Free web application to view scales on the fretboard (4 to 8 strings)

Herberts

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have recently created an app with Python to help me learn scales and decided to make a web-application out of it.

https://www.easyfretboard.com/

It is a simple app and easy to use with no need to create an account and it´s free so you can go in and view scales whenever you want. It is possible to choose the number of strings and fully customize the key of every string (in case you want to view how a scale looks for a different tuning).

I use it as a guide where I have a backing track and try to play along following the right notes for that scale. If you have recently started playing any extended range guitar it might be useful to see how the scales change on the extra string(s). It is also possible to set up 4/5 strings in case you are a bassist.

If you are interested fell free to test it out and leave any feedback, hope you guys enjoy it :)

upload_2020-5-1_11-0-54.png

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Super cool. Thanks a lot for the time you put into this project.

I have 3 questions about this
  1. Are you thinking in moving this into Android platform?
  2. Are you considering adding more scales?
  3. Are you considering adding more strings?

Herberts

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Super cool. Thanks a lot for the time you put into this project.

I have 3 questions about this
  1. Are you thinking in moving this into Android platform?
  2. Are you considering adding more scales?
  3. Are you considering adding more strings?
I am glad you liked it! :)

1. I have no plans for now because I am not familiar with mobile apps programming but absolutely a possibility in the future when I have the time. (I am not a professional programmer, it's my hobby :p)
But It works on mobile browsers as well.

2. Yes! I am planing on adding scales. Started with the most used ones but it would be fun to add more scales. Any suggestion?

3. I could do that as well, maybe a 9 string. Never seen a 10>strings unless on youtube (Stevie T, Jared Dines)

Reaction score
Good to know it works on mobile browsers.

About scales... I'd suggest exotic ones as well as Minor Harmonic and Minor Melodic scales, Mixed Scales (first half Major, second Minor and Vice versa), whole tone scales, augmented, Diminished and so on.

Also, it would be SUPER cool if you could ADD a function for CREATING and SAVING/Naming a scale from 5 notes only up to whatever (12 tops, obviously, but that one is already there). That would be super GREAT!... :D

Personally, I'm cool on mapping my fretboard, but these kind of visual helps are always welcome. I've also passed this on to my Bass Player and saved the link into my browser so to access whenever needed.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Very nice! Consider colour per interval? e.g white root, yellow 2nd, orange 3rd, red 4th, purple 5th, blue 6th, green 7th

Herberts

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Good to know it works on mobile browsers.

About scales... I'd suggest exotic ones as well as Minor Harmonic and Minor Melodic scales, Mixed Scales (first half Major, second Minor and Vice versa), whole tone scales, augmented, Diminished and so on.

Also, it would be SUPER cool if you could ADD a function for CREATING and SAVING/Naming a scale from 5 notes only up to whatever (12 tops, obviously, but that one is already there). That would be super GREAT!... :D

Personally, I'm cool on mapping my fretboard, but these kind of visual helps are always welcome. I've also passed this on to my Bass Player and saved the link into my browser so to access whenever needed.
Noted, thanks for your feedback! Great idea with the saving/naming scales. Sounds a bit more challenging programming-wise but I will definitely look into it. :)

ElRay

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Sorry to say I found a bug. The 8th string reverts to F#, no matter what it's set to.

')