Frequency help

• Thread starter ke7mix
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ke7mix

Reaction score
So im recording demos for my band and im relatively new to engineering. but when i go to do Post Equilization. What are the essential frequencies that make each instrument stick out in the mix, so everything fits

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

vansinn

Reaction score
Try a search for things like "frequency chart" or related.
There are many good guides and charts to be found, but as usual, some degree of differing ideas, so find a few, try it out, and build your own prefs.

I've always been happy with the smple chart on page 29 in Bob Heil's book "Practical guide for concert sound".
Dunno if it's still available, was published by Melco Publishing, Illinois.
I'll see if I can poke it to verbatim. Plus I have a few links to other ones somewhere..

Daybreak

Reaction score
Well, to begin with, your mindset when mixing should be "cutting" instead of "boosting to make instruments stick out", given that you've tracked nice and full sounding instruments. Because generally, it's not possible to add something that isn't there in the first place with eq, but it's easy to cut away stuff that is there.

KingAenarion

Resident Studio Nerd
Reaction score
What has been said has all been good.

The quickest way to get started is to start with high pass/low pass filters.

If an instrument isn't producing fundamental frequencies below a certain point you DEFINITELY don't need it. A guitar tuned to standard doesn't produce anything below 164Hz, so anything below that is just room sound/muddiness.

Anything below 20Hz is either not heard by the human ear or not replicated by speaker systems so that can go pretty much no matter what, as microphones will tend to pick it up and it can interfere with compression in certain circumstances.

Distorted guitars don't really need anything above 10kHz. Overheads and cymbal mics don't need anything below 500Hz usually

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
^ You got your octave wrong mate it's actually 82hz, 164 is E on the D string :)
Still I agree that 150hz is a good pass point even on detuned guitars. It's surprising how low that fundamental is when you hear it as a pure tone - yes it's not too necessary.

Daybreak

Reaction score
Exactly what I though, the fundamental on an E on a standard-tuned guitar is 82 Hz. Although I wouldn't recommend always high-passing at 162 Hz anyways, especially not if it's metal. My starting points on guitars is always 75 Hz highpass and 12.5 KHz high-pass, and then move around to see what it needs, if I need to give the bass more space etc.

')