Frequency Eater - Finite States

owenmakesstuff

Reaction score
Hi peeps,

A month ago I posted a song off this record, which I described as dirty sounding prog metal, if I recall correctly. Anyway, I put the entire record online which you can download for free:
https://frequencyeater.bandcamp.com/releases

So yeah, it's pretty dirty sounding, not your average Nolly-tutorial mix, and that's kind of what I was after. I come from playing in grindcore and punk bands in my teens and wanted to have that part of my background in there. I'm not a schooled musician or engineer or anything, and I work a day job and go to uni so music's my go-to hobby. And I guess it does kind of sound like something produced in a basement. This record is more of an EP than a full length so I'm hoping to have the next album flow naturally from this one and be an improvement. For now, enjoy (or not?)! It's 36 minutes of pretty dense material and cross-song references sprinkled around across a couple of songs, might be an interesting listen regardless of whether you dig it or not!

Thanks for checking it out and reading my ramblings,
Owen

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

chassless

Don'tDeserveMyGuitar
Reaction score
seriously in love with the record. i can figure out some slight Ocean Machine influences in track 3, or am i wrong ?

also, are those real drums? that's some insane drumming in the build up at the climax of track 2. also an insane build up, period, it's literally breath taking ._.

i'm gonna keep stalking what stuff you release from now on!

owenmakesstuff

Reaction score
Hey man, thanks again for the continued support :). I'm definitely a big fan of pretty much everything Devin Townsend, but the track was written years before I got into him hah. It's cool that there are similarities noticeable. The drumming is real! I played it on an old Roland TD kit, decided to do do minimal quantizing and play it as tightly as I could, and I used a mix between Superior and Getgood samples to get a somewhat unique sound. I got me a bunch of god AKG mics so I think I'm gonna tweak the technical aspects of live drums and do the net record with those. I'm thinking about doing some playthrough videos on drums too :).

Here's the kit/studio I recorded everything with :)

Rizzo

Reaction score
Back here! Definitely downloading and giving it a spin, and congrats for the release.

Flemmigan

Snoofin' your gear
Reaction score
I'm loving this record. I am a big fan of the tones and the overall aesthetic. Also very impressed to see you played the drums! Great work!

owenmakesstuff

Reaction score
I'm currently recording and editing a music video for End All, Be All for fun; I'm definitely thinking about doing some drums and guitars playthroughs after that :)

Also, seeing Cloudkicker's post about it in my news feed on FB was a really awesome moment lol

Thanks!

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Listened to this after the Cloudkicker shout out (congrats on that by the way because I fuggin love Cloudkicker!) and was pleasantly surprised with the "dirty" mix. I'm really sick and tired of the ultra-polished prog phenomenon of the last few years. The Spotify Prog playlist is just saturated with the same garbage clones. But I digress, lately I've been listening to mostly post metal and stoner metal so seeing a similar mix/recording style injected in prog is a real breath of fresh air.

Awesome stuff man, keep at 'Er!

chassless

Don'tDeserveMyGuitar
Reaction score
^ hey, how about recommending some of that stuff you've been listening to? i can't but relate to what you're saying about the polished clones...!

metallifan3091

Reaction score
^ hey, how about recommending some of that stuff you've been listening to? i can't but relate to what you're saying about the polished clones...!

Are you at all familiar with stoner/post/sludge metal? Just don't wanna share a bunch of iconic (but also obvious) stuff if you're likely to know it already.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
I'll throw in a few of what I've been listening to, but I don't want to hijack the thread too much. I'll include the more iconic ones, too.
Stoner:
High on Fire
Mouth of the Architect
SubRosa
Pallbearer

Cult of Luna
Rosetta
Dirge
Sumac
Harakiri for the Sky
Red Sparrowes

Prog:
Junius
Soen
Crippled Black Phoenix

chassless

Don'tDeserveMyGuitar
Reaction score
I'll throw in a few of what I've been listening to, but I don't want to hijack the thread too much. I'll include the more iconic ones, too.
Stoner:
High on Fire
Mouth of the Architect
SubRosa
Pallbearer

Cult of Luna
Rosetta
Dirge
Sumac
Harakiri for the Sky
Red Sparrowes

Prog:
Junius
Soen
Crippled Black Phoenix

i've already given Pallbearer a listen recently, i quite like a couple of tracks but find it hard to get into for longer. must be it's just not dynamic enough to keep me attentive? something about the vocals maybe?

Isis and Cult of Luna i'm already well familiar with, amazing bunch. only recently heard about Harakiri, aren't they more of the melodeath vein? either way, they give me a bit of a poppy early Katatonia vibe. Rosetta i've got, but not gotten round to listen to yet.

thanks for the suggestions! i'm gonna write them down

metallifan3091

Reaction score
Even if you are familiar with Cult of Luna, you should definitely check out their latest album with Julie Christmas. It's tremendous.

owenmakesstuff

Reaction score
Hijack away by all means! I used to listen to a lot of early Baroness, Ocoai, Kylesa, some Black Tusk, Torche,... I checked out Mouth of the Architect back in the day, pretty solid too, they did a tour with Intronaut as well, right? I fucking love Intronaut. Got into them when Valley of Smoke came out but I love all of their stuff.

chassless

Don'tDeserveMyGuitar
Reaction score
Intronaut is amazing, one of my most listened to band of this year! Can't wait for some more stuff, their latest album felt a little short

')