reaction score
yeah but ive heard the dragon is really organic,dark,loose and doesnt have that mesa fizz.
It suppouse to be more dark than a mesa.. it really sounds like how i would describe the uberschall from what ive heard.
and crucified.... i want your amp!!!!

String Seraphim

The Walkin' Dude
Reaction score
yeah but ive heard the dragon is really organic,dark,loose and doesnt have that mesa fizz.
It suppouse to be more dark than a mesa.. it really sounds like how i would describe the uberschall from what ive heard.
and crucified.... i want your amp!!!!

This is basically right. The Dragon is really heavey in the lower-mid and bass range so it's a pretty dark sounding amp. So if you have a bright sounding guitar alder or ash maybe the dragon would be a really good choice. I like it because of the flexibility. The uberschall seems to be a one-trick-pony kind of deal. I've never played one mind you, but from what I hear the uberschall has an almost sludgy gain characteristic, great for low devastating riffs, not so great for leads. If you want versatility the Dragon is your best bet. If you only want to do metal and nothing else the Uberschall.

trippled

Reaction score
The question is if versatility = less better sounding amp for me.
Is the dragon loose as the uberschall? I know jim root uses the uberschall in stone sour and i really loved his tone there.
And actually i have 2 guitars which are both pretty dark - an ibanez s prestige with mahagony body(which i dont really use now) and another great guitar named flaxwood which is a hollow body graphite guitar and is a really midrange dark sounding guitar.
And again, i dont have the money or the ability to get an uberschall(shipping a tube amp to israel isnt something id like to do) i just wanna know if the framus dragon which is an amp i can get easily, has a similar voicing.

HamBungler

Lord Zorgatron
Reaction score
I don't think you can really go wrong with a Dragon, if you have the chance to test it out, do so. If the amp is a little dark, you can always put an EQ in the loop and adjust the frequencies to your liking.

LordOVchaoS

NUDE MAN!
Forum MVP
Reaction score
The amp I've played that sounded closest to an Uber is the Hughes and Kettner Warp-X. VERY similar sounding distortion but slightly tighter.

trippled

Reaction score
Hmm... any sound samples?
After listenning to some samples and reading about it, it doesnt seem to be really what im searching for.

ShawnFjellstad

hates womanizers.
Reaction score
dragons don't sound compressed at all. the dragon is very low-mid heavy and thus pretty dark, but eq-ed right can sound as bright as you want it to.

ballsy, dark, and loose more or less describes the dragon. throw a boost up front and it tightens up, becomes brighter, and becomes even more articulate than it already is. so, again, its inherently dark and loose, but you can change that if you feel the need.

trippled

Reaction score
It actually sounds too tight for my taste.
Maybe because of the booster?
Im really searching for something to that direction:
http://www.bogneramplification.com/...UOTE] Ok that sounds really good. thanks!

D-EJ915

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Dragons are awesome, one I played reminded me of a tube version of my Randall, but might just be my playing which is really tight to begin with.