Fret buzz... Is it just me?

• Thread starter tpl2000
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

tpl2000

Uhn Tiss Uhn Tiss.
Reaction score
Hey all. My PRS SE semi-hollow (made in 2007) has been getting fret buzz, between the 2-8 frets on the low E, and only on that string in those frets. I've seen a couple guitar techs about it, and they say it's just me and the way I've been setting up my guitar. This, doesn't seem quite right to me. Typically if you're getting fret buzz behind the 12th fret it's because you have bad frets or the neck is bent back, right?

Anyone know what the problem may be, or have recommednations for the matter?

Side question or two--
1.) Anyone have a recommendation for where to buy 1.5mm allen wrenches en masse? The hardware stores only sell them in sets with others, the guitar stores don't sell them, and eBay sells 'em for like $1.50 a pop. Bit much, if you ask me.

2.) Routing out the area around a PRS SE tremolo. Wise or unwise? General idea, it's a floating tremolo already. I've got locking tuners on the guitar. Put graphtech saddles on it, and it becomes a bit more like a floyd/Edge.... Right?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Deegatron

Reaction score
you may have a high fret. check your frets with a fret rocker. if you find a high fret it may just need to be taped back down and glued or you may need to level/recrown.

Antiproduct

Reaction score
If you had no fret buzz before this is highly due to climate/humidity change and one or two frets are now higher than the other as Deegatron mentioned. You just have to find them and then you or your guitar tech can "slap" them (actually very gentle tapping) wih a rubber hammer back in.
Or you have to adjust the trussord new

jordanky

Contributor
Reaction score
Does the buzz come through your amp or choke out any notes completely? As a tech, I run into this discussion with guys needing setups all the time. There is a very fine line to ride between low action and fret buzz, there is a little give and take. The only way this problem will be cured (unless you just have a high fret jumping out at ya) is a quick fret dressing from a tech who knows what he's doing and it will benefit not only the buzzing issue you're having, but it will make the guitar as a whole more enjoyable to play.

tpl2000

Uhn Tiss Uhn Tiss.
Reaction score
Does the buzz come through your amp or choke out any notes completely? As a tech, I run into this discussion with guys needing setups all the time. There is a very fine line to ride between low action and fret buzz, there is a little give and take. The only way this problem will be cured (unless you just have a high fret jumping out at ya) is a quick fret dressing from a tech who knows what he's doing and it will benefit not only the buzzing issue you're having, but it will make the guitar as a whole more enjoyable to play.

Naw, the fret buzz is present even without my amplifier. One of the benefits of a semi-hollow--the unplugged volume is somewhere between a solid body and an acoustic, lol.

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
Naw, the fret buzz is present even without my amplifier. One of the benefits of a semi-hollow--the unplugged volume is somewhere between a solid body and an acoustic, lol.

I think he's saying if it doesn't come through the amp, then it may not be worth worrying over. If it comes through the amp, then you do have an issue. I'm ok with a little buzz on the low E as long as i can pick a little lighter and get a clean buzz free note.

The hardest part about fret buzz to me is deciding what's acceptable at a given action height. A man could drive himself crazy trying to get rid of something that really will never matter in a jam session. A lot of techs i've been to note that some folks have unrealistic expectations - which is not surprising since you've got folks on the web saying they have .1 mm action with absolutely no buzz.

tpl2000

Uhn Tiss Uhn Tiss.
Reaction score
I think he's saying if it doesn't come through the amp, then it may not be worth worrying over. If it comes through the amp, then you do have an issue. I'm ok with a little buzz on the low E as long as i can pick a little lighter and get a clean buzz free note.

The hardest part about fret buzz to me is deciding what's acceptable at a given action height. A man could drive himself crazy trying to get rid of something that really will never matter in a jam session. A lot of techs i've been to note that some folks have unrealistic expectations - which is not surprising since you've got folks on the web saying they have .1 mm action with absolutely no buzz.

Hah, I'm the kind of person that would adore having that kind of action with no buzz. I know it's highly unlikely, however.... I have a couple other guitars, that have saddles--they have 1mm or less, though. I play very lightly with them in mind of that, however, to avoid the buzz. But anyways, I did actually meet a reasonable guitar tech today--he says the buzz is due to a bump in the frets, that one or two of them is higher than the rest, which is causing the buzz.

Any opinions on the routing question?

Bodes

Reaction score
Sorry to sound like a dick.... But you buy a few hundred dollars (or more) on a guitar but can't morally justify $1.50 to buy a tool that could make your guitar feel more expensive? :nuts:
Plus you are spending how much on guitar techs???

Come hither morning coffee, uncle Bodes is cranky. :realmad:

P.s. The better quality the Allan wrench the less likely it will bust your truss rod.

tpl2000

Uhn Tiss Uhn Tiss.
Reaction score
Sorry to sound like a dick.... But you buy a few hundred dollars (or more) on a guitar but can't morally justify $1.50 to buy a tool that could make your guitar feel more expensive? :nuts:
Plus you are spending how much on guitar techs???

Come hither morning coffee, uncle Bodes is cranky. :realmad:

P.s. The better quality the Allan wrench the less likely it will bust your truss rod.

Um, PRS SE models all use hex wrenches for truss rod adjustment. I'm looking for cheap allen wrenches because they use like 1.5mm for saddle adjustment, and on the wraparounds they're used for intonation. I'm looking for cheap allen wrenches, because those things are TINY and I'm legally blind.

How long do you think it would take me to lose one, exactly, given that one eye doesn't see and the other one is 20/200...?

')