Free image software...?

• Thread starter odibrom
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey fellows, I'm hereby asking for your knowledge.

I'm looking for FREE image editing software
+ Web based/processed, meaning no installation if possible.
+ With multi layer capability.
+ MUST be able to output .PNG files with alfa channel (transparency), along with RGB channels, obviously.
+ image correction filters, like contrast, saturation and so on
+ must be able to do masks.
+ It would be cool if it could export to .PSD files (Photoshop) with all layers intact (raster at least).

Alternatively, I could use Autodesk's Sketchbook for Android / IOS (?), but I'd prefer PC based software.

So, what say you, what's out there?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Aewrik

Reaction score

There's also Canva, but it doesn't have the same commitment to remaining free (it's non-profit, though).

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
GIMP will do all of that and more, but it is not web based. I think you could use it from a liveUSB/CD in Linux if that helps.

Reaction score
Thank you all for your input. I'll check that Photopea as soon as possible, Canva and GIMP as well.

The reason for this software to be Web based is beacause I'm teaching kids from 14 to 16 years old (more or less) and I'm involved in a project where I'll need to edit photos and images. I don't want (nor can) to use payed software like Photoshop. Web based because I'd rather not wast time with the kids installing the sofware on their PCs, so a web based software would be ideal, one enters the site, loads the image, do the editing and export it to JPG, PNG or whatever. Some of the kids aren't wealthy, most probably don't have enough computer knowledge to install whatsoever on their own PCs, so a FREE and WEB based software is the best option...

I already knew about Canva and GIMP, but am yet to explore them since for that kind of work I prefer a more robust and stronger software. Never heard of Photopea before...

... is there anything else I should look for?

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
It's not online, but I often fall back on Paint.NET - it's kinda similar to old versions of Photoshop, but much more lightweight.

cindarkness

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Pixlr

I've used it for some quick photo edits at work, where I'm not allowed to install anything :)

gabito

Stay at home musician
Reaction score
Photopea, as they guys above said.

I use it when for some reason Photoshop is not available.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
... GIMP ... I prefer a more robust and stronger software.

Hmm, I don't know how long ago you've used GIMP if you consider it not to be "robust and strong". Yeah, it's an open source application, but still, IME it does pretty much everything Photoshop does and there's a huge community providing scripts and filters and stuff for it that expands on what it can do. I also have yet to come across an image it can't open. I use it for all my image editing needs, and it definitely does the trick.

But yeah, it doesn't fit the criteria you were asking for anyway, so never mind :lol:

Reaction score
Hmm, I don't know how long ago you've used GIMP if you consider it not to be "robust and strong". Yeah, it's an open source application, but still, IME it does pretty much everything Photoshop does and there's a huge community providing scripts and filters and stuff for it that expands on what it can do. I also have yet to come across an image it can't open. I use it for all my image editing needs, and it definitely does the trick.

But yeah, it doesn't fit the criteria you were asking for anyway, so never mind :lol:
Hey, it's a FREE software (1 out of 2 ain't that bad, right?) and constructive opinions are always welcome, so thank you.