Fret board oil options

• Thread starter DimMak
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DimMak

Reaction score
I'm sure this has been beaten to death, but I have a couple 90s Jacksons with super pourus and dry looking rosewood boards, I was wondering if there was a particular oil that would work well for these. I use the Dunlop stuff even after 2 soaks the boards go back to looking pretty dry pretty quick, I'm sure part of it is just how they are but just wanted to see if anyone had any ideas.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
I just use the Dunlop stuff. F1 oil from Music nomad (same thing) is also fine. I've heard of people using bore oil for woodwind instruments, but I can't speak to that. Honestly, I think you could just use unscented mineral oil as well.

However, if the board looks dry after 2 applications that just might be how it looks.

When I lived in a VERY dry climate (Arizona) I used to leave a generous application of Dunlop stuff on the board for about an hour once a year. However, that's as extreme a situation as I've seen.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, dry and looking dry are two different things.

It sounds like you're dealing with the latter.

I've used just about everything, and always come back to plain old mineral oil. It's cheap, readily available, works on everything, and seems to work at least 99% as well as specialty formulations that cost significantly more and contain who knows what.

If the boards just are what they are, which it seems to be the case, you have some options if the look it killing you, like dyes and even burnishing if you want to go all out.

Crash Dandicoot

» B E H O L D
Reaction score
Agreed with Max, mineral oil works everytime. I've used Danish oil to great success, as well. Always use sparingly, a little goes a long way.

Latest posts

')