French Canadian death metal and other scenes...

• Thread starter Unknown Doodl3.2
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

NemesisTheory

Reaction score
Gorguts' Obscura IS genius, but am I the only who absolutely worships Considered Dead and to a lesser degree, The Erosion Of Sanity? Considered Dead taught me a lot of things about playing death metal in general, and really helped me learn to sing/growl and play difficult riffs simultaneously.

Scott

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dead but Dreaming

Reaction score
Seeing all those bands together in one post, along with taking bands like Beneath the Massacre and Quo Vadis into context (and don't get me wrong, Quo Vadis is one of my fav bands and one of the best live shows I've seen) it seems that most of these Montreal metal bands have one thing in common - they seem to try to fit too many ideas into one song and end up sounding very disjointed.

I'm sure some people really like that sound, but I prefer music that flows a lot better. Even Necrophagist being highly technical still manages to flow with the same idea throughout the entire song and it all feels as one piece, whereas a lot of these songs just have too much.

Unknown Doodl3.2

look at each other..
Reaction score
Seeing all those bands together in one post, along with taking bands like Beneath the Massacre and Quo Vadis into context (and don't get me wrong, Quo Vadis is one of my fav bands and one of the best live shows I've seen) it seems that most of these Montreal metal bands have one thing in common - they seem to try to fit too many ideas into one song and end up sounding very disjointed.

I'm sure some people really like that sound, but I prefer music that flows a lot better. Even Necrophagist being highly technical still manages to flow with the same idea throughout the entire song and it all feels as one piece, whereas a lot of these songs just have too much.

I disagree, the thing I like about these bands so much is that their's so much substance in their playing, and the multiple ideas you speak I feel only enhance this. As far as Unexpect is concerned it's not for everyone. I get sick of them sometimes for the same reasons you stated above and the fact that there's so much going on that you eventually get dizzy. That said, their songwriting is fantastic.

I really think you should give Augury and Martyr a chance. check their myspaces which are in my original post. I'm sure you'd enjoy songs like "Skyless" or Martyr's "Retry Abort Ignore" similar to the way you enjoy Necrophagist I would think. That coming from a guy who hails Muhammed as the absolute king of Tech Death Metal :)

Born_Headless

Frolics in pathos
Reaction score
French Canada is releasing some of the best tech/prog death these days, to be sure. Are there any bands from the country France, aside from Gorod, that write music in a similar vein?

WarriorOfMetal

The Dragonrider
Contributor
Reaction score
i noticed you referred to Unexpect's female singer as a frontwoman.....i kinda got the impression when i saw them live that if anyone in the band is a frontperson, it's one of the guitarists (can't remember the name...he was on stage left when i saw them). she spent a fair amount of time sort of hidden in the back.

god9

Contributor
Reaction score
Gojira is from France.

I really like Beneath the Massacre too

NemesisTheory

Reaction score
From France, Loudblast would probably be the most similar to bands like Obliveon & Gorguts. Sublime Dementia is one of my favorite death metal albums. MySpace.com - Loudblast - Lille, FR - Metal / Death Metal / Thrash - www.myspace.com/loudblast

There's also SUP (Supuration). They're on the weirder side and they have a heavy Voivod influence. If Voivod went death metal, they would sound like Supuration. The Cube is a classic for me. Room Seven is also quite awesome. MySpace.com - S.U.P Spherical Unit Provided SUPURATION - Valenciennes, FR - Metal / Experimental / Death Metal - www.myspace.com/supuration

How about Symbyosis? Epic stuff!
MySpace.com - Symbyosis - Paris, FR - Metal / Death Metal / Progressive - www.myspace.com/symbyosis

Another I'm really fond of is Luen-Ta, though I think I like the old material of Ghost Area better than the new stuff.
MySpace.com - Luen-Ta - Rouen, FR - Metal / Thrash / Industrial - www.myspace.com/luenta

Carcariass: MySpace.com - CARCARIASS - Besançon, Franche-Comté - Metal / Death Metal / Thrash - www.myspace.com/officialcarcariass

There's also a lesser known band called Manimal. Imagine Anacrusis, Thought Industry, and Meshuggah in a blender. MySpace.com - Manimal - toulouse, FR - Metal - www.myspace.com/manimale

Scott

Born_Headless

Frolics in pathos
Reaction score
From France, Loudblast would probably be the most similar to bands like Obliveon & Gorguts. Sublime Dementia is one of my favorite death metal albums. MySpace.com - Loudblast - Lille, FR - Metal / Death Metal / Thrash - www.myspace.com/loudblast

There's also SUP (Supuration). They're on the weirder side and they have a heavy Voivod influence. If Voivod went death metal, they would sound like Supuration. The Cube is a classic for me. Room Seven is also quite awesome. MySpace.com - S.U.P Spherical Unit Provided SUPURATION - Valenciennes, FR - Metal / Experimental / Death Metal - www.myspace.com/supuration

How about Symbyosis? Epic stuff!
MySpace.com - Symbyosis - Paris, FR - Metal / Death Metal / Progressive - www.myspace.com/symbyosis

Another I'm really fond of is Luen-Ta, though I think I like the old material of Ghost Area better than the new stuff.
MySpace.com - Luen-Ta - Rouen, FR - Metal / Thrash / Industrial - www.myspace.com/luenta

Carcariass: MySpace.com - CARCARIASS - Besançon, Franche-Comté - Metal / Death Metal / Thrash - www.myspace.com/officialcarcariass

There's also a lesser known band called Manimal. Imagine Anacrusis, Thought Industry, and Meshuggah in a blender. MySpace.com - Manimal - toulouse, FR - Metal - www.myspace.com/manimale

Scott

Thanks! I'll be sure to look into these bands :hbang:

Latest posts

')